• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Amazing new dessert idea - Moscato Floats!

KatieLoeb

Had a lovely decadent multi-course dinner this evening at a local BYO bistro that's very popular. It was a birthday party for a fellow wine professional and the wines and dinner courses had been well thought out. For dessert we were served Moscato Floats! A small scoop of vanilla ice cream floating in a glass of Moscato. It was absolutely delicious and made me smack the heel of my hand to my forehead and say "Duh!!". Great combination of floral lightly effervescent wine and the taste of vanilla. Absolutely perfect and such a no brainer.

I realize this sounds very odd, but trust me. Try this and you'll be floored by how tasty it is.

Katie M. Loeb
Booze Muse, Spiritual Advisor

Author: Shake, Stir, Pour:Fresh Homegrown Cocktails

Cheers!
Bartendrix,Intoxicologist, Beverage Consultant, Philadelphia, PA
Captain Liberty of the Good Varietals, Aphrodite of Alcohol

Sounds perfectly wonderful and very easy. I'm going to serve this New Year's Eve.

Please let me know how you like it!

It occurs to me on further consideration that there's lots of fabulous combinations to be made with interesting sorbet or gelato - particularly similar floral flavors. There's a gelateria here in Philadelphia that had Honeysuckle gelato over the summertime. I can't imagine anything that might be more delicious or echo those lovely scents and flavors in the Moscato d'Asti than that.

Katie M. Loeb

Cheers!

It occurs to me on further consideration that there's lots of fabulous combinations to be made with interesting sorbet or gelato - particularly similar floral flavors. 

I've be making floats with tangerine (sometimes raspberry) sorbet and cava for a while, with great audience response. I think there was a NYT food section article on this a couple of years ago with some more unusual combinations.

Andrew

Andrew Riggsby

ariggsby@mail.utexas.edu

This sounds a hell of lot more elegant than my dad pouring Concord Grape over his vanilla ice cream. :laugh:

I want to try it with sorbet. It sounds like a great way to end a meal.

"Some people see a sheet of seaweed and want to be wrapped in it. I want to see it around a piece of fish."-- William Grimes

"People are bastard-coated bastards, with bastard filling." - Dr. Cox on Scrubs

This sounds a hell of lot more elegant than my dad pouring Concord Grape over his vanilla ice cream. :laugh: 

I want to try it with sorbet.  It sounds like a great way to end a meal.

I knew that Concord Grape stuff had to be good for something...:laugh:

Whole Foods carries those interesting Out of a Flower ice creams and sorbets with really interesting floral and herbal flavors. Those would probably be delicious either with Moscato or with plain sparkling wine, depending on the flavors chosen.

Katie M. Loeb

Cheers!