• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Special Birthday Dinner -- On a Sunday?

bookluvingbabe

So....

I'm planning ahead. Mr. BLB wants to know where I want to go for my birthday in January. This year my birthday falls on a Sunday. We're flying back into town on Saturday night so no celebrating the day before.

Somewhere in the back of my mind I seem to recall hearing that Sunday's aren't the best days to go out for fine dining --the Chef is often not in the kitchen. Is that true? Was it ever true? :unsure:

My first instinct is to go to Citronelle. Hubby has never been and I had an amazing dinner with 2 girlfriends as a last celebration before the wedding; we were re-creating a dinner we had at Citrus 8 years ago--totally lived up to our memories as one of our top 5 dining experiences.

I know we could go to Corduroy or Firefly or Ray's and have a totally amazing meal. Or wait a few days and go to Palena. BUT...we go to all of these on a regular basis. I love them but they don't necessarily feel like special occasion places to me anymore.

Ideas? Suggestions? The only real limitation is being open on a Sunday and being either Metro-able or an easy taxi ride. No Inn at Little Washington please.

Thanks!

Jennifer

It is true most chefs dont work on sundays. I do agree Citronelle will be great but again Michel Richard is not in there on sunday. But that really doesnt make much sense , Im sure they do everything as usual. Equinox is another place that will be open on sunday , I dont know how you feel about this place , but I think its pretty good.

Corduroy

General Manager

1122 Ninth Street, NW

Washington DC 20001

www.corduroydc.com

202 589 0699

this is a pretty sweet dilemma.

i've also heard good things about maestro.

I wanna say something. I'm gonna put it out there; if you like it, you can take it, if you don't, send it right back. I want to be on you.

Call and see if Koji Terano is working at Sushi-Ko, and try to nab the two seats in front of him (he generally works Sunday evenings). Trust me, it will be one of the few truly great meals served in DC that evening, based on my visit there last Sunday. Order the "chef's choice sashimi," followed by two small plates of his choice (to split), followed by the "chef's choice sushi." And! You'll escape for under $125 if you don't go crazy on wine (pssst bring your own and pay a $15 corkage fee).

Sommelier Kathy Morgan works many Sundays at Tosca - I've had very good food even when Cesare isn't there - she knows the menu and can recommend good, budget-priced wines to have with their outstanding pasta dishes (available in half-sizes for less than $10 each). There's a 1999 Salice Salentino on the wine list for about $30 that is quite good - she'll know the one I'm talking about.

I just returned from Colvin Run Tavern (preceded by a lamb vindaloo in Germantown), and had a fine Lucien Crochet Sancerre and a trio of sorbets. Though I didn't have any savory courses this evening, I did do a walkaround, and could see that the food looked pretty much spot-on tonight despite the kitchen closing at 9:30. It's a really nice room, and sommelier Michael Flynn has plenty of good wines on his list in the sub-$50 range, some even being in the $20s - there's even a perfectly decent Vin de Pays for $19. Why doesn't this restaurant get more attention here?

Cheers,

Rocks.

I asked the same Sunday dinner question in Tom S.'s chat a few weeks ago. His answer was that he had a very memorable Sunday meal at The Little Fountain Cafe. (one of the places he likes to plug a lot).

Sadly I was never able to take his recommendation because I contracted the dreaded mono, but someday...

I just returned from Colvin Run Tavern...  Why doesn't this restaurant get more attention here?

I think its location hurts Colvin Run.

I've had nothing but good lunches there and I picked it for my company's Christmas dinner this Sunday (we have several employees who are averse/afraid of crossing the Potomac more than once or twice a year).

I'll report back on how the cooking is on a Sunday night.

Bill Russell

Colvin Run is where I had my last Birthday Dinner and where I would hope to have my next

Oh, J[esus]. You may be omnipotent, but you are SO naive!

- From the South Park Mexican Starring Frog from South Sri Lanka episode

I just returned from Colvin Run Tavern...  Why doesn't this restaurant get more attention here?

I think its location hurts Colvin Run.

I've had nothing but good lunches there and I picked it for my company's Christmas dinner this Sunday (we have several employees who are averse/afraid of crossing the Potomac more than once or twice a year).

I'll report back on how the cooking is on a Sunday night.

We're all grumpy about Gucci, Tiffany's, Hermes and Elizabeth Arden Red Door being right next door...

and that pretentious cobblestone driveway. Bah!

Hi there - Going to Colvin Run today for an office lunch. The rule for today's lunch is that we have to order wine and four courses - I think I can comply! Are there any menu recs from anybody's recent visits? The trio of sorbets sounds like a good pointer.

Funny timing...My birthday is also on a Sunday in January. After much hemming and hawing, I decided on Oceanaire. I thought about the Sunday staffing issue, but figured this wouldn't be a big deal if I am looking for simple lobster, great crabcakes, etc. A steakhouse would work here, as well, and I like the sushi idea. Some cuisines seems less personality-driven, and more procedure-driven, if you will. Also, off-topic, I find a place like Oceanaire just more festive for a birthday than a subdued dining room like MRC, Tosca, and other places I considered.

Save Pale Male <--- GO HERE!

Here's another idea: Mendocino Grille. On Sunday's they feature a half-priced wine list which has some nice selections, e.g. a Turley Rattlesnake Ridge Zin.

Oh, J[esus]. You may be omnipotent, but you are SO naive!

- From the South Park Mexican Starring Frog from South Sri Lanka episode