• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Superbowl Food

jhlurie

I thought it was a great half time show. That is, if it was 1997.

As far as the food went, we had the standard fare: wings & junk food, but I also made Alton Brown's sliders. After watching his "Man Food" show during the week, I thought 'why not'. They were pretty easy too.

Just a little ground meat rolled out on a sheet pan, seasoned, and sliced into squares.

Everyone had them, and no one got sick, so I claim it as a success.

Kobe beef burger - frozen patties from Trader Joes. Actually from Wagyu cattle in Idaho, 1/2 pound patty with a 29.5% (!! :shock: !!) fat content. Defrosted, grilled; the fat was rendering off them like crazy. Served with pepper jack cheese, mesclun greens, and local IPA.

This may have been the best burger I've ever eaten. But then, I'd had a few beers by then, so my judgement may have been somewhat impaired. :smile: I've got another one in the fridge that I cooked and saved for later, so we'll see...

Everyone had them, and no one got sick, so I claim it as a success.

In my house it's always a success if no one gets sick. :biggrin:

I made black bean chili from the "Green's" cookbook. I cheated by

using already ground ingredients instead of roasting my own but

this chili was awesome- if I do say so myself. With this we had

rice and an avacado and tomato salad.

Btw, watched the whole half-time show and never noticed anything

"out of place". You guys have good eyes!

Melissa

Made the Boston Baked Beans with Pork from last week's NY Times. Very good recipe although I cooked it much longer and at a lower temperature than the posted recipe. I also like a bit of heat and added some chipotle chile powder. Didn't watch the game except for the cute commercial with the donkey, half-time show and the winning field goal.

P.S. Jon Lurie is correct about Janet Jackson's body jewelry. It looks like a silver Aztec-style sunburst that's clipped tightly around the nipple. There's a very tight shot in today's Chicago Sun Times. Are they allowed to show a bare nipple in a regular newspaper?

• 11 months later...

What, no tripe?

We will be doing:

*Full tenderloin, on the Weber rotisserie (for tenderbeef sandwiches)

*Toasted sourdough rolls

*Viognier-tarragon mustard

*Sun-dried tomato catsup

*Chipotle mayo (of course)

*Beef au jus, with garlic and jalapeno

That's the halftime sandwich course.

Oh, for starters . . . grilled oysters with sweet pepper salsa.

The shells are cleaned with a local Meyer lemon slice, hot oyster plopped back in the shell, backed with a slice of lemon, leaf of sage, and a spoonful of roasted garlic-anaheim-pasillo-red pepper-olive oil.

Challengers?

Our first SuperBowl Party was supposed to be 8 people. Turned into 40, and has been growing ever since! We have a 1921 farmhouse (small TV!)! Kids run laps outside, dogs run laps inside.

Mary Baker

Solid Communications

Find me on Facebook

Even though my beloved Packers failed miserably in the first round, it's likely that I'll still make bratwurst -- lots and lots of bratwurst. Of course, if my kitchen is being gutted then, I'll likely eat it at someone else's house!

Dean McCord

VarmintBites

Uh, who's playing? :blush:

We don't know that yet, Rachel. :biggrin: Playoffs have another week. :wink:

Well, this year for the first time in his life my football hungry DH will be celebrating his birthday on Superbowl Sunday. (Remember when Superbowl was a full month earlier?) So, yeah, this year we'll have a houseful. :cool::biggrin:

And we never know what the weather will be in Central TX -- I'll be checkin' the forecasts a week in advance before finalizing the menu.

I know there'll be beer! :laugh: Finger foods and lots of napkins.

But no matter the weather to start I'll be laying out plenty of chips with some of our own garden salsa from the summer, and a baked white cheese spinach queso. The green olives with jalapeno slices I packed last week will be just right about then. And I want some hot wings dosed in our Tabasco sauce with real bleu cheese dressing made fresh and little crisp celery sticks, just classic and I haven't done them in a long time.

If it's warm we'll be smoking a brisket, homemade flat rolls for sandwiches with grilled onions, pickles and sauce (sweet BBQ and vinegar hot) for half time.

If it's going to be winter after all I'm thinking that carnitas with tortillas/grilled onions/roasted chiles and a slew of tamales would be good for halftime.

Or hot Italian sausage bombers on those homemade rolls.

And have to have something sweet for the b/day boy so probably some decadent white and black brownies -- I'm sticking to the finger foods. :wink:

Judith Love

North of the 30th parallel

One woman very courteously approached me in a grocery store, saying, "Excuse me, but I must ask why you've brought your dog into the store." I told her that Grace is a service dog.... "Excuse me, but you told me that your dog is allowed in the store because she's a service dog. Is she Army or Navy?" Terry Thistlewaite

I had some friends over this past Saturday for a day of football and I don't see why the Super Bowl should be so different, as far as food is concerned. I like to do things that are easy to serve and can be eaten on the couch.

A lot of what we did was take-out, and as such is restaurant-specific, but I did add a few things of my own. The lineup was (and probably will be):

Babagannus

Acili Ezme

Cacik (homemade)

- served with flat breads

Chicken Schwarma

Chili with tortillas (from a restaurant, but broadly in the Texas Red style)

Suicidal Wings (from Planet Wings)

My own Picadillo Casserole (seasoned sliced potatoes on the bottom, covered with beef picadillo- Cuban style sloppy joes- and topped with sweet plantains)

Black Beans

The beers were Spaten Optimator and Smuttynose IPA.

I also had some dessert and coffee ready to go but we were all too full. The plan worked out very well- lots of grazing while the casserole was in the oven, and then that made its appearance during halftime. Easy and tasty...

aka Michael

Chi mangia bene, vive bene!

"...And bring us the finest food you've got, stuffed with the second finest."

"Excellent, sir. Lobster stuffed with tacos."

Queso beer dip from Epicurious with tortilla chips

Pigs in blankets with homemade honey mustard

A football shaped Usinger summer sausage

Smoked salmon cream cheese on Triscuits

Popcorn

Sierra Nevadas

I love cooking with wine. Sometimes I even put it in the food.

Well, I am only hosting a super bowl party if the Patriots make it. Otherwise, forget it! If they do get there, the crowd will be at my house, and I am definitely serving lobster rolls. And lots of beer! I am still thinking about other menu additions.

Ah, the joys of Superbowl Sunday. The superbowl presents an opportunity to lay out a spread even bigger than what would be seen on Thanksgiving, and all of it blissfully low-brow.

This year my menu will include:

Buffalo Wings (WTG Homicide Sauce will most likely have to do)

Atomic Buffalo Turds (bacon wrapped cream cheese stuffed smoked jalepeno peppers)

Big pot of bratwursts, onions, and pepper. Or maybe Italian Sausage, onions, and peppers, and bratwurst in kraut.

Some sort of cheesey sausagey dip thing

Random pickles, pickled things, beef sticks, salamis, cheeses, etc.

Some large piece of meat I will cook in the smoker.

He don't mix meat and dairy,

He don't eat humble pie,

So sing a miserere

And hang the bastard high!

- Richard Wilbur and John LaTouche from Candide

I'm making beef chili with chorizo and mole, creamy chicken chili with chiptoles, two kinds of cornbread - a sweet and a savory...

I may do tamales, since I get requests to make them more often than just Cinco de Mayo.

Lots of beer, I'm sure.

I want to do mulled wine SO bad, since I didn't have a chance to make it the whole holiday season, but it just doesn't seem to go well with chili. I am also jonesing to serve my hot cocoa with homemade marshmallows. Maybe later that evening.

I want to do a few starters to have out before the game and plan to do the chili during half time. There will be non-football people upstairs playing board games and football people downstairs watching the big tv.

How do I stop someone from bringing their "wings". He puts them in a crock pot, adds hot sauce and thats it. Nearly raw chicken wings floating in a watery Louisiana hot sauce. It the Salmonella Superbowl!

Since this is traditionaly a less refined event, maybe a good time to say "Dude, your wings suck, stop making em!"

How do I stop someone from bringing their "wings".  He puts them in a crock pot, adds hot sauce and thats it.  Nearly raw chicken wings floating in a watery Louisiana hot sauce.  It the Salmonella Superbowl!

Since this is traditionaly a less refined event, maybe a good time to say "Dude, your wings suck, stop making em!"

Maybe you should tell him you'll make the wings this year, and then do them right! But then, maybe he'll bring half raw meatballs floating in BBQ sauce.

i'm going to have my eating friend 'chelle over and TRY to explain american football to her so she can ask me questions and not annoy her husband.

lifetime new england fan. though i will come back to my native new york and do some beef on weck ( fredonia style not buffalo), bean salad, german potato salad and some beers.

though if my team is in the bowl i won't spend it in the jacuzzi... :raz:

Nothing is better than frying in lard.

Nothing.  Do not quote me on this.

Linda Ellerbee

Take Big Bites

If we get the All-Pennsylvania SuperBowl with the Eagles and the Steelers it'll have to be Cheesesteaks vs. Primanti's showdown. How I'll ship those Primanti's sandwiches here I still can't figure out.

I usually make chili though.

PA Governor "Fast Eddie" Rendell is having some issues with which team to root for. I think his loyalties lie with the City of Brotherly Love. He went to college here (U. Penn), was a District Attorney and Mayor of Phlly. And the man can belly up to a buffet with style. I've seen it with my own eyes. He's an elected official with a equal opportunity appetite. You have to love that, regardless of partisan leanings.

Katie M. Loeb
Booze Muse, Spiritual Advisor

Author: Shake, Stir, Pour:Fresh Homegrown Cocktails

Cheers!
Bartendrix,Intoxicologist, Beverage Consultant, Philadelphia, PA
Captain Liberty of the Good Varietals, Aphrodite of Alcohol

If we get the All-Pennsylvania SuperBowl with the Eagles and the Steelers it'll have to be Cheesesteaks vs. Primanti's showdown.  How I'll ship those Primanti's sandwiches here I still can't figure out.

I usually make chili though.

PA Governor "Fast Eddie" Rendell is having some issues with which team to root for.  I think his loyalties lie with the City of Brotherly Love.  He went to college here (U. Penn), was a District Attorney and Mayor of Philly.  And the man can belly up to a buffet with style.  I've seen it with my own eyes.  He's an elected official with a equal opportunity  appetite.  You have to love that, regardless of partisan leanings.

Hell Katie he does post-game commentary for comcast after the games,he,s been quoted as saying he would sit on the Eagles side and have his secretary of state(who is from Pittsburgh)sit on there side,"Fast Eddie indeed!!

Hey, he's got to keep his Western Pennsylvania supporters happy. Wouldn't want them wandering off the reservation and floating a Pittsburgher to challenge him in the 2006 primary, would we?

(Aside re: Gov. Rendell: The only Q&A interview the Penn Current ever ran in its entirety, conducted after a session of the Penn class he taught between serving as mayor and running for governor)

Back to the topic:

I'm warming up by stocking some of the usual suspects (chicken wings, salsa, tortilla chips, chicken nuggets) for serving during this Sunday's Eagles-Falcons NFC championship game. (Note to self: Razz the clerk in the SEPTA sales booth at Walnut-Locust station who has the temerity to post signs saying how Michael Vick is going to make mince meat of the Iggles)

For the big game, I will probably throw a watch-the-commercials party, for the game itself is usually a letdown (though the Eagles' presence in it this year should change that). So I'll rinse out the Crock-Pot and whip up a batch o' chili, make blue cheese dip for the wings, serve steamed shrimp with cocktail sauce and toss some Velveeta and salsa together for a quick-and-dirty nacho cheese dip. (The Super Bowl is not one of those occasions when I explore my adventurous side. Like the guests, I'd rather just plop down on the couch and let the spectreacle wash over me.)

I do have a large quantity of barbecue sauce to run through, though, so I may also serve cocktail smoked sausages or kielbasa or chorizo or something like that heated up in the stuff.

Sandy Smith, Exile on Oxford Circle, Philadelphia

"95% of success in life is showing up." --Woody Allen

My foodblogs: 1 | 2 | 3

• 2 weeks later...

I'm looking for some interesting New England-y items to put on the menu. My spouse and roommate are both natives of Massachusetts and lifelong Patriots fans, so we're having some friends over to see the game (Pats fans only!). I'll certainly make turkey chili and some kind of wings. I like the lobster roll idea but I'm too poor to execute it, and we had clam chowda last year. If I can't think of anything else we'll end up with Dunkin Donuts munchkins, so help me out here folks. :rolleyes:

I'm looking for some interesting New England-y items to put on the menu. My spouse and roommate are both natives of Massachusetts and lifelong Patriots fans, so we're having some friends over to see the game (Pats fans only!). I'll certainly make turkey chili and some kind of wings. I like the lobster roll idea but I'm too poor to execute it, and we had clam chowda last year. If I can't think of anything else we'll end up with Dunkin Donuts munchkins, so help me out here folks. :rolleyes:

Yankee pot roast would work well for the New England crowd

"Food is our common ground,a universal experience"

James Beard

I'm pretty much decided to make a big pan of frito pie, and one of those hollowed-out-loaf-of-bread pressed sandwiches, like you take to a picnic.Meats, cheeses, tapenade, good mustard&mayo. Stick it wrapped in foil on my comal with my big skillet to weight it down overnight.

May the best team win!

I'm pretty much decided to make a big pan of frito pie, and one of those hollowed-out-loaf-of-bread pressed sandwiches, like you take to a picnic.Meats, cheeses, tapenade, good mustard&mayo. Stick it wrapped in foil on my comal with my big skillet to weight it down overnight.

May the best team win!

For the NFC championship, we made cheesesteak strombolis, four different varieties, some with whiz, some with peppers, some with mushrooms, etc, made with half-frozen ribeyes cut paper thin with my freshly sharpened Global. We also made some some pan seared hot dogs from the local Polish butcher shop. For the big game, I'm thinking of making a rye bread stuffed with fried onion, sauerkraut, and kielbasi from the same shop, seasoned with caraway seeds, and maybe a chipotle macs-n-cheese caserole. We're not hosting this one, so it's got to be easily transportable food.

FLY EAGLES FLY!!!!

May the best team win!

For the NFC championship, we made cheesesteak strombolis, four different varieties, some with whiz, some with peppers, some with mushrooms, etc, made with half-frozen ribeyes cut paper thin with my freshly sharpened Global. We also made some some pan seared hot dogs from the local Polish butcher shop. For the big game, I'm thinking of making a rye bread stuffed with fried onion, sauerkraut, and kielbasi from the same shop, seasoned with caraway seeds, and maybe a chipotle macs-n-cheese caserole. We're not hosting this one, so it's got to be easily transportable food.

FLY EAGLES FLY!!!!

Welcome Tkrup!

So where's your local Polish butcher shop? And what do they have there? C'mon - you gotta 'fess up now. You can't start a sentence like that in this crowd and not finish it... :biggrin:

Katie M. Loeb
Booze Muse, Spiritual Advisor

Author: Shake, Stir, Pour:Fresh Homegrown Cocktails

Cheers!
Bartendrix,Intoxicologist, Beverage Consultant, Philadelphia, PA
Captain Liberty of the Good Varietals, Aphrodite of Alcohol