• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Superbowl Food

jhlurie

I'm pretty much decided to make a big pan of frito pie, and one of those hollowed-out-loaf-of-bread pressed sandwiches, like you take to a picnic.Meats, cheeses, tapenade, good mustard&mayo. Stick it wrapped in foil on my comal with my big skillet to weight it down overnight.

May the best team win!

For the NFC championship, we made cheesesteak strombolis, four different varieties, some with whiz, some with peppers, some with mushrooms, etc, made with half-frozen ribeyes cut paper thin with my freshly sharpened Global. We also made some some pan seared hot dogs from the local Polish butcher shop. For the big game, I'm thinking of making a rye bread stuffed with fried onion, sauerkraut, and kielbasi from the same shop, seasoned with caraway seeds, and maybe a chipotle macs-n-cheese caserole. We're not hosting this one, so it's got to be easily transportable food.

FLY EAGLES FLY!!!!

Welcome Tkrup!

So where's your local Polish butcher shop? And what do they have there? C'mon - you gotta 'fess up now. You can't start a sentence like that in this crowd and not finish it... :biggrin:

Ostrowski's Famous.

http://ostrowskifamous.homestead.com/Storefront.html

I think they do mail order too. But they don't take credit cards in the store.

They have a small but respectable selection of Polish grocery items as well.

As it looks now, my superbowl menu is finalized.

Anchor Bay Sauced Buffalo Wings

Atomic Buffalo Turds (smoked jalepenos stuffed with cream cheese and wrapped with bacon)

Nachos made with TJs Soy-Flax tortilla chips, good hearty chili made with black soybeans, and lots of the great fixings like hot pepper, real gooey jack cheese, pickled jalepenos, sour cream, guacamole, etc. Bar style food taken to the limit.

Little Smokies slow-cooked in the crockpot with BBQ sauce

Sausage Balls

Maybe a meat, veggie, and cheese tray.

He don't mix meat and dairy,

He don't eat humble pie,

So sing a miserere

And hang the bastard high!

- Richard Wilbur and John LaTouche from Candide

For half-time:

Barbecue - aka pulled pork sandwiches (I am smoking the boston butt today).

Baked beans

Cole Slaw

For snacking before and during the game:

Smoked Chicken Nachos (the chicken is being smoked today too)

Stuffed Mushrooms

Crudites and dips

For drinks:

Assorted beers

Frozen daiquiris

Champagne

Dave

I have the menu planned and have handed out easy things for people to bring with them when they come over. It seems like everyone wants to contribute, which is great, but sometimes it either ruins my theme or it just isn't yummy.

But for Superbowl, I don't think it is time to be fancy, it is time to bring out the onion dip! (homemade of course :biggrin: )

Baked Ham with a classic Coke and Burbon glaze

~soft rolls with all the sandwich fixens on the side~

7 layer dip

Corn chips and Salsa

Potato Chips (and I mean the full fat Ruffles!) w/onion dip

Shrimp w/dipping sauce (guest is bringing)

Mini onion tartlets

Crudite w/Artichoke Garlic dip (guest is bringing)

Beer

Cocktails

Wine

Soda

Water

My goodness -reading my menu looks like a salt fest. I will have to make sure to drink some of that water!

I've decided on my menu, mostly:

Wings, hot

Turkey chili and fixings

A small amount of vegetarian chili for the veg guest who is coming

Clam dip, with Ritz crackers, which my Bostonian roommie insists are ultra-authentic.

A big platter of crudite

Popcorn

Somebody else is bringing dessert.

Two people are on liquid diets--one who is having surgery on Monday, one who had surgery last Monday. (Sheesh.) So I'm trying to think of one more item that will be totally liquid--perhaps potato soup?--so they can feel like part of the gang too.

We're doing a version of a French Quarter "cochon du lait". A porkbutt larded with chopped fresh garlic, jalapeno, and thyme. We'll put it in a low(180) oven overnight.(Another way is seared and then put in a crockpot, also good). Either way its butter tender, slapped on a roll with choices of:creole mustard, muffeletta olive mix, or a vinegared cole slaw. My wife is making jalapeno poppers too. Who knows what the other couples will bring. Add margharita's(Sauza, cointreau, lime)and copious amounts of local beer, and its gonna be a party.Ialmost forgot, my wife also made key lime pies for dessert.

Edited by Timh (log)

I've decided on my menu, mostly:

Wings, hot

Turkey chili and fixings

A small amount of vegetarian chili for the veg guest who is coming

Clam dip, with Ritz crackers, which my Bostonian roommie insists are ultra-authentic.

A big platter of crudite

Popcorn

Somebody else is bringing dessert.

Two people are on liquid diets--one who is having surgery on Monday, one who had surgery last Monday. (Sheesh.) So I'm trying to think of one more item that will be totally liquid--perhaps potato soup?--so they can feel like part of the gang too.

Potato soup would probably be good. Might check with them if you're considering it creamed, sometimes there's an issue with milk products after recent surgery. But you can make a damn fine pureed potato soup without the cream/milk. :rolleyes:

Menu sounds tasty -- and what would it be without clam dip for NE. :biggrin::laugh:

Judith Love

North of the 30th parallel

One woman very courteously approached me in a grocery store, saying, "Excuse me, but I must ask why you've brought your dog into the store." I told her that Grace is a service dog.... "Excuse me, but you told me that your dog is allowed in the store because she's a service dog. Is she Army or Navy?" Terry Thistlewaite

Veggies, chips, dips...

mini hot dogs

Wings

Anti Pasta platter w/ the Italian meats and cheeses

Kosher meats platter with turkey, roast beef, corned beef, pickles, slaw, salads...

A friend is making a surprise dish... rumors say a pasta w/ a vodka cream sauce.

entenmann's cake--a birthday request

cupcakes

lots of beer, a small variety of liquor

I'm sure some other items will turn up as well...

SuperBowl Sunday!

GOOD TIMES!!! :biggrin:

Blessed are those who engage in lively conversation with the helplessly mute, for they shall be called, "Dentists." (anonymous)

Life is too short for bad Caesar Salad. (Me)

Why would you poison yourself by eating a non-organic apple? (HL)

Less than 2 hrs to go...1 hr before guests start arriving...

Smoked Salmon with truffle oil and salmon roe

Jumbo (U-8) shrimp cocktail

Nachos & potato chips with various dips, salsa and guacamole

Mini Beef Filet sandwiches

Cheesesteak with Au Jus

Black angus burger with chipotle BBQ sauce

Drinks:

Beers - Guiness, Dogfish Head, Rogue (Morrimoto), Omme gang

Wines - Chardonnay, Sav Blanc, Merlot, Cab Sav, Bordeaux, Pinot Noir and if the Eagles win, a Champagne.

Edited by percyn (log)

First wave: Stadium-Style Nachos with Home-Made Monterrey Jack/Cheddar Cheese Sauce with Green Chiles and Salsa

gallery_2_4_7804.jpg

Jason Perlow, Co-Founder eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters

Foodies who Review South Florida (Facebook) | offthebroiler.com - Food Blog (archived) | View my food photos on Instagram

Twittter: @jperlow | Mastodon @jperlow@journa.host

yum, nachos!

I have the superbowl on in the background, I was watching it for a bit but they have dubbed over it with Japanese commentators and it is annoying to listen to. :blink:

It just isn't the same watching it here by myself in Japan on a Monday morning, it started at 8:00am Japan time....

I am snacking though!

gallery_6134_549_39559.jpg

dried fish and pickled plums.....

GO BROWNS!

sorry just getting ready for next year.. :unsure:

Kristin Wagner, aka "torakris"

I baked a glazed salami that turned out to be pretty good.

I also made the beef satay with a peanut sauce that I saw on America's Test Kitchen. That was a big hit.

Some people say the glass is half empty, others say it is half full, I say, are you going to drink that?

Ben Wilcox

benherebfour@gmail.com

We had summer rolls, vietnamese spring rolls and an awesome cold asparagus. Preceded by the requiste chips and dips because I was outvoted by the kids.

Although we didn't watch the game, Paul and I did a trip down memory lane as we watched the half time show and recalled the half time show that the company I used to work for produced when the game was in Minneapolis. Paul and I recalled that we never worked so hard, for months on end.

Susan Fahning aka "snowangel"

yum, nachos!

I have the superbowl on in the background, I was watching it for a bit but they have dubbed over it with Japanese commentators and it is annoying to listen to. :blink:

It just isn't the same watching it here by myself in Japan on a Monday morning, it started at 8:00am Japan time....

Ah, the famously lame "international feed". I've heard that in the U.K., for example, they have Rugby players vainly trying to explain the game to that audience. Not that the American commentators are all that good anymore either.

I'm a real dissapointment. I had a normal dinner and didn't snack during the game at all. Well, okay, there was that one stick of gum.

I swear, it must have been the absense of John Madden. Just listening to that guy usually makes me hungry.

Jon Lurie, aka "jhlurie"

We were unable to go anywhere or to entertain so it was just my wife and myself. Of course, chili and wings seem to be required items so that's what we did, with some variations just to keep it interesting.

The chili, to use the term very broadly, was Rick Bayless' Black Beans and Greens, with the corn masa dumplings. I used a guajillo/pasilla based sauce and chopped kale for the greens. It was a nice combination, hearty and satisfying.

I also made Bufalo Chipotle wings- note the spelling- made with mostly Bufalo Chipotle Sauce, and a little Blazing Saddles thrown in for kicks. Very tasty and a nice change of pace.

aka Michael

Chi mangia bene, vive bene!

"...And bring us the finest food you've got, stuffed with the second finest."

"Excellent, sir. Lobster stuffed with tacos."

We had a fairly traditional Canadian tasting menu, interrupted only by live reports from Jacksonville compliments of a couple of pals who were sober enough to find the stadium.

1. Crudites and chips, guacamole, salsa /Heineken

2. Grilled coss lettuce hearts with pungent vinaigrette, sauteed side-stripe shrimp and Dungeness crab heaped high. /Mission Hills 5 Vineyards Pinot Grigio; Cedar Creek Chardonnay

3. Garlic-crusted grilled deep-cut sirloin steaks, about 3" and 1.5 kilos each with Hy's 'Only' glaze. Wild mushroom risotto. /Jackson-Triggs Grand Reserve Meritage

4. More Heineken.

Everything was delicious and except for the grilling during Paul McCartney's set, was stress-free to plate and serve. The risotto disappointed though: I had experimented with California organic arborio that was just too soft. It tasted good, but was porridgey (I should have adjusted my stir time) and looked like Yasser Arafat's death mask.

The best part of the day though, was being surrounded by gorgeous, football-savvy women who drink lager from the bottle and swear in the affirmative immediately following immacualte receptions. Plus, they asked life-affirming questions such as: "Would you care for more steak to go with the beer I'm just about to bring you?"

All day long, as they say.

Edited by jamiemaw (log)

from the thinly veneered desk of:

Jamie Maw

Food Editor

Vancouver magazine

www.vancouvermagazine.com

Foodblog: In the Belly of the Feast - Eating BC

"Profumo profondo della mia carne"

I'm pretty much decided to make a big pan of frito pie, and one of those hollowed-out-loaf-of-bread pressed sandwiches, like you take to a picnic.Meats, cheeses, tapenade, good mustard&mayo. Stick it wrapped in foil on my comal with my big skillet to weight it down overnight.

May the best team win!

For the NFC championship, we made cheesesteak strombolis, four different varieties, some with whiz, some with peppers, some with mushrooms, etc, made with half-frozen ribeyes cut paper thin with my freshly sharpened Global. We also made some some pan seared hot dogs from the local Polish butcher shop. For the big game, I'm thinking of making a rye bread stuffed with fried onion, sauerkraut, and kielbasi from the same shop, seasoned with caraway seeds, and maybe a chipotle macs-n-cheese caserole. We're not hosting this one, so it's got to be easily transportable food.

FLY EAGLES FLY!!!!

Welcome Tkrup!

So where's your local Polish butcher shop? And what do they have there? C'mon - you gotta 'fess up now. You can't start a sentence like that in this crowd and not finish it... :biggrin:

Ostrowski's Famous.

http://ostrowskifamous.homestead.com/Storefront.html

I think they do mail order too. But they don't take credit cards in the store.

They have a small but respectable selection of Polish grocery items as well.

I'm glad someone identified Ostrowski's, they're awesome!. On a less traveled street (Washington) in Baltimore's Fell's Point neighborhood. Best fresh kielbasa I've ever had. Great smoked kielbasa also. Worth the trip.

Before the game:

Patriot-ritas (margaritas made with curaco instead of triple sec to make them blue instead of iggles green) shrimp cocktail, guacamole, roasted onion dip, that buffalo chicken dip that's been around lately (HUGE hit with the guys), assorted olives, pickles, crudite, etc.

At half time:

Mini crab cakes with remoulade, lobster rolls, chicken satay, and a pasta salad.

Lots of beer and wine of course! :rolleyes:

And the next day, I went to the stadium and got to rub the super bowl trophy and shake hands with Bill Belichick and Tedy Bruschi! :wub: (after which we came back and ate all of the leftovers.) Hurray Patriots!

• 11 months later...

For Super Bowl parties, we try to serve some things that represent the teams playing (i.e. - did BBQ for Carolina last time) so I have been racking my brain trying to come up with some Pittsburgh eats (we will have a pot of coffee on hand to represent Seattle - we are rooting for the Steelers :raz: ). Help, please! I have no menu at all yet (except that I am going to try to make some Buffalo Wing Wontons with this creamy buffalo dip I make) so any help is welcome!!

Thanks!

Is that Bonnie's Buffalo Chicken Dip you're referring to? That stuff is like crack.

For Pittsburgh, about some big fat sandwiches with French fries stuffed into them, like they make at Primanti's?

I love cooking with wine. Sometimes I even put it in the food.

Is that Bonnie's Buffalo Chicken Dip you're referring to? That stuff is like crack.

For Pittsburgh, about some big fat sandwiches with French fries stuffed into them, like they make at Primanti's?

Yep, that's the dip. It is amazing. I thought I would make it a little less soupy and try to fill wonton skins with it and fry them - kind of a take on crab rangoon.

I thought about those sandwiches - I've seen them on tv, I think. Would that just be like a pastrami & cheese on rye with ff's? Or hard rolls, or what? Thanks!

Could you elaborate on that dip? With a recipe if possible....I too will be rooting for Pittsburgh (they've been my team for years and years) and will be hosting a get together. Anything that is "like crack" ought to be a good addition! :hmmm:

Barbara Laidlaw aka "Jake"

Good friends help you move, real friends help you move bodies.

Don't forget the coleslaw (vinegar style) on your Primanti's-style sandwiches. You could also add a fried egg. They're just sandwiches on regular white bread, kind of thick slices. You could use whatever meat you'd like, but JUMBO (aka bologna) might be a good choice n'at. They have a web site - primantibros.com.

Is the buffalo dip the same kind I make, which sounds (and frankly, is) really foul but also like crack, as mentioned? I got the recipe from my friend, and it's cream cheese, blue cheese dressing, chopped celery (which I skip - who wants VEGETABLES in their artery clog?), Frank's Red Hot, and cubed cooked chicken? Because that. stuff. is. good.

You could try to involve lots of Heinz ketchup somehow (and if you go to their site, they have a "Red Zone Recipes" section which purports to contain the Steelers' favorite recipes - doubtful).

There's a thread in the PA forum about Pittsburgh food. You could also have pierogies.

Also, Clark bars, chipped ham (especially chipped ham barbeque), Klondikes, and Iron City (aka Iron Shitty) all come from the 'burgh. The Iron City brewery (at the bottom of the hill my boyfriend lives on) also brews Augustijner.

Me, I'll probably start the afternoon eating chicken wings at Gooski's in Polish Hill and then moving to a bar with bigger TVs to watch the game.

edited to add: PIXBURGH'S GOIN TO DA SUPERBOWL! :biggrin::biggrin::biggrin:

Edited by jeniac42 (log)

Jennie