• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Superbowl Food

jhlurie

• 2 weeks later...

I didn't have enough notice to make a batch of the award winning Turkey, Black Bean & Chorizo chili. My friend whose parents host an annual Super Bowl shindig at their suburban manse didn't call me until last night. "I just thought you'd show up, Katie!" Such a guy. :rolleyes: My mother would roll over in her grave if I ever showed up anywhere uninvited!

Usually their spread involves a a cheese platter, a roast turkey, a roast beef, requisite sandwich fixins, big pot of chili (which I've assisted with on many occasions), and lots of desserts and coffee.

I might bring along a bottle of infused vodka or a nice bottle of wine so as not to show up empty handed. That's another one of those "mom rules" drilled into me when I was growing up.

Katie M. Loeb
Booze Muse, Spiritual Advisor

Author: Shake, Stir, Pour:Fresh Homegrown Cocktails

Cheers!
Bartendrix,Intoxicologist, Beverage Consultant, Philadelphia, PA
Captain Liberty of the Good Varietals, Aphrodite of Alcohol

Our spread will include: Chili & Cornbread, guacamole, hummus and veggies, cheddar ale spread (which I got from this BB, thank you), a chex style mix & some sort of yummy chocolate baked good for dessert, possibly brownies with vanilla ice cream.

Bloody mary's and beer round out the menu. Oh and grape jello, as dictated by the little darlings. I very well might make two pans, one kid friendly, one full of vodka.

This was all determined to be suitably masculine by the mixed nuts in my life.

What's wrong with peanut butter and mustard? What else is a guy supposed to do when we are out of jelly?

-Dad

Were doing a potluck type of party this year but I'm supplying the main part of the half-time meal. I'm making BBQ ribs and improvising some southern style beans.

I made the BBQ sauce tonight: onion, garlic, chipotle, pureed tomato, apple cider vinegar, dijon mustard, molasses and cayenne.

I prepped the ribs today. Put them in a brine/marinade to sit overnight. (shallots, garlic, apple cider vinegar, salt, sugar). I also smoked a couple of ham hocks today that I will use for my beans tomorrow. I will also be using some smoked bacon and chorizo for the beans.

Tomorrow I'll slow cook the ribs on the BBQ for about 2-3 hours at 225 F. The beans should take about 1 1/2 hours.

I've never done true southern BBQ before. I hope it all works out. My usual method for ribs is to steam them first :shock: and then finish on the grill with commercial sauce. I know...very wrong. :sad: Somebody taught me that method a long time ago but I promise to never do it again.

More sweet than spicy pork ribs and very hot wings along with more than a few homemade margaritas. Just easy fun stuff.

I too would like to thank jsolomon for the neat google trick.

A island in a lake, on a island in a lake, is where my house would be if I won the lottery.

Just got back from the grocery store, which was a friggin' mad house.

Here's the empty shelf report:

They were sold out of canned kidney and pinto beans, although there were still a few dozen cans of black beans.

The tortilla chip racks had been picked clean.

Potato chips were pretty sparse too, although they didn't seem to be as popular as tortilla chips.

There was a traffic snag on the salsa aisle, so I don't have a good report. (Frito Lay Bean Dip seemed not to be very popular, I'm happy to report. There was lots of it where the chips should have been.)

The sugary baked good supplies were almost depleted -- ding dongs, cinnamon buns, various Little Debbie products. This was a big surprise to me.

There remained plenty of high-end, imported, and/or microbrewed beer, but there were no chilled 12-packs of domestic stuff. If one were looking for that sort of thing, it would have to be purchased warm. Five- to ten-dollar bottles of wine, both colors, were very popular. (This is California, after all.)

Canned artichoke hearts were nowhere to be found. Frozen ones were still available. Canned artichoke bottoms remained on the shelves in impressive numbers.

Avocadoes were on sale for $.69 and the mound had been whittled down to a small pile.

The endcap of $8-Bacardi was largely untouched.

Didn't check the meat stocks.

Those huddled masses, they (or we) stick together.

amanda

Googlista

A ham steak and some spicy baked beans to eat while watching DVD of Pirates of the Carribean.

=Mark

Give a man a fish, he eats for a Day.

Teach a man to fish, he eats for Life.

Teach a man to sell fish, he eats Steak

I'm not a sports fan, but if I were, in view of where I live, I'd be a Phillies and Eagles fan. So I suppose I'd be serving an herbal dip made with rue and wormwood, humble and crow pies, sour grape tarts, and stuffed spleen, all washed down with small beer.

"A fool", he said, "would have swallowed it". Samuel Johnson

I'm not a sports fan, but if I were, in view of where I live, I'd be a Phillies and Eagles fan. So I suppose I'd be serving an herbal dip made with rue and wormwood, humble and crow pies, sour grape tarts, and stuffed spleen, all washed down with small beer.

I am a sports fan, AND an eagles fan. So I'm serving hemlock.

OK not really. We're having chicken and sausage gumbo, in honor of my wife's aunt Gertrude, still going strong at age 95 down there outside of Houston. The mrs, who doesn't cook, got the job of stirring the roux while I prepped everything else. Very convenient to have someone here to do that.

Of course, the fact that we had a lunch of a huge bowl of pho, spring rolls, and that red bean drink at like 3:00 doesn't help things.

Edited by mrbigjas (log)

I'm really embarassed to even ask this since I had legitimate plans to do better things (which have since fallen through), but....

Was it just me, or did Justin Timberlake rip off an important part of Janet Jackson's dress?

As for food, I'm having black bean soup and lots o' beer.

amanda

Googlista

Well, I am in the process of hosting a house full of NE Patriots fans, all of whom are experiencing indigestion from the way this game is going! Menu: we all ate earlier this evening, to get ready for the stress of this game! Striped bass with garlic-basil sauce, tuna with spicy shallot sauce, potato gratin, roasted asparagus, seared spinach with pine nuts, cornbread (as a nod to the panthirs). That was this afternoon. With the game: all the usual football food: nachos, buffalo wings, various chips and pretzels, pepperey popcorn, and of course, lots of beer! Go Patriots!

Is it too early to say Go Red Sox? :unsure:

Probably... :hmmm:

Well to me the superbowl is like lutefisk...after eating lutefisk in my family(dad and his sisters are very persistant) we would say: "Glad that's over for another year!".

The ribs were a hit...the wings too hot and we gave the blender a workout.

A island in a lake, on a island in a lake, is where my house would be if I won the lottery.

The game was great!! !

Guess I missed Justin's mis-move on Janet Jackson at 1/2 time. Busy refilling plates and talking. No one else mentioned it either. We were kind of disappointed in the 1/2 time show to start, so I guess we weren't paying close attention. Seems like it's usually much better.

This is one of the few events where I am not concerned with food preparation. Emphasis is pretty much on JUNK food and just hanging' out. A couple of sharp cheddar cheese logs and new (at least in these parts) vegetable wheat thins, some frozen pizza - Red Baron 1 extra cheese and 1 pepperoni (no pizza delivery around here), celery sticks and hummus, a bowl of peanut M & Ms, chocolate chip cookies, some beer, some milk and some soda.

Was tempted to crack open a bottle of champagne left over from holidays when Pats won, but I decided to restrain myself.

While the half time show was going on, I was making more sandwiches with Nigella's pork and =Mark's sauce. I could hear all of the absolute noise. There was general chagrin at the lousy show. I also heard some things that passed for lyrics that sounded questionable. So did some others. So I wonder if it was just the flashing thing.

I totally missed that. Had to make more sangria.

Linda LaRose aka "fifi"

"Having spent most of my life searching for truth in the excitement of science, I am now in search of the perfectly seared foie gras without any sweet glop." Linda LaRose

Although I served plenty of delicious munchies (including tanabutler's nuts, see thread below), it appears that most of my guests' favorite nibbles were....their fingernails...

Good try by the Cats, But we iz the PATS!!!

:smile::smile::smile:

Made panko fried calamari with a side of hot and spicy tomato dipping sauce, plus hot and spicy chicken wings. I had a bowl filled with lump crabmeat all prepared and ready to form into cakes. Never got to them, filled to the rim on calamari and chicken wings. Thought the game was great.

"Junk" food here, too.

My contributions: Costco's Italian meatballs in this nice barbecue sauce, ham rollups (ham slices with cream cheese and a green onion, rolled up then sliced) and Tanabutler's Spicy Roasted Herb Nuts which were a HUGE hit.

“Peter: Oh my god, Brian, there's a message in my Alphabits. It says, 'Oooooo.'

Brian: Peter, those are Cheerios.”

– From Fox TV’s “Family Guy”

Tim Oliver