• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Superbowl Food

jhlurie

Also, Clark bars, chipped ham (especially chipped ham barbeque), Klondikes, and Iron City (aka Iron Shitty) all come from the 'burgh.  The Iron City brewery (at the bottom of the hill my boyfriend lives on) also brews Augustijner.

Chipped ham barbecue- what a great idea! I have family from Coraopolis and when they used to visit they'd bring the chipped ham with them just to make those things. I'm sure those of us in the rest of the country can try to duplicate the experience by getting some good quality ham (no water added) and slicing it paper thin, heating it up in a skillet with your fave BBQ sauce and maybe onions, and serving it up on a hamburger bun. It goes great with beer, though the Augustiner that I may be drinking is more likely to come from Munich :wink:

aka Michael

Chi mangia bene, vive bene!

"...And bring us the finest food you've got, stuffed with the second finest."

"Excellent, sir. Lobster stuffed with tacos."

Was doing other research and ran across this listing for football party food at the Food Network site, replete with team logos...

http://www.foodnetwork.com/food/et_pa_football_party

...which includes regional favorites geared to both Seattle and Pittsburgh [uh...regional, in this case, means one of the recipes is for Philly cheese steaks] -- haven't had time to peruse yet, though.

Jamie M. Forbes

"Everything I know about life I learned in the kitchen."

Is that Bonnie's Buffalo Chicken Dip you're referring to? That stuff is like crack.

For Pittsburgh, about some big fat sandwiches with French fries stuffed into them, like they make at Primanti's?

Could you elaborate on that dip? With a recipe if possible....I too will be rooting for Pittsburgh (they've been my team for years and years) and will be hosting a get together. Anything that is "like crack" ought to be a good addition! :hmmm:

Jake, here's my take on that dip: Buffalo Chicken Dip. You can add additional hot sauce, if you like it very hot.

Well, thank you everyone. But Mr. Kim didn't get excited about many of the dishes that everyone here and at another website researched for me, so our menu will be:

Buffalo Chicken Dip Wontons

Chicken Nut Puffs

Seafood Bread Dip

Hot Dogs, Knockwurst & Brats w/ chili, sauerkraut & cheese

Spicy Shortbread Bites w/ Chutney

Quick Spiced Party Nuts

Pistachios

Crudités & Dips

Beef Stick & Cheese Tray

Goat Cheese w/ Honey

Crackers

Kettle Corn

Peanut Butter Cookies

Fruit Salsa & Cinnamon Chips

Brownies

I can't seem to finalize any menus lately without major change from the family (see this thread:Daughter's Birthday Thread). But at least I get to do some experimenting! Thank you all!!

Could you elaborate on that dip?  With a recipe if possible....I too will be rooting for Pittsburgh (they've been my team for years and years) and will be hosting a get together.  Anything that is "like crack" ought to be a good addition! :hmmm:

Jake~

Here is a link to the one of the many versions that are flying around cyberspace

Bonnie's Buffalo Chicken Dip Recipe

Sounds good to me.......it'll be on my table tomorrow!

GO STEELERS!

My spread:

Chili, made today with ground beef, chorizo, and pork ribs. We'll have it with beans, cheese, sour cream, bacon, and scallions.

Dr Pepper chicken, which is sort of like Coca-Cola chicken except that I'm essentially just reducing the Dr Pepper down with a little Tabasco pepper and citric acid; I like Coca-Cola chicken, but the soy sauce and so on that so many people add dilutes the flavor too much.

Lemonade iced tea Jello.

Dr Pepper cupcakes with chocolate frosting (it's just Coca-Cola cake with Dr Pepper instead).

Bacon ice cream.

Extra-large Virginia peanuts for munching on.

Probably a fair bit of beer and yelling (the Missus is from WA).

OK.  So who out there is going the tradional route and eating wings, chips, hoagies, etc.?  And if not (assuming you are watching the game) what are you eating?

For big sport tv events I like to make "giant spicy wings" by using turkey instead of chicken. The bigger turkey wings are always way cheap and make you feel much smaller.

Peter Gamble aka "Peter the eater"

I just made a cornish game hen with chestnut stuffing. . .

Would you believe a pigeon stuffed with spam? . . .

Would you believe a rat filled with cough drops?

Moe Sizlack

By the way, I just finished trying out the Buffalo Dip Wontons and they turned out great!  Here's the directions:Buffalo Dip Wontons

What a great idea, Kim. They sound fantastic !

Checking in post party - they were the single most popular thing that I served. 8 people ate 60 of them!!

• 2 weeks later...
By the way, I just finished trying out the Buffalo Dip Wontons and they turned out great!  Here's the directions:Buffalo Dip Wontons

What a great idea, Kim. They sound fantastic !

Checking in post party - they were the single most popular thing that I served. 8 people ate 60 of them!!

Wow! I have printed your recipe for the wontons and can't wait to make them. We were in South America during the Super Bowl and taped it. I know who wins, but I really love the commercials.

This Sunday is our SB Sunday - featuring your wontons! Thanks!

Patti Davis

www.anatomyofadinnerparty.com

• 3 years later...

Me, here in North Carolina, it's all about red beans and rice, cornbread, biscuits, killer local greens and roots to go with them, turnip casserole, acorn squash, roasted pork parts (and it's really parts-mixed bag from a new processor friend) and whatever else the other folks show up with. Turbodog, Amber, NOLA Rum, Sazeracs, whatever. Oh, and I'm making Jack Leonardi's chicken liver thing from Oak St. Delish.

And for all of you Minnesotans (you know who you are-I know you ain't at the Cabin), I'm sorry, but we have no time to hear any entertaining tales of lutefisk and such. Good food only.

Who d'at!

Brooks Hamaker, aka "Mayhaw Man"

There's a train everyday, leaving either way...

I was going to start a topic like this, but you've beat me to it....

What to cook for a superbowl like no other. If you don't live in Louisiana, you may not have a grip on the hysteria that's been going on the last weeks, and will be ape-s..t nuts by the Superbowl. They say it's snowing in hell.

Now, I have to really, really get a grip on the cooking. It could be pouring rain, freezing, or hot as the above mentioned hell.

so, I've decided (maybe) on just finger foods, and a gumbo in reserve. The crawfish are still too small, and the fricking backyard looks like we have horses instead of just the old hunting labs. I can do the base for the gumbo, and reserve the shrimp and crab etc. for last minute. I'm putting black olives on top of deviled eggs, that I need to figure out how to make more gold than yellow. I have some Dufour's puff in the freezer that I'll do 'something' with...and a ton of their small pastry cups. The small pastries will probably end up being quiche, with panchetta and? suggestions welcome. The puff will be rolled out and sprinkled with sauted' trinity, venison sausage, maybe some cheese. I really want to do some sort of new take on manchego and quince, but can't figure out how to get that into a pastry. Maybe precook a tart shell, put shredded manchego in it, melt a minute and then dart with quince paste? I don't know, but we have a little time to figure it out.

The Saint's are in the Super Bowl, and all is right tonight in Loouisian..

WHOSE DAT???

Errr... Alabama going undefeated, beating Florida for the conference championship, having Ingram pick up the Heisman and capping it all off with the national championship has already happened! Oh, you're talking about that other sporting event... :raz::biggrin:

I'm not sure yet. Formal meals, fancy plated dishes, things requiring a lot of last minute work... all banned from sporting events. I'd rather eat a bag of doritos and drink a pepsi than miss half the game cooking. I go with stuff I can pile on or in plates/platters/bowls, toss on the table (or in warmers) and say "have at it when you want it". I'd like to think I'm going to cook something but the truth is I could just as easily end up with pizza and beer.

It's kinda like wrestling a gorilla... you don't stop when you're tired, you stop when the gorilla is tired.

Last week, I made non-football food (beef-vegetable stew). It worked so well I decided to go non-traditional again this week: pork sausages on a bed of french green lentils, pan-roasted turnips, and baked sweet potatoes. I think I'm gonna regress for the "big game" and cook a ridiculous number of chicken wings. And a gumbo. And probably some king cake, too.

Heard on WWL this morning that someone had the great idea to have a full-blown Jazz Funeral procession to the St. Louis Cemetary to bury the brown paper bag! What a hoot! :laugh: I hope they do it.

I haven't settled on anything yet, and with no less than 2 close family members telling me over the Christmas holidays that they really don't care for gumbo :blink: I'm having a hard time coming up with something. Gumbo is my preference, but I'm trying to think of something else just as good.

Making roast beef and gravy with everyone making their own po-boy was something I thought about, but that doesn't sound right. Barbecued shrimp would be good, but I love my sofa too much to let all of that butter ruin it. I don't mind people eating anywhere in the house, but I can't get the picture of people eating the barbecued shrimp with butter dripping all down their arms. :shock:

I'm hoping to get inspiration between now and then.

Rhonda

Ok - so....

I've got 60% of the food planned out for the superbowl (4 friends, 6 people total). I'm making Ropa Vieja (braised/shredded beef with spices/veggies) from Mark Bittman's Best Recipes in the World - with sides, probably guac, cheese, sour cream and corn tortillas. (If it's not traditional with those sides, at least it's delicious) My girlfriend has a mean cheese/hot pepper/alcohol mix that is perfect for chips. There will be 1-3 other dishes, and one gluten intolerant guest.... what dessert do you make? Bonus points for 80-90% prepared in advance/no gluten, or simple ideas. Fruit over ice cream is my favorite right now, something more elaborate would be awesome - I like to cook, and will be doing 90% of the ropa vieja the night before, so advance prep is preferred...

Also, wouldn't mind hearing any and every Super bowl snack food - I live for this stuff!

Edited by theisenm85 (log)

A gluten-intolerant friend of mine makes desserts such as meringues (you could add fruit there, such as pavlovas..) and macaroons.....a chocolate fondue would be great also -- fun with a group and you could have a mix of poundcake and fruits to dip....

Just curious to see if anyone made anything for this sundays superbowl parties that is interesting. I made a special cheese log i learned while i lived in oklahoma. I think I want to try and make a bunch of bite sized creme brule but im worried about them sitting to long and the sugar crust going bad.