• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Prime rib roast

john b

Christmas dinner this year is going to be a prime rib roast, for ten adults and 4-5 kids. Is there a standard formula for ordering prime rib?

I'm guessing one lb. per adult portion and 1/2 lb. per kid. Does that sound about right?

Thanks.

John

"I can't believe a roasted dead animal could look so appealing."--my 10 year old upon seeing Peking Duck for the first time.

Assuming that you will lose a nominal amount of weight due to fats/juices cookingoff, that allots for a generous portion per guest. Given that it is the Holidays and all, I personally think that that formula sounds good. There might be some leftovers, but better to have too much than not enough.

He don't mix meat and dairy,

He don't eat humble pie,

So sing a miserere

And hang the bastard high!

- Richard Wilbur and John LaTouche from Candide

Is the roast bone-in or boneless? A pound of actual meat is more than generous for the average adult. But as NulloModo suggests, aiming for leftovers is not a bad idea. :smile: Don't forget to allow time for the roast to "rest". And be prepared to fend off the "pickers" with a carving knife. :laugh:

Is the roast bone-in or boneless? A pound of actual meat is more than generous for the average adult. But as NulloModo suggests, aiming for leftovers is not a bad idea.  :smile:  Don't forget to allow time for the roast to "rest". And be prepared to fend off the "pickers" with a carving knife. :laugh:

It'll be bone-in, and I'm counting on leftovers.

John

"I can't believe a roasted dead animal could look so appealing."--my 10 year old upon seeing Peking Duck for the first time.

john b,

All weights listed are pre-cooked weights

Serving 10-12 Adults requires a 14lb, (7 bone-in roast) Standing Rib Roast

Serving 10-12 Adults requires a 14lb, (7 bone, removed and tied) Standing Rib Roast

Serving 10-12 Adults requires a 11lb, (Boneless) Standing Rib Roast.

If your really serving Prime Standing Rib Roast, consider yourself very lucky just to find it. About 2% of all USDA graded beef qualifies for Prime grading.

woodburner

Depends on what else you have for sides, or starters

Bone waste is maybe 20%, depending how well your rib is trimmed

Think of it as a hamburger patty - 8oz serving is generous, A whole meal (unless your a competitive eater) is usually not more than 1 1/2 lbs of food.

Serving 10-12 Adults requires a 11lb,  (Boneless) Standing Rib Roast.

Not to query your figures too closely, but that seems to me to be rather excessive. I agree with jackal10 on this issue; 8oz of boned meat (assuming you mean not to cook the meat past well-done to carnbonised) is ample.

Leftovers are another question of course, but to state that 11lb is "required" is, perhaps, a little absolute.

Allan Brown

"If you're a chef on a salary, there's usually a very good reason. Never, ever, work out your hourly rate."

Woodburner -

To my understanding 'Prime' when used to describe 'Prime Rib' does not generally mean Prime-graded meat, it is just a name of a cut, the Prime Rib. The vast majority of restaurants and grocery stores selling 'Prime Rib' are not selling 'prime' meat. Whether or not this is actually the correct way things should be named is another matter, but just seems to be the way it is.

He don't eat humble pie,

So sing a miserere

Woodburner -

To my understanding 'Prime' when used to describe 'Prime Rib' does not generally mean Prime-graded meat, it is just a name of a cut, the Prime Rib.  The vast majority of restaurants and grocery stores selling 'Prime Rib' are not selling 'prime' meat.  Whether or not this is actually the correct way things should be named is another matter, but just seems to be the way it is.

I think the name might be a nod to the butchering terminology, whereby carcasses are broken down into 'primal' sections which are then cut down further into the usually traded cuts.

Perhaps it's a legal grey area that needs tightening up; I suspect the majority of people buying prime rib think that they're buying USDA Prime meat.

Allan Brown

"If you're a chef on a salary, there's usually a very good reason. Never, ever, work out your hourly rate."

Woodburner -

To my understanding 'Prime' when used to describe 'Prime Rib' does not generally mean Prime-graded meat, it is just a name of a cut, the Prime Rib.  The vast majority of restaurants and grocery stores selling 'Prime Rib' are not selling 'prime' meat.  Whether or not this is actually the correct way things should be named is another matter, but just seems to be the way it is.

Prime, is a USDA grade.

Choice grade is what is normally available in supermarkets, you will occasionally see standing rib roasts advertised as "Great for Prime Rib". This is misleading.

People get confused easily regarding this matter, and you can see why.

woodburner

Serving 10-12 Adults requires a 11lb,  (Boneless) Standing Rib Roast.

Not to query your figures too closely, but that seems to me to be rather excessive. I agree with jackal10 on this issue; 8oz of boned meat (assuming you mean not to cook the meat past well-done to carnbonised) is ample.

Leftovers are another question of course, but to state that 11lb is "required" is, perhaps, a little absolute.

Maybe a bit to absolute as you suggest, my bad.

Once again, it may hinge upon which grade is purchased, as to how much is edible regarding the serving size.

In any event I hope john b is cooking enough for me also. :laugh:

woodburner

Woodburner -

I think the name might be a nod to the butchering terminology, whereby carcasses are broken down into 'primal' sections which are then cut down further into the usually traded cuts.

Perhaps it's a legal grey area that needs tightening up; I suspect the majority of people buying prime rib think that they're buying USDA Prime meat.

Allan "culinary bear" Brown nailed it! There's a big distinction between "Prime-as-in-Rib" and USDA Prime Grade beef. Most "Prime Rib" roasts are USDA Choice grade, and given the thick fat cap on the roast, the Choice grade beef usually does just fine - as long as it isn't overcooked.

I'm impressed that someone from the UK noticed the distinction, when many many of us in the US are still baffled. :laugh:

Allan "culinary bear" Brown nailed it! There's a big distinction between "Prime-as-in-Rib" and USDA Prime Grade beef. Most "Prime Rib" roasts are USDA Choice grade, and given the thick fat cap on the roast, the Choice grade beef usually does just fine - as long as it isn't overcooked.

I'm impressed that someone from the UK noticed the distinction, when many many of us in the US are still baffled.  :laugh:

Hey, at least you have a system over there... We have a coding system to classify carcases over here, but it's not in the public domain. The great majority of UK supermarket (i.e. not-from-a-butcher's-shop) beef is sold hopelessly underaged, boned, and in horrible sealed styrofoam trays with its own pantyliner to soak up the blood. A sad state of affairs.

Sadly, it's down to the consumers. The majority want very lean (i.e. non-marbled) meat, bright red (i.e. unaged), and they want it cheap.

I bought a wonderful 5-bone fore-rib (what you'd call prime rib) from a very reliable butcher in Edinburgh a couple of years back. It had been hung for 34 days, the butcher could tell me which field in which farm it had come from, the marbling was beautiful, and the meat was purplish-black. The butcher had to shave some blackening from the bone ends and had to trim a slightly furry section, and supplied me with some very nice backfat with which to bard the joint. Very well-seasoned, I roasted it and served it rare - I could have carved it with a spoon.

Allan Brown

...I bought a wonderful 5-bone fore-rib (what you'd call prime rib) from a very reliable butcher in Edinburgh a couple of years back.  It had been hung for 34 days, the butcher could tell me which field in which farm it had come from, the marbling was beautiful, and the meat was purplish-black.  The butcher had to shave some blackening from the bone ends and had to trim a slightly furry section, and supplied me with some very nice backfat with which to bard the joint.  Very well-seasoned, I roasted it and served it rare - I could have carved it with a spoon.

Allan, if you have a butcher who can supply you with dry-aged beef, you're way ahead of most of us here in the US. Even restaurant suppliers typically ship beef in sad, soggy cryovac'ed packages. The styrofoam-with-diapers packaging is typical in supermarkets here. Treasure and encourage your butcher!

Allan, if you have a butcher who can supply you with dry-aged beef, you're way ahead of most of us here in the US. Even restaurant suppliers typically ship beef in sad, soggy  cryovac'ed packages. The styrofoam-with-diapers packaging is typical in supermarkets here. Treasure and encourage your butcher!

I try to, as often as I get back North of the border. Sadly, as more and more people get their meat from supermarkets, traditional independent butchers are going to the wall. The situation is as bad for independent fishmongers, greengrocers and bakers.

Like most things, if you're interested enough and can strike up a rapport with your supplier, you'll get access to all the good stuff.

Allan Brown

Woodburner -

I'm impressed that someone from the UK noticed the distinction, when many many of us in the US are still baffled. :laugh:

I agree with the giving a big thumbs up for the choice graded rib roast.

It works great, as that is the cut and grade the majority of us here in the US have access to.

So John b, care to share your cooking method with us? When I do a rib roast it's always fresh popovers to go along, with twice baked taters, cheesy and rich with cream.

woodburner

Woodburner -

I agree with the giving a big thumbs up for the choice graded rib roast.

It works great, as that is the cut and grade the majority of us here in the US have access to.

So John b, care to share your cooking method with us? When I do a rib roast it's always fresh popovers to go along, with twice baked taters, cheesy and rich with cream.

woodburner

I'm leaving the cooking to my mother this year. My contribution will be some sort of horseradish and/or blue cheese sauce for the beef and something for dessert. The twice baked potatoes are a must, IMO, with a rib roast.

John

Re the Prime Rib vs Prime grade issue (I'll avoid re-quoting the whole thing here, just look above) - in Canada there's a further complication. There is a Prime grade, similar to the US.

But when describing the roast, the 'prime' ribs are the 5 ribs at the smaller end of the rib primal section. These are usually a little better marbled and more tender. The remaining bigger ribs are described as 'standing' ribs, and retail at a slightly lower price. Canadian supermarkets and butchers follow this nonclemanture (it's a gov't requirement, see the bottom of this page http://www.inspection.gc.ca/english/fssa/l...a/chatabe.shtml ) , but restaurants usually sell the whole thing in slices as 'prime rib'.

I don't know if this is the same in the US or not.

Agreed that it would be fine to use US Choice grade (=Canada AAA). If you cook it right there is very little difference between Prime and Choice in a rib roast. If you don't have access to dry-aged, Alton Brown's 'quick dry age in your home fridge' method works surprisingly well. Method here: http://www.foodnetwork.com/food/recipes/re...6_17372,00.html

Hong Kong Dave

O que nao mata engorda.

For Christmas I had planned on serving a prime rib, which I already ordered from a local buther, but now I have some relatives coming over that really don't like rare meat ("well done only, please"). How should I handle this?

How should I overcook their meat while at the same time not ruin a very expensive cut of meat for everyone else?

Should I just make something else and cancel the beef?

I haven't had prime rib in over 25 years, since I've been living in the UK in fact, but I used to adore it, like just about everyone else in the world (OK, OK, maybe there are vegetarians who aren't quite so enamoured, I'll concede). So this discussion has been mouthwatering.

Now that the prime/choice matter has been clarified, I'm still left wondering exactly what cut I'd ask from from my excellent local butcher, who still has its own abbatoir (one of the few remaining small family run abbatoirs) and hangs beef for no less than 21 days. Indeed the beef we are lucky to be able to get, from traditional Devon breeds, is really top class so I'm sure that prime rib could be sensational.

My guess, and Alan and Jack will no doubt confirm, is that I'd want to ask for a 3-5 bone fore rib. Is that right? But prime rib is not just the cut, nor the grade: it's also the way it's served, for it is most definitely not just roast rib of beef (which we always carve in thin slices to accompany all the traditional gubbins, Yorkshire pudding etc etc).

Prime rib, by contrast, is always served in a single, thickish slice (would it be the whole slice including bone for a bone-in roast?), most usually with a sauce or jus, isn't it?

I'd certainly appreciate any instructions on how to procure, prepare and serve it here in England for someone for whom prime rib is but a distant (but fond) memory.

Marc

For Christmas I had planned on serving a prime rib, which I already ordered from a local buther, but now I have some relatives coming over that really don't like rare meat ("well done only, please"). How should I handle this?

How should I overcook their meat while at the same time not ruin a very expensive cut of meat for everyone else?

Depending on how large your roast is, if it is more than 4 bones, have it cut into 2 sections, one smaller, one larger.

Assuming that the ones who don't like rare are fewer than those that do, start that roast 12 minutes earlier than the other, then place the second piece in the pan.

In any event, the end parts of the roast will always be well done while the center is rare.

When I do a large prime rib in one piece, after roasting and being allowed to stand for 30 minutes after removing from the oven (to allow the juices to migrate back into the center of the meat)

I cut the roast in half and stand one half with the center side up and the other with the outside end up and slice horizontally. This way I can easily slice a rare or a well done piece.

However before I begin slicing I take a boning knife, insert it straight down next to the bone and cut the bone away from the meat part way down.

I leave it for presentation but it can be removed completely if you prefer.

This tactic just makes slicing much easier.

"There are, it has been said, two types of people in the world. There are those who say: this glass is half full. And then there are those who say: this glass is half empty. The world belongs, however, to those who can look at the glass and say: What's up with this glass? Excuse me? Excuse me? This is my glass? I don't think so. My glass was full! And it was a bigger glass!" Terry Pratchett

I've found the best solution is to cook the roast rare, as it should be done, and then if anyone complains when served, just toss their portion (on their plate) under the broiler till it is the shoe-leather they love.

He don't eat humble pie,

So sing a miserere

Marco:

Get you to a Tesco with a butchery and get their ribs on the bone in as large a piece as they will sell you. They will hold it for a week of two for you if asked. Its also very well trimmed, with little bone waste. Cook it in a 65C oven to 58C exactly - about 7 hours. You will be amazed!

Don't know how much meat you need but can you either buy a larger ( 7-rib) roast, have a few ribs cut off and put them into the pan earlier than the rest, or alternatively buy a second small roast.

That way the folks who like cremated meat can have it and your other guests will enjoy the meat the way it should be eaten.