• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

The Eighteenth Century Cocktail

slkinsey

Many of us are familiar with the Twentieth Century Cocktail, which is made with gin, Lillet blonde, lemon juice and white crème de cacao. It's an interesting drink because it starts out as a nice lemony gin sour, but then has the unexpected cacao finish.

Anyway... a while back I was over at Fat Guy's place and we were poking around in his liquor cabinet trying to think of something to mix up. I noticed that he had some nice dark rum, Cointreau and plenty of limes, and thought they had the makings of a good cocktail. He had some white crème de cacao, and I thought it might be fun to put in a dash of that as well. Well, I was right. Turns out it's pretty good. After some experimentation, I've settled on the following:

1.5 oz : Myer's Original Dark rum (or other Jamaican dark rum)

1.0 oz : Cointreau

0.5 oz : fresh lime juice

0.25 oz : white crème de cacao

Shake well with cracked ice and strain into a chilled cocktail glass. I haven't thought of a good garnish yet.

Ordinarily I wouldn't have a drink with 1.25 ounces of modifiers to only 1.5 ounces of the base spirit, but Myer's has a very full and rich flavor that has no trouble making its presence felt. In taste, the drink has much in common with the Twentieth Century Cocktail: it starts off as a dark rum sour, and then has a somewhat unexpected cacao finish. Rum and cacao isn't nearly as unexpected as gin and cacao, of course, but it's the general idea. I decided to call it the Eighteenth Century Cocktail to pay homage to the Twentieth Century Cocktail, and because rum was the liquor of the 18th century.

Give it a try.

--