• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Isinglass - Manchester

Has anyone been to the fairly newly opened Isinglass restaurant in Manchester?

It's actually in Urmston, where I grew up, and I can't really imagine a less likely location...

Thom? Anyone?

I'm going back to Manchester for Christmas and thought I could take my Mum.

The only review I can find was quite positive, but was also written by David Blunkett - yes that one.

I love animals.

They are delicious.

Carlovski,

I have heard of it, but sadly I haven't been. I have a few friends in Urmston though, so it is on my 'threatening to go' list.

I have seen a handful of reviews, and they've all been very positive. City life loved it (Jonathan Schofield I think) as did The Metro (the excellent Emma-Jean Sturgess). I think old Ray King (Manchester Evening News) also gave it the thumbs up.

The David Blunkett review you've found (bizarre) does seem to sum it up pretty well, but there is also a Sugarvine review below:

http://www.sugarvine.com/Manchester/minisi...estaurant=18461

All in all it seems to be small, independent and passionate, with some interesting food competently cooked using quality, carefully sourced local ingredients. Sounds a good combination to me.

The owners were involved in Palmiro too, so if you liked the latter I'm sure you'll like Isinglass too.

Let me know what you think.

Cheers

Thom

It's all true... I admit to being the MD of Holden Media, organisers of the Northern Restaurant and Bar exhibition, the Northern Hospitality Awards and other Northern based events too numerous to mention.

I don't post here as frequently as I once did, but to hear me regularly rambling on about bollocks - much of it food and restaurant-related - in a bite-size fashion then add me on twitter as "thomhetheringto".

Been past here a few times as it is just round the corner from the bloke's sister's house (which will be handy for when we finally get round to trying the place out, not far to stumble home). Looks pretty sparse inside, and yes, urmston seems a strange location for a top restaurant but apparently they are redeveloping that monstrrosity of a shopping precint so it is an area obviously on the up

The Independent has a small snippet on it here too:

http://enjoyment.independent.co.uk/food_an...sp?story=584204

Surprised so many people know Urmston! I'm trying to think what building it must be in - I used to walk down Flixton road to get to school!

It is an odd place for a restaurant, the previous culinary highlights being the 'County Grill' and numerous indian restaurants. There used to be an OK Greek place I seem to remember.

Any restaurant which serves a 'Chat Moss' salad gets thumbs up from me (Excellent soil you know!)

Anyone remember the big pub 'restaurant' (Term used loosely) calle dthe Swinging Bridge - gor demolished when they buit the Trafford Centre.

I used to live there. Could tell you a few things about that place.....

I love animals.

They are delicious.

Not sure I fancy eating anywhere that's named after the dried swim bladder of a sturgeon.

was just thinking exactly the same, quite a catchy name, but quite unappetising if you know what it is (an agent used to 'fine' wine to clarify it)

gary

And beer too I think; apart from Becks which uses something else (or so the tale goes), making it the only truly "vegetarian" beer.

And beer too I think; apart from Becks which uses something else (or so the tale goes), making it the only truly "vegetarian" beer.

My local, the esteemed Marble Arch Brewpub in Manchester, does a brisk trade in all of its splendid beers, all of which are organic and vegan.

Natch. :)

Allan Brown

"If you're a chef on a salary, there's usually a very good reason. Never, ever, work out your hourly rate."

Culinary Bear,

I'm getting little concerned now...

Not are you only a Mancunian (like me), I also find from one of your earlier posts you are an ex-biologist (like me). Now, I find the Marble Arch is your local (like me!).

Actually, I've now moved, but as the first inhabitant (Dec 99) of Angel Meadow for a long time the Marble Arch was my favoured local (above the Beer House and The Pot of Beer).

In fact, if you search on here you'll see I have waxed lyrical about it on many times, but sadly I think it has slipped since it's heydey (and particularly when Phil ran it), and lately I have found the staff so grumpy and witless that I can't bare to go back there.

They were quite staggeringly rude last time I was there with - namedrop - The great Andy Lynes and some guy called Bourdain in tow, and we were virtually kicked out.

As a man who braves Glossop (one horse) town centre on a Friday night and thinks nothing of a quiet drink in Mary D's (Beswick) it takes a lot to offend me. But they did.

Sad.

Cheers

Thom

It's all true... I admit to being the MD of Holden Media, organisers of the Northern Restaurant and Bar exhibition, the Northern Hospitality Awards and other Northern based events too numerous to mention.

I don't post here as frequently as I once did, but to hear me regularly rambling on about bollocks - much of it food and restaurant-related - in a bite-size fashion then add me on twitter as "thomhetheringto".

Culinary Bear,

I'm getting  little concerned now...

Not are you only a Mancunian (like me), I also find from one of your earlier posts you are an ex-biologist (like me). Now, I find the Marble Arch is your local (like me!).

Actually, I've now moved, but as the first inhabitant (Dec 99) of Angel Meadow for a long time the Marble Arch was my favoured local (above the Beer House and The Pot of Beer).

In fact, if you search on here you'll see I have waxed lyrical about it on many times, but sadly I think it has slipped since it's heydey (and particularly when Phil ran it), and lately I have found the staff so grumpy and witless that I can't bare to go back there.

They were quite staggeringly rude last time I was there with - namedrop - The great Andy Lynes and some guy called Bourdain in tow, and we were virtually kicked out.

As a man who braves Glossop (one horse) town centre on a Friday night and thinks nothing of a quiet drink in Mary D's (Beswick) it takes a lot to offend me. But they did.

The service isn't too bad when I've been in, bearing in mind it's only been three months sice I moved to the area; when were you last in?

Normally I'm just in with a pint and a book. There's a bearded bloke called Adam who's often behind the bar, he's friendly though not overly familiar and pulls a good pint.

It's not bad for a local; could be worse, could be a 'Spoons.

I'm beginning to worry about the similaritied between the two of us, although as you weigh about as much as my left leg there's little chance of shared parentage. :)

You'll have to brave the Marble again; their recent batch of Chocolate Heavy is rather moreish, especially to someone like me who grew up on the slightly maltier, sweeter, less overtly hoppy beers of Scotland.

Allan.

Allan Brown

"If you're a chef on a salary, there's usually a very good reason. Never, ever, work out your hourly rate."

Oh a couple of months back, with Andy Lynes, Anthony Bourdain and others in tow.

I used to know the landlord really well, but they've been swapping duty managers quite a lot and the women we had in on the night was rude, agressive and in my opinion slightly bonkers.

We were literally forcibly ejected, and it was only the sensitive disposition of my party which prevented me getting all Mancunian and being a little more forceful in expressing my opinions on her behaviour to the lady in question.

All too painful to remember...

It's a pity as I love that pub and waxed lyrical about it to anyone unfortunate enough to mention Manchester pubs in my vicinity. My own favourite was actually alternating pints of N4 with bottles of the oh-so-morish peach lambic.

My two best MA storys are:

1) The fact that when looking up 'Manchester' in UK travel guides in a NY bookshop I found a particularly chunky and authoratative tome that only listed about 5-6 places under 'Food and Drink' for the city. Yes, the Marble Arch, bizarrely, was one of them. I found the idea of Sex and the City style Manhattanites teetering past the grim, decaying facades of Rochdale Road to get to the Marble hilarious.

Of course I did actually end up with a similar situation with Anthony et al (minus Manalo high heels) but after the reception we got at the pub it wasn't quite as hilarious as I imagined.

2) When the TV programme 'Linda Green' was filming in Manchester, the technical crew were living in nearby flats and the Marble became their local. Sometimes the 'stars' such as Lisa Tarbuck, Amanda Holden and Jamie Theakston followed them.

One evening immediately after the 'prostitute/bondage' Sunday tabloid revelations about Jamie he was in the Marble sat by the fire. He was growing agitated that two blokes with camaras were pointing at him, and said words to the effect that he was having a quiet drink and didn't want pictures.

'No no', the wooly jumpered, beared, middle-aged, paunchy snappers said, 'We're pub nerds (they may not have used this exact expression) and we're trying to photgraph the original Victorian tiling; could you move please'.

How we laughed.

Good to see you yesterday CB, mabye you'll even tempt me back to the Marble at some point (though the woman did shout 'You're barred!' as we left)...

Cheers

Thom