• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Red Robin Gourmet Burgers.

iamthestretch

This West Coast outfit now has seven locations in Maryland and ten in Virginia, but if you're in DC then, like me, you likely wouldn't have known it as they're all in the outer 'burbs. Since it's big-box shopping time right now, though, it'd be pretty easy to arrange to be somewhere near one around lunch time sometime this weekend. But is it worth the gas? (In the car, not in me.)

Have to say the Royal looks OK right now -- on the principle that nearly anything can be improved by topping it with a fried egg. And some folks sure seem to like their burgers, judging by the 500 percent increase in their stock price, even if some of their corporate philosophy is, well, a little lame.

So, would you hit it? Should I?

"Mine goes off like a rocket." -- Tom Sietsema, Washington Post, Feb. 16.

While driving thru PA. to visit my mother-law for Thanksgiving we stopped at one in Wilkes Barre.

I would not go out of my way to return, but for a quick lunch while Holiday shopping it would be a good choice.

Keep in mind their theme is burgers and cocktails which is a great concept before visiting the mother-in-law. Which may have had an impact on my opinion.

Robert R

It's okay. Nothing outstanding though. I went to the one in Leesburg once and ate at the bar. The burger is fine, a little better than Fuddrucker's but not worth a detour.

I agree with Mnebergall about Chick-Fil-A. :wub:

i would have to vote no as well. i've been to the ones in charlottesville and oakland. it's no better than shitholes like applebees or ruby tuesdays. and not as good as bob's big boy.

I wanna say something. I'm gonna put it out there; if you like it, you can take it, if you don't, send it right back. I want to be on you.

The orginal Red Robin location in Seattle offers burgers with gratuitous combinations of toppings, endless free baskets of fries, and brightly-colored syrupy-sweet drinks. Most of the mid-twenties crowd watching the Sonics at the bar have been eating there since they were toddlers. The only difference is that now they order the alcoholic versions of the pink lemonade and chocolate shakes. I can only assume the DC area outlets have copied the same basic business model.

Chief Scientist / Amateur Cook

MadVal, Seattle, WA

Proud signatory to the eG Ethics code

i would have to vote no as well.  i've been to the ones in charlottesville and oakland.  it's no better than shitholes like applebees or ruby tuesdays.  and not as good as bob's big boy.

That's pretty much the sense I got from them, the one time I ended up in one. What makes it 'gourmet' exactly? The shaker of paprika-cayenne-salt you can buy from your waitron? This place seems to hold the same unexplainable mythical position as Chick-Fil-A.

Matt Robinson

Prep for dinner service, prep for life! A Blog

The Royal Red Robin is a very good burger. Anything with a fried egg on top of it is usually good.

But it is a chain, Tom Sietsema hasn't gotten around to reviewing it yet, and you probably don't get to hang out with area restaurant employees there at 1 in the morning :raz:

Love,

Mr. Roger Troutman, who enjoys food and beverages.

CHAIR, INTERNATIONAL DINING RESEARCH INSTITUTE

WASHINGTON, D.C.

The Royal Red Robin is a very good burger. Anything with a fried egg on top of it is usually good.

But it is a chain, Tom Sietsema hasn't gotten around to reviewing it yet, and you probably don't get to hang out with area restaurant employees there at 1 in the morning  :raz:

But how are their miniburgers? :biggrin:

Actually, I have eaten at the Fair Lakes location a few times, mostly out of convenience. The burgers are ok - not bad, but not spectacular.

"My cat's breath smells like cat food."

One of these popped up near me recently, I have been tempted to drop by to see what the fuss is about. I remember eating at a Fudrucker's once, many years ago, and thinking that the burger was pretty damn good there, but of course, I was 11.

He don't mix meat and dairy,

He don't eat humble pie,

So sing a miserere

And hang the bastard high!

- Richard Wilbur and John LaTouche from Candide

I've been there once (3 or 4 yrs. ago) and don't plan on ever returning. At my then-boyfriend's urging, I tried the Banzai burger, and my stomach still churns in memory of the mouthfuls of THICK GOBS OF EQUAL PARTS TERIYAKI SAUCE AND MAYO. Swirled together.

Urf.... the horror.

That's all I remember of my burger. I managed to get down about 2 bites.

After hearing my friends rave about how good Red Robin was especially for the kids, my wife and I took the family to the spot at the Dulles Town Center. We had a half-hour wait at 6:30 on a Monday night-things looked promising-crowded, must be a good spot, right?

We get seated and close to a 20 minutes go by and not even an acknowledgement from our waiter. He was to busy with the soccer team party of 20 to even give us a nod or send anyone else over. After getting the attention of our hostess and mentioning the lack of service, she took it upon herself to wait on our table for the rest of the night-of course at this point its now 7:30 and she had no lines to seat.

While I could see the appeal for the kids on a visual level, however, it was the usual kids menu offered just about anywhere. Of course all my kids really cared about were the french fries that kept coming to the table.

I have to say the fries were the best part of our meal. I can't recall what "gourmet" burger I had, but I could not finish it due to the overwhelming sodium content which overpowerd the taste. I pulled out the beef and finished it alone...not bad, but not great.

Will I go back? No. Less hassle to go the the Fuddruckers down the road.

I'm another who would advocate against Red Robin. We've been a few times at three different locations. The last time we went our service (and cooking) was so bad that we were comped our meal and given a $50 gift certificate. The certificate sat in my wife's wallet so long we ended up giving it to our dog walker.

Bill Russell