• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

ISO candy for topping, to add to batters

JeanneCake

My local supermaket no longer stocks the bags of chopped Skor bars. Now all I can get are chopped Heath bars and they don't work at all well. When I use the Heath bits for the topping on my banana cream petit fours (rum flavored pastry cream in choc cup, topped with a banana slice, glazed, sprinkle with Skor bits) it looks horrendous (the skor kept its shape, the Heath melts). The Heath bars also don't work as well in my white choc toffee chzcake, but since they're in the cake it isn't as bad. Does anyone know if they stopped making Skor bars?

I'd also like to find a source for peppermint candy bits to add to cheesecake batter. I wanted to make a candy cane cheesecake, and have experimented a few times with chopped candy canes in a white choc chzcake batter, but I'd like something that stays a little more solid, something along the lines of the bits in peppermint chip ice cream.

Thanks!

I order the chopped Skor bits in cases from my supplier, which is Puratos. They aren't real

good about keeping them in stock, but since I know that, I always place my order way ahead,

so I can get 'em when I need 'em. Have you checked with your supplier about buying by the

case? Can they special order them? If you get them from a commercial supplier, you'll probably

save a little money too.

Also, have you asked the store manager about why they stopped carrying the Skor bits? Usually if you ask them to start carrying something again, they will.

Regarding the peppermint candy bits, I'm guessing that they stay more solid in the ice cream because they are added at the end of the process, so there's no time for them to soften and bleed. When added to a cheesecake batter they have time to soften because they're in the

liquid batter for quite a while before it sets in the oven. Personally, I like the fact that they

soften and bleed in a cheesecake as it will flavor the whole thing quite nicely. :smile:

Edited by chefpeon (log)

Hi ... I use Perkins for most of my dry goods and the oreo crumbs from an earlier post; they don't carry Skor bits and my salesperson had no luck with a special order, which is why I was buying them retail. I didn't ask at the store, since I couldn't find the whole candy bar, I thought maybe Hershey stopped making it. But that's a good idea.

I tried going to the puratos web site, but can't find any US locations - maybe I'm looking in the wrong place? I know they advertise in Modern Baking, there has to be something in New England.

I had a peppermint mocha at Starbucks and that's what started me off on this whole candy cane cheesecake obsession! I thought I would just add some peppermint schnapps to my existing white choc toffee chzcake recipe and replace the toffee with the candy bits (the toffee melts too). I think I just wanted some crunch in the cheesecake, it could use a little more peppermint flavor in it, but I didn't want it to be a dark chocolate cheesecake. It's ok, could use more peppermint flavoring, so I'm definitely going to be doing this again and again. But... if you have a recipe you'd be willing to share ...! :biggrin:

I tried going to the puratos web site, but can't find any US locations - maybe I'm looking in the wrong place? I know they advertise in Modern Baking, there has to be something in New England.

I know, it's weird....I visited the Puratos website too, and if you go by that, you would think they don't have a presence here. Here's what I know. In Seattle, there was a supplier that I used for a long time, called "Sam Wylde Flour Company". Turns out Sam got bought by Puratos. I don't know how many other local suppliers that Puratos bought into, and maybe they don't have a presence in New England yet. Regardless, Skor is a Hershey product.....curiously, when I checked Hershey's website, the Skor brand isn't even mentioned. But Heath is. Maybe Hershey's DID discontinue the Skor bar, and Puratos hasn't informed me yet. Just like them.

dont know if you can buy them in the states, but I think matchmaker mint sticks could be good in cheesecake....

Spam in my pantry at home.

Think of expiration, better read the label now.

Spam breakfast, dinner or lunch.

Think about how it's been pre-cooked, wonder if I'll just eat it cold.

wierd al ~ spam

I use cut up thin mints (Andes) in cheesecake instead of candy cane for a mint accent. Depending upon your tastes I opt for a mint extract instead of a mint liqueur. Personally I find peppermint schnapps to be sickening sweet, whereas using a mint extract or oil only gives you the mint flavor without any added notes.

You can put chopped up candy canes in a topping for your cheesecake. I mix some with white chocolate, chop it up and sprinkle it on top of my finished cake, for crunch.

Depending upon your time schedule I find making toffee a pretty simple item. The price difference between purchased bars and homemade is huge.

I know, it's weird....I visited the Puratos website too, and if you go by that, you would think they don't have a presence here.

Puratos has an office in New Jersey. The phone number is 800/654-0036.

Their website also has a number in Philadelphia 800/486-5222. It's strange that

the US section on the website isn't highlighted but you can click on it and it lists the US offices.

They merged with Fisher a while back...not sure who bought who ...

It's hard to keep up with the mergers with the different pastry vendors.

Check out an online source for retail candy and baking supplies. CaliforniaCandy.com sometimes has hard to find stuff though you will pay for it.

(Darn, I love those Skor bits. Now I'll have to look for them. If I find them, I could send them though that seems silly.)

So long and thanks for all the fish.