• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

French Fries West Side Vancouver

Sam Salmon

Maybe it's the cold weather that causes a craving for French Fries-I dunno.

Is there somewhere West of Main that serves a decent fry w/choice of interesting dips?

With holiday traffic being what it is (saw 2 people blow red lights before 10:00 hrs today :wacko: ) I'm reluctant to haul over to Commie Drive to the 'Belgian' place.

Downtown?W End?

TIA

Edited by Sam Salmon (log)

There's Fritz on the southwest corner of Davie at Granville, right by Blenz Coffee. It has a whole pile of great flavoured mayos for that European fry experience and also serves poutine.

Edited by Mooshmouse (log)

Joie Alvaro Kent

"I like rice. Rice is great if you're hungry and want 2,000 of something." ~ Mitch Hedberg

I went to Fritz European Fryhouse 718 Davie on Friday, they have Belgian Fries with the mayo plus many other Canadian variations such as poutine and chilli fries.

The fries were better than the ones on the Drive, with one exception, no Deep Fried Mars Bars.

It is almost as good as I remember in Holland but without the jetlag.

I don't really get the mar's bar at the place on the drive. It looked to me like it was frozen and pre-battered. Then he topped it with whipped cream and some sort of red sauce (raspberry) and the guy called me Boss about thirty times. It was gooey and choclatey though.

David Cooper

"I'm no friggin genius". Rob Dibble

http://www.starlinebyirion.com/

Moosh you type too fast.

Actually, you're right on that one; my typing speed is kinda scary, actually. Mind you, I need to have some way of keeping pace with my verbal diarrhea. :rolleyes:

Edited because I have to remember not to use the smilies as punctuation.

Edited by Mooshmouse (log)

Joie Alvaro Kent

"I like rice. Rice is great if you're hungry and want 2,000 of something." ~ Mitch Hedberg

Go Fish daytime only wed-sun

Zizanie nightime only (7th/Fir) quebec bistro, great poutine & fries.

Fiction has awesome Yam Fries, with dips.

What about Hamilton Street Grill for yam fries? (he says looking around for the shill police :biggrin: )

Still don't know why anyone would have a problem with Commercial Drive ... Belgian Fries is well worth dealing with the parking (which is best on the streets to the West of the Drive.) Can't do much about morons running red lights 'tho.

A.

Sam,

With the cold weather and holiday traffic, all the more reason to make your own at home. The recipe for Belgian style frites is great in the ABourdain cookbook, "Les Halles". Actually it's a no brainer procedure and the results are worth it. Make up some chipotle-mayo or something and gorge! I find one large Russet spud is just the right quantity for a "hit".

What about Feenie's? I got very good fries (in poutine) there last time I was in town, and someone at my table ordered a side of fries which came with some dips or relishes (or were the dips with their burger? anyway, they were good and you could probably ask for them).

Hong Kong Dave

O que nao mata engorda.

Maybe it's the cold weather that causes a craving for French Fries-I dunno.

Is there somewhere West of Main that serves a decent fry w/choice of interesting dips?

With holiday traffic being what it is (saw 2 people blow red lights before 10:00 hrs today :wacko: ) I'm reluctant to haul over to Commie Drive to the 'Belgian' place.

Downtown?W End?

TIA

They may not have dip (other than mayo), but Salade de Fruits Cafe at West 7th and Granville has very good fries and moules to go with it. And unlike Chambar they give you a spoon with your moules. Be advised though that they only have two wines on the menu, red and white. You can bring your own wine though and they'll charge you a very reasonable corking charge.

During the summer, I like the fries they serve at the concession stand at Spanish Banks. Nothing beats the piping hot spuds while sitting on a log watching the action around the beach.

I have yet to find a good fry place on the west side here but the ones I had at Sausi's on West Broadway recently weren't too bad. It came with a peppercorn type cream sauce that may have been left over from a steak dish but it went well with the fries.

The Tanq Ten martini made the occasion all the more enjoyable for sure.

An order of Curry Chips, hand cut, twice fried, skin on, served with a mild tomato curry sauce at Irish Heather in Gastown with a perfect pint of Black n Tan. The cold damp weather only adds to the ambience. The reason for the hard benches in the back is to keep you upright after a few pints.

Cheers.

:wink:

What about Feenie's?  I got very good fries (in poutine) there last time I was in town, and someone at my table ordered a side of fries which came with some dips or relishes (or were the dips with their burger? anyway, they were good and you could probably ask for them).

I second the vote for Feenies- the fries are fantastic- I have consumed way more than my fair share. The condiments are for the burgers but they did at one point serve their spicy mayo and ketchup with fries...don't know if they still do but one can always request....

*on a side note, it is so nice to see a group of well spoken individuals that like eating/discussing food as much as I do* hi everyone, I'm new....

"Never eat more than you can lift" -Miss Piggy

I second the vote for Feenies- the fries are fantastic- I have consumed way more than my fair share.  The condiments are for the burgers but they did at one point serve their spicy mayo and ketchup with fries...don't know if they still do but one can always request....

*on a side note, it is so nice to see a group of well spoken individuals that like eating/discussing food as much as I do* hi everyone, I'm new....

Yeah Megs, ... what with your "Posts" counter reading "1" I was able to deduce your "newness" :biggrin: Welcome! Next to fries, eG will soon become your favorite addiction.

Nothing like Feenie's for me today ... like Keith did last week, I took one for the team today and had lunch at Wendy's :shock: I actually enjoy their hamburgers if I have to eat fast food. But their fries!?!?!?! I had a couple and threw the rest out. Undercooked and tasteless. I was so bummed out I had to break into the Christmas baking when I got home. :laugh:

A.

Welcome Megs! You will now be as unproductive at work as the rest of us :biggrin:

Way to take one for the team Arne! Wendy's has the worst fries I have ever sampled, but after watching Supersize Me, I have a hard time even considering fast food joint fries. The bloody things don't break down!!! :shock: They're supposed to be potato, what the hell is up with that!!

**scary, this was my 300th post :shock: must...turn...off...computer....

Edited by peppyre (log)

Welcome Megs!  You will now be as unproductive at work as the rest of us  :biggrin:

Why thank you!  I mean, I need something to do during the day..... :wink:

Way to take one for the team Arne!  Wendy's has the worst fries I have ever sampled, but after watching Supersize Me, I have a hard time even considering fast food joint fries.  The bloody things don't break down!!! :shock:  They're supposed to be potato, what the hell is up with that!!

**scary, this was my 300th post :shock:  must...turn...off...computer....

"Never eat more than you can lift" -Miss Piggy