• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

New Year's Eve Dinner 2001

Fat Guy

We have a few parties on our dance card, but we'll also have dinner at home, as is our tradition.

The full menu hasn't taken shape yet (will know more after I see what's available today at the UWS markets), but we'll probably roast a chicken with some slices of black truffle under the skin.

Our Bubbly will be '88 Salon and we'll have some Langres and some fall and winter Parmigianio Reggiano from Di Palo's.

We'll also be dropping in on my brother and his wife, who are making their first Turducken. :laugh:

New Year's Eve is for tourists (actually, it's for people who don't have lots of children).

New Year's Day:

Southern staples, as Holly mentioned:

Hoppin' John (black eyed peas, rice, scallions, tomatoes, sharp cheddar)

Collard greens

Corn bread (to soak up the pot likker)

Roast pork with a bourbon sauce

Pecan pie

Moonshine

OK, we're out of moonshine this year, but I've had it in the past!

Dean McCord

VarmintBites

When I moved to PA with my daughter's family last year, I was surprised to find that she does nothing special for either NYE or NYDay. So this year, to please myself, I opted for a NYDay dinner instead of doing Christmas, which has too many traditions for me to be experimental. (We're not talking venturesome palates here.)

If I enlist the kids' help with serving, they'll probably try everything except the brussels sprouts. I would usually include a salad, but with all the other vegs in the appetizer I'm including the souffles which I've been promising my daughter for a long time.

Here's my menu:

Antipasto

(Diced Italian Meats and Cheeses mixed with Asparagus, Baby Corn, Anchovies, Pepperoncinis, V & O and Black-eyed Peas substituting for Chick Peas for New Year’s Day)

Butternut Squash Soup

With Roasted Tomatoes and Thyme

Little Soufflés Gratinee

Marinated Roast Loin of Pork with Shallots and Wine Sauce

Apple-Pecan Spoonbread

Brussels Sprouts with Browned Butter and Lime

Baby Green Beans (the default veg)

Rolls

Maple Syrup Pie with Whipped Cream

Best wishes for a scrumptious New Year!

Ruth Dondanville aka "ruthcooks"

“Are you making a statement, or are you making dinner?” Mario Batali

oh yeah baby...I love New Years :smile:

Ive got it planned aready...my brother and his GF are coming here and here is whats in store:

Veuve Cliquot La Grande Dame

Tattinger Brut

Fresh Lobster with Horseradish Cream and Chives in mini Puff Pastries

Chilled Cucumber Soup with Crab

Lobster Newburg

Valhrona Chocolate Souffles

I'm going to Nightscotsman's cocktail party (see PNW) and will be bringing gougères split and made into sandwiches with arugula, Nueske's bacon, and homemade pickled onions. I'll eat some of those along with whatever other people bring.

Matthew Amster-Burton, aka "mamster"

Author, Hungry Monkey, coming in May

Cosmopolitans (Dale De Groff recipe from this site of course)

Smoked Salmon Croque Monsieur (Eric Ripert recipe from A Return to Cooking) served with champagne

Tom Colicchio's braised pork belly served with Ripert inspired lentils with chorizo, shitake mushrooms and shallot

Spiced Red Wine Poached Pears with Cranberry Ice Cream

(Extra cold Guinness to sip whilst cooking)

NEW YEAR’S EVE 2002 DINNER MENU

Elegante Dry Fino Sherry

-----------------------------------------------

Salad of Roast Quail with Pistachio Stuffing

Domaine Catherine Goeuil 2001

Cote Du Rhone

France

-----------------------------------------------

Deep Fried Crab Cake with Spinach and Chive Butter Sauce

Boschendal Sauvignon Blanc/Semillion 2000

South Africa

--------------------------------------------------

Saddle of Lamb with Rosemary Jus and Roast New Potatoes

Wrattonbully Smith and Hooper 2000

Cabernet/Merlot

Australia

--------------------------------------------------------

Chocolate and Orange Torte

Blandy’s Duke of Clarence Rich Madeira

----------------------------------------------------

Coffee/Tea with Homemade Petit Fours

-------------------------------

Champagne at Midnight

-----------

£50.00 per Person

Great Menu B'dog. In fact, they all sound great

I shall let someone else cook. I intend to have a few pints at The Wenlock, a mixed grill at the Angel Mangal ( as it is new year I shall go for all the extras, sweetbreads, kidneys, livers etc ) with a couple of bottles of cheap Bhuzbag

Then home to open a bottle of Pol Roger and watch the fireworks from the HAC

S

He he Macrosan you silly old sod :biggrin:

This year, inspired by Chez Bruce, we are not offering a choice, but there will be alternatives if guest have a problem with any course.Also paring wines is not something we have done before.

Our Guests tonight are all regulars, and most of them have done the last 3 or 4 NYEs at my place.

Happy New Year to all!!!!!! :biggrin:

PS..we shut down after tonight , for yet another holiday....re-open 30th Jan.Will be thinking of you all at work, as i'm sure you will be thinking of me working tonight! :raz:

Tonight we'll be dining at Ruth's Chris in Toronto. We've secured a room overlooking City Hall and will be taking a bottle of Cristal to share at midnight while watching the City Hall festivities. Tomorrow, I'm not at all sure I'll be up for cooking, but will be trying to make a Zuccotto, and likely Candied Oriental Pork, with garlic mashed potatoes.

Marlene

Practice. Do it over. Get it right.

Mostly, I want people to be as happy eating my food as I am cooking it.

In a couple of hours time, boiled salt cod and octupus + boiled potatoes, carrots, cabbage, eggs. Just the same as Christmas Eve :biggrin:

Eggy rice pudding, rabanadas, fritters of some sort maybe, and my trad English trifle, lemon version of the clementine cake I made at Christmas, Rose Levy Beranbaum's White Spice Pound Cake (smells lovely), a frozen chocolate mousse-cake thing and a heavy eggy-almondy cake.

Tomorrow: left-overs ("old clothes", as they call them here) + some sort of home-raised fowl.

15 adults, 8 children - :rolleyes:

Chloe

in veeeerrry wet Portugal

Flight of five sakes for non-drivers. Flight of three ancient China teas (one is 85 years old) for drivers.

What's the 411 on those teas? I thought I was reasonably tea-literate, but have never heard of ancien tea. I am assuming that this is legit 85 yrs (not like 1000 yr eggs). Where do you get them? How are they aged - in large lots? in bricks?

Seriously curious,

A.

(The tea bug bit when I discovered there was something called 'Monkey-picked tea' ...and it was good!)

Laurie Colwin's tradition:

Marinated Brussel Sprouts

Broiled Salmon topped with salsa

w/ potatoes and asparagus

Parmesan Sesame Biscuits

Lemon Rice Pudding

optional - Almond Tuiles

I think I'll stick with a southern inspired combo of blackeyed peas, collard greens, and rice. Jazzed up with pancetta. Some lemon curd to make with leftover egg yolks.

Due to unexpected events, all our previous plans were cancelled and as a result, the New Year´s Eve dinner had to be assembled very quickly; therefore, cheeses, bread, crackers, fruit etc. Ice cream and chocolate will follow soon… :smile:

Will be thinking of you all at work, as i'm sure you will be thinking of me... :raz:

Yes, Basildog. We will be thinking of you.

In fact, in order to properly honour the occasion, I have even fashioned an actual Basil Dog - a dog of basil - in much the same manner and appearance as a Chia Pet, although to be sure, a particularly lush, classy and aromatic Chia Pet.

And, we plan to celebrate the stroke of midnight twice.

The first will be at Zulu, or Greenwich Mean Time, when we assume you will also be celebrating. We will hoist high our glasses of pale amber sparkling bubbly, at the exact time you will also be hoisting, in order to demonstrate the intermingling of our hearts, minds, souls and spirits across the cosmos.

At which point, I will disassemble the Basil Dog and, along with some EVOO, pepper, pine nuts, cheese, etc., will whip up a Basildog Pesto, which we will consume in your honour, in further symbolism of our communion with you at this portentous moment in the universe.

And then, when the clock strikes midnight Texas Time, we will celebrate again, with our own tradition of black-eyed peas and cornbread and greens and pot likker, and twelve grapes fed to our beloved, one with each chime of the clock.

But, Sweet BasilD, you will not be forgotten during this second celebration.

Because it will have been approximately six hours since the ingestion of the symbolic Basil Dog, we will now each be able to offer up yet another basil-laden gift, although discretion (and local ordinances) demands we produce this in the privacy of our own bathrooms, rather than in the more common dog fashion - out on the lawn.

:biggrin:

Edited by Jaymes (log)

I don't understand why rappers have to hunch over while they stomp around the stage hollering.  It hurts my back to watch them. On the other hand, I've been thinking that perhaps I should start a rap group here at the Old Folks' Home.  Most of us already walk like that.

Will be thinking of you all at work, as i'm sure you will be thinking of me... :raz:

Yes, Basildog. We will be thinking of you.

In fact, in order to properly honour the occasion, I have even fashioned an actual Basil Dog - a dog of basil - in much the same manner and appearance as a Chia Pet, although to be sure, a particularly lush, classy and aromatic Chia Pet.

And, we plan to celebrate the stroke of midnight twice.

The first will be at Zulu, or Greenwich Mean Time, when we assume you will also be celebrating. We will hoist high our glasses of pale amber sparkling bubbly, at the exact time you will also be hoisting, in order to demonstrate the intermingling of our hearts, minds, souls and spirits across the cosmos.

At which point, I will disassemble the Basil Dog and, along with some EVOO, pepper, pine nuts, cheese, etc., will whip up a Basildog Pesto, which we will consume in your honour, in further symbolism of our communion with you at this portentous moment in the universe.

And then, when the clock strikes midnight Texas Time, we will celebrate again, with our own tradition of black-eyed peas and cornbread and greens and pot likker, and twelve grapes fed to our beloved, one with each chime of the clock.

But, Sweet BasilD, you will not be forgotten during this second celebration.

Because it will have been approximately six hours since the ingestion of the symbolic Basil Dog, we will now each be able to offer up yet another basil-laden gift, although discretion (and local ordinances) demands we produce this in the privacy of our own bathrooms, rather than in the more common dog fashion - out on the lawn.

:biggrin:

Your Fucking Nuts! :laugh::laugh::laugh:

I just got home after 17 hours on my feet.Fantastic night, happy guests, food worked a dream.Best bit was my wife and daughter turning up and Becky was just an angel.Sooooo well behaved, charming all our regulars(little did they know she was a horror during the day)

I have left the restaurant a total mess.Very unprofessional, but i was beat......so fire me :raz:

Tommy -

What is that you're serving with your bulgogi? Those little dishes of something, I mean.

I don't understand why rappers have to hunch over while they stomp around the stage hollering.  It hurts my back to watch them. On the other hand, I've been thinking that perhaps I should start a rap group here at the Old Folks' Home.  Most of us already walk like that.