• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Superbowl Food

jhlurie

• 11 months later...

Junk food all the way, baybee. Pizza would be haute cuisine in this context.

I usually make nachos; not chips dipped into a molten day-glo cheeselike sauce, but something a bit better than that. Put a single layer of tortilla chips on a cookie sheet, add a dollop of refried beans to each chip, sprinkle some garlic powder on some, cumin on others, powdered chiles on others (the variation from chip to chip is nice). Sprinkle with shredded cheese (I usually use a 50/50 mix of pepper jack and medium cheddar). Add other toppings randomly on each chip; slices of fresh or pickled jalapeno, chopped bell pepper, green onion tops, whatever seems good at the time.

Broil. Serve with beer.

Mmm, beer.

Edit: The nachos I've described would probably be 'haute cuisine,' given my description of pizza as haute. The day-glo cheeselike stuff is beneath contempt even for these purposes; a common nacho sauce is Velveeta 'cheese' melted with a can of Ro-Tel chile/tomatoes. Ro-Tel may not be available in all areas of the US, and even though my tastes may generally be simple, Velveeta is beyond the pale.

Edited by Human Bean (log)

One year we made the mistake of thinking that by going to an ethnic restaurant we would miss the hoopla and be able to have a nice dinner. WRONG! We went to one of the Portuguese places in the Ironbound section of Newark, NJ -- and everyone there, apparently including the kitchen staff -- were far more engrossed in the game than anything else.

I'm flying back from Lyon via Paris that day. I intend to be eating the Rosette de Lyon avec 3% Truffes Noir which I will have brought back with me from Les Halles in Lyon. It will be poached and then sliced into rounds and served with some pommes ala vapeur that is doused in beurre blanc. And a perfectly a point St. Marcelin from La Mere Richard in Lyon will follow. This will be topped off by some chocolates from Bernachon with a nice cup of coffee. I think after spedning a few days in the Rhone, with one of them doing serious wine tasting, Burgundy might be the drink of choice while watching the Giants or Jets, or possibly both play that day :wink:.

I make this Good Housekeeping layered taco dip ( cream cheese, chili, sourcream,salsa) which I have been trying to NOT make for years...but since we often Super Bowl with the same group, it is regularly requested. We order wings from Cluck U, and then make pizzas with the kids, lots of toppings to choose from...And so an ice cream bar for dessert, though now that the kids are older, we might make a switch to regular cakes and pastries.

Edited it to mention that if the Eagles make it, all bets are off...who knows what kind of party that might entail...NJT, from exit 8A south,its Eagles territory.

Edited by Kim WB (log)

Mini Reubens (open-faced, bitesized, made on party rye slices and broiled - but you use Dijon mustard rather than the traditional Thousand Island Dressing) and beer

Bratwurst, cold cuts, beer

Selection of mustards, olives, pickles, crunchy scallions

Crackers, breads, pot o' butter :biggrin:

Cold roasted peppers, cheeses

Vinegary coleslaw, potato salad

And did I mention beer?

:rolleyes:

I don't understand why rappers have to hunch over while they stomp around the stage hollering.  It hurts my back to watch them. On the other hand, I've been thinking that perhaps I should start a rap group here at the Old Folks' Home.  Most of us already walk like that.

Mini Reubens (open-faced, bitesized, made on party rye slices and broiled - but you use Dijon mustard rather than the traditional Thousand Island Dressing) and beer

This sounds excellent! In a junk-food idiom, you could use those packages of thin-sliced processed meats, rather than 'real' deli corned beef. I like it, and will probably try it; the substitution of dijon for thousand island seems a bit odd, but it would work. Not a Reuben, but good.

GUMBO from heaven and seven

Buffalo Wings

Beer

BTW I was at Lambeau last night...man did the pack stink things up...

and how about that 49ers - Giants game THAT WAS AWESOME - too bad that wasnt a Super Bowl - one of the best games I have ever seen!

Edited by awbrig (log)

This sounds excellent! In a junk-food idiom, you could use those packages of thin-sliced processed meats, rather than 'real' deli corned beef. I like it, and will probably try it; the substitution of dijon for thousand island seems a bit odd, but it would work. Not a Reuben, but good.

Actual recipe:

Mini-Reuben Sandwiches

Dijon mustard

Thousand Island Dressing (optional)

1 loaf sliced party rye bread

1 1-lb can sauerkraut, well-drained and pressed between paper towels until dry as possible.

sliced corned beef (I actually do use the good stuff - either make it myself or buy it from good deli)

3 oz Swiss cheese slices

(If you can't find party rye, cut slices of regular rye into quarters)

Pre-heat oven to 400º.

Place bread slices in single layer on baking sheet and put in oven to partially toast. Remove and spread each with Dijon mustard. (Add a small dollop of 1000 Island Dressing, too, if you like, but don't leave out that Dijon. I've tried it without it and just believe me it is NOT AS GOOD.) Top with 1 heaping tsp sauerkraut, several small slices corned beef, one strip of swiss cheese.

Put back in oven and bake until cheese melts. Serve immediately.

This makes about 26 mini-Reubens, and they are very popular and easy to eat so be sure you have enough for everyone.

I don't understand why rappers have to hunch over while they stomp around the stage hollering.  It hurts my back to watch them. On the other hand, I've been thinking that perhaps I should start a rap group here at the Old Folks' Home.  Most of us already walk like that.

Jaymes, a mere nitpick, but just wondering:

1 1-lb can sauerkraut, well-drained and pressed

A can? Really?? I hardly live in an area where sauerkraut is one of the basic food groups (neither do you, apparently), but, in a can?? I've only ever seen sauerkraut in a bottle, refrigerated. It may be available in a can, but I've never looked.

That said, it's probably not that hard to do from scratch (I've done kimchee from scratch) and I'm not questioning the idea of using a prepared product; it's just the idea that it's available in a can that I find weird.

Jaymes, a mere nitpick, but just wondering:
1 1-lb can sauerkraut, well-drained and pressed

A can? Really?? I hardly live in an area where sauerkraut is one of the basic food groups (neither do you, apparently), but, in a can?? I've only ever seen sauerkraut in a bottle, refrigerated. It may be available in a can, but I've never looked.

That said, it's probably not that hard to do from scratch (I've done kimchee from scratch) and I'm not questioning the idea of using a prepared product; it's just the idea that it's available in a can that I find weird.

Where I am currently living, you can buy sauerkraut in many ways, including canned and jarred, unrefrigerated; or fresh and refrigerated. Obviously, you can also make it yourself if you have the time and interest. I have done that as well, but can guarantee you that if I am attempting to create a somewhat quick snack-type food to be enjoyed primarily while also enjoying some sort of spectator sport, I'd not be bothering with all that slicing, and packing into crocks, weighing it down, allowing it to ferment for six weeks, packing into jars, etc.

I got the "Mini Reubens" recipe some thirty years ago while living in the Philippines. There sauerkraut came primarily processed and packaged into unrefrigerated cans or jars; I do not recall ever seeing it available fresh. Allthough I should add that when I lived there (and in Hong Kong, for that matter) many people did make kimchee out of cabbage (among other things - my own personal favorite being scallions) which is, as you pointed out (in the version most familiar to Westerners anyway), a dish somewhat similar to sauerkraut.

Obviously I completely agree with you: the better the ingredients, the more superior the final dish.

So, if you have the time and inclination, you most certainly can ferment your own cabbage, as well as bake your own rye bread, corn your own beef, pickle your own cucumbers for your 1000 Island Dressing, stew your own tomatoes for your 1000 Island Dressing, make your own mayonnaise for your 1000 Island Dressing, prepare your own Dijon-style mustard, and, I guess, if it comes to that, even make your own artisanal Swiss cheese.

Or, you could buy your prepared sauerkraut in whatever form appeals to you and is affordable and readily available.

Ditto the rye bread, 1000 Island Dressing, Dijon mustard, Swiss cheese.

Of all of these posts/suggestions, the only one I personally would NOT consider is your suggestion of using that cheap and (I think) unpleasant "thin-sliced and processed meat."

Personally, I believe that choice would ruin the whole thing.

But hey - in food as in most things - whatever works.

:rolleyes:

Edited by Jaymes (log)

i might pull out many uber-fancy "mini cheese burgers." a blob of ground beef on top of a mini-rye. top with cheese. in the over for 10 minutes. a fun bite-sized snack. great for kids. top with chopped scallion or thinly sliced red onion. fancy fancy stuff here.

Huevos Rancheros in tortillas for the early birds

Chicken Wing Pizzas

Beef Short Ribs

Italian "pressed" foccacia sangwiches

Turkey & Duck Chili

Pasta Salad

Uber Olive/Pickle tray

and the Mongo PUMPERNICKEL BREAD BOWL

Bevs -

Beer, Wine, Mint Juleps, Mojitos, and Martini Bar

Huevos Rancheros in tortillas for the early birds

Yum. 'Breakfast Tacos.'

Now there's a good idea.

:smile:

Edited by Jaymes (log)

GUMBO from heaven and seven

Buffalo Wings

Beer

BTW I was at Lambeau last night...man did the pack stink things up...

and how about that 49ers - Giants game THAT WAS AWESOME - too bad that wasnt a Super Bowl - one of the best games I have ever seen!

Gumbo, eh?

As for that Giants-49ers game I'm not sure how to feel. First the Giants absolutely dominate. Then they screw up by the numbers. Then the game ends with a call so bad that its been officially questioned by the NFL management today. Yes, I'm sure the Superbowl itself won't be nearly as interesting.

Jon Lurie, aka "jhlurie"

Personally for the superbowl I am a hot dogs or italian sausage (SAAAASAGE!) kind of guy.

Jason Perlow, Co-Founder eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters

Foodies who Review South Florida (Facebook) | offthebroiler.com - Food Blog (archived) | View my food photos on Instagram

Twittter: @jperlow | Mastodon @jperlow@journa.host

So, GordonCooks....what is the Mongo Pumpernickel Bowl?

We have a local bakery that makes a pretty big Pumpernickel - so the "Mongo-ness" come from the gallon of sour cream used to fill the bowl.

Much more interesting are the chicken wing pizzas: You make the traditional pie (cheese & pepperoni) and then cover with chicken (wing or thigh meat), extra cheese, and drizzle with bleu cheese when it comes out of the oven. We usually make a Buffalo style, a Boss Sauce style, and a CheeseSteak style.

Much more interesting are the chicken wing pizzas: You make the traditional pie (cheese & pepperoni) and then cover with chicken (wing or thigh meat), extra cheese,  and drizzle with bleu cheese when it comes out of the oven.

While I have no doubt that you, Gordon, might be a very nice and normal and pleasant person, and so therefore with no ill intent towards you and yours: THIS sounds absolutely disgusting. Gross. Disgustingly gross.

i agree gordon. no celery?

Much more interesting are the chicken wing pizzas: You make the traditional pie (cheese & pepperoni) and then cover with chicken (wing or thigh meat), extra cheese,  and drizzle with bleu cheese when it comes out of the oven.

While I have no doubt that you, Gordon, might be a very nice and normal and pleasant person, and so therefore with no ill intent towards you and yours: THIS sounds absolutely disgusting. Gross. Disgustingly gross.

Not as bad as one would think - It's basically a marriage of pizza and chicken wings. And, yes, it was concocted during a late night house party. Think if it moreso as a pizza with some morsels of tasty chicken bits with a few drops of bleu cheese on them.

PS - Has anyone heard of a garbage plate ?

[Not as bad as one would think - It's basically a marriage of pizza and chicken wings. And, yes, it was concocted during a late night house party. Think if it moreso as a pizza with some morsels of tasty chicken bits with a few drops of bleu cheese on them.

PS - Has anyone heard of a garbage plate ?

Actually, GC, this is not improving your case! However, I suspect that anything called a "garbage plate" will top it. And without getting into the whole La Nina inter-racial marriage issue, suffice to day that not ALL late night bar foods should marry! I know a case of a very Nacho kinda guy hooking up with a crazy mozarella stick sorta gal, and when they divorced, the children suffered terribly!

A garbage plate is an upstate thing. 2 Hamburgers or Hot Dogs over a bed of home fries, Mac salad covered with whatever burger condiments (hot sauce, onions, mustard, ketchup, etc) Had more than my share during my drunken college days but I'm a little over the hill now.

What your regional Apres-Booze meal ? Some notables I've seen are

Boston - Chinese Food

Philly - CheeseSteaks and Italian Sausages

NY - Anything

Chicago ???

LA ???