• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create an account.

Sign in to follow this  
anchita

Indian cutlery

Hi all, my first post here.

At another forum I visit, there were some people wondering if India, with its distinct (and delicious!) cuisine for the past so many centuries, has also developed some distinct types of cutlery. For example, the westerners have knives such as chef's, boning, slicer, parer etc., the Japanese have their own, the Chinese have their cleavers and so on.

Being from India, however, I could not think of knives specific to India or its cuisine. To begin with, while I was there, I was never aware of cutlery as a very important part of the kitchen; whatever was sharp enough to cut would do, without much emphasis on its shape/design, ergonomics, steel etc., but that might've been just me... What I have usually seen in Indian (home) kitchens are what I would describe in western terms as 'utility' knives of different sizes, and some serrated ones that don't belong to any named category that I know of. Also, in my grandma's kitchen there used to be an old, wooden-handled carbon steel knife with square tip, presumably similar to what the Japanese use as their 'vegetable' knife. Again, my family is a vegetarian one, so I'm totally unaware of what cutlery might be used for meat.

I have been thinking about this for a while even before this question came up, and I am pretty intrigued to know what you think. So any thoughts regarding the specifc (or not so specifc) type of cutlery that was/is used in Indian cooking, vegetarian and non-veg, north or south, would be really interesting to know.

Thanks,

Anchita

what about the fixed blade knife?

the kind you sit on the wooden part and

move the veggies back and forth to slice?

called bonthi in bangla and aruvaamanai in tamil?

also various coconut graters, though that may not

fit yr definition of cutlery?

milagai

You know what, I've never seen one of those (the aruvaananai/bonthi), not one that I can remember or correlate.. But that seems to be a pretty interesting concept! Do you mean the blade is fixed on a wooden block/board and you wield the vegetable instead of the knife? Do you have a photograph that you can post (or the link to it?)

Edited by anchita (log)

edited to add: oops..just noticed that its about 'cutlery' and not just any kitchen apparatus. sorry. my bad. post deleted.

Edited by FaustianBargain (log)

Thanks for the link, da_coolestofall. It made for very interesting and informative reading (and looking!)

not a problem anchita. Infact they have something similar to that in most north-indian homes too, but for some reason I have no idea what it's called.

Not sure if the original poster meant cutlery as in things you eat with or cookware as in things you cook/prepare food with.

As for the latter, the "bonti", as others have mentioned is quite ubiquituous. In our Bengali household in Kolkata, there was one bonti for cutting vegetables, one bonti (a bigger one) for cutting fish and meat, and there was another one -- this one had the coconut grater attachment -- this one was used to grate coconuts.

Then there is a "katari", it is a heavy-duty knife, used for various things, e.g. chopping a green coconut.

Here are some other cookware/cutlery I can quickly think of, worth mentioning:

Then there is the "Shil nora" -- this is the Bengali equivalent of a mortar & pestle. The "Shil" is a flat, rectangular stone, and the nora is a cylindrical piece of stone. Both have notches made into them. These are used to wet-grind spices. Not sure if this is used in other parts of India.

Then there is also a "shanrashi" -- this is like a pair of pliers -- it's used to grab hot utensils.

You use a "Kunro" (made of clay) or "kolshi" (made of metal) to store water. The clay one is useful as is made of unglazed clay and hence slowly evaporates water, which in turn helps keep the water cool.

As for "eating-ware", there are plates, called "thala" in Bengali, and bowls, called "bati" and tumblers, called "gelash" (from english "glass" I think). We used to have stainless steel "thala"/"bati"/"gelash" for day-to-day use. Utensils made of "kansha" (a type of bronze) are more traditional, and in our household they were reserved for special occasions. We also had these "enamelled" utensils, but we rarely used the.

Not sure if the original poster meant cutlery as in things you eat with or cookware as in things you cook/prepare food with.

As for the latter, the "bonti", as others have mentioned is quite ubiquituous. In our Bengali household in Kolkata, there was one bonti for cutting vegetables, one bonti (a bigger one) for cutting fish and meat, and there was another one -- this one had the coconut grater attachment -- this one was used to grate coconuts.

Then there is a "katari", it is a heavy-duty knife, used for various things, e.g. chopping a green coconut.

I meant cutlery to be mostly knives etc. I read the article about 'bonti/bonthi' from the link in a previous post.. Very informative and interesting. I hadn't seen one in the households I was familiar with in India (suburban Rajasthan) so it was particularly intriguing. Also, the word 'katar' and its variations mean the same thing in Hindi: some sort of a heavy knife, though not always used for cooking.

Here are some other cookware/cutlery I can quickly think of, worth mentioning:

Then there is the "Shil nora" -- this is the Bengali equivalent of a mortar & pestle. The "Shil" is a flat, rectangular stone, and the nora is a cylindrical piece of stone. Both have notches made into them. These are used to wet-grind spices. Not sure if this is used in other parts of India.

We call it 'sil batta.' Amazing how similar these names are!

Then there is also a "shanrashi" -- this is like a pair of pliers -- it's used to grab hot utensils.

And that is called 'sandasi' in Hindi, though some people simply call it a 'pakar/pakad' meaning 'grip.'

You use a "Kunro" (made of clay) or "kolshi" (made of metal) to store water.  The clay one is useful as is made of unglazed clay and hence slowly evaporates water, which in turn helps keep the water cool.

The clay pot would be a 'ghada' or 'matka.'

As for "eating-ware", there are plates, called "thala" in Bengali, and bowls, called "bati" and tumblers, called "gelash" (from english "glass" I think). We used to have stainless steel "thala"/"bati"/"gelash" for day-to-day use.  Utensils made of "kansha" (a type of bronze) are more traditional, and in our household they were reserved for special occasions. We also had these "enamelled" utensils, but we rarely used the.

Numerous similarities here too... Well, we ARE from the same country!!

Edited by anchita (log)

Anchita - belated welcome to the forums. I appreciate your posts and look forward to hearing more from you.

:laugh: In all of my years of eatingup food at home I've never come across one cutlery, that is not to say any least of indian cooking, but to comment the fact they are more aware of sensuality of food as more that of a total experience to touching it in your hands, very close to food, of ours, if ever it stings your hands because of heat bothe temperature or cause chilli, it may of a learning and leavening xperience to our souls... :laugh::raz::rolleyes:

Sign in to follow this  

• Similar Content

• By liuzhou
      Perhaps the food-related question I get asked most through my blog is “What's it like for vegetarians and vegans in China. The same question came up recently on another thread, so I put this together. Hope it's useful. It would also, be great to hear other people's experience and solutions.

For the sake of typing convenience I’m going to conflate 'vegetarians and vegan' into just 'vegetarian' except where strictly relevant.
      First a declaration of non-interest. I am very carnivorous, but I have known vegetarians who have passed through China, some staying only a few weeks, others staying for years.

Being vegetarian in China is a complicated issue. In some ways, China is probably one of the best countries in which to be vegetarian. In other ways, it is one of the worst.

I spent a couple of years in Gorbachev-era Russia and saw the empty supermarkets and markets. I saw people line up for hours to buy a bit of bread.. So, when I first came to China, I kind of expected the same. Instead, the first market I visited astounded me. The place was piled high with food, including around 30 different types of tofu, countless varieties of steamed buns and flat breads and scores of different vegetables, both fresh and preserved, most of which I didn't recognise. And so cheap I could hardly convert into any western currency.
      If you are able to self-cater then China is heaven for vegetarians. For short term visitors dependent on restaurants or street food, the story is very different.

Despite the perception of a Buddhist tradition (not that strong, actually), very few Chinese are vegetarian and many just do not understand the concept. Explaining in a restaurant that you don't eat meat is no guarantee that you won't be served meat.

Meat is seen in China as a status symbol. If you are rich, you eat more meat.And everyone knows all foreigners are rich, so of course they eat meat! Meat eating is very much on the rise as China gets more rich - even to the extent of worrying many economists, food scientists etc. who fear the demand is pushing up prices and is environmentally dangerous. But that's another issue. Obesity is also more and more of a problem.
      Banquet meals as served in large hotels and banquet dedicated restaurants will typically have a lot more meat dishes than a smaller family restaurant. Also the amount of meat in any dish will be greater in the banquet style places.

Traditional Chinese cooking is/was very vegetable orientated. I still see my neighbours come home from the market with their catch of greenery every morning. However, whereas meat wasn't the central component of dinner, it was used almost as a condiment or seasoning. Your stir fried tofu dish may come with a scattering of ground pork on top, for example. This will not usually be mentioned on the menu.
      Simple stir fried vegetables are often cooked in lard (pig fat) to 'improve' the flavour.

Another problem is that the Chinese word for meat (肉), when used on its own refers to pork. Other meats are specified, eg (beef) is 牛肉, literally cattle meat. What this means is that when you say you don't eat meat, they often think you mean you don't eat pork (something they do understand from the Chinese Muslim community), so they rush off to the kitchen and cook you up some stir fried chicken! I've actually heard a waitress saying to someone that chicken isn't meat. Also, few Chinese wait staff or cooks seem to know that ham is pig meat. I have also had a waitress argue ferociously with me that the unasked for ham in a dish of egg fried rice wasn't meat.

Also, Chinese restaurant dishes are often given have really flowery, poetic names which tell you nothing of the contents. Chinese speakers have to ask. One dish on my local restaurant menu reads “Maternal Grandmother's Fluttering Fragrance.” It is, of course, spicy pork ribs!
      Away from the tourist places, where you probably don't want to be eating anyway, very few restaurants will have translations of any sort. Even the best places' translations will be indecipherable. I have been in restaurants where they have supplied an “English menu”, but if I didn't know Chinese would have been unable to order anything. It was gibberish.

To go back to Buddhism and Taoism, it is a mistake to assume that genuine followers of either (or more usually a mix of the two) are necessarily vegetarian. Many Chinese Buddhists are not. In fact, the Dalai Lama states in his autobiography that he is not vegetarian. It would be very difficult to survive in Tibet on a vegetarian diet.

There are vegetarian restaurants in many places (although the ones around where I am never seem to last more than six months). In the larger cities such as Beijing and Shanghai they are more easily findable.

Curiously, many of these restaurants make a point of emulating meat dishes. The menu reads like any meat using restaurant, but the “meat” is made from vegetable substitutes (often wheat gluten or konjac based).

To be continued
    • By Deeps
      This is one of my daughter favorite dishes, being mild and less spicy she loves this rice dish.  Its super easy to make and goes well with most Indian curries.
      Do try this out and I am sure you will be happy with the results.

Prep Time : 5 mins
      Cook Time: 5 mins
      Serves: 2

Ingredients:
      1 cup rice(basmati), cooked
      1/2 cup coconut, shredded or grated
      1 green chili, slit
      1 dried red chili
      1 1/2 tablespoon oil/ghee(clarified butter)
      1/2 teaspoon mustard seeds
      1/2 teaspoon cumin seeds
      1/2 tablespoon chana dal(split chickpeas)
      1/2 tablespoon urad dal(split black gram)
      1 teaspoon ginger, finely chopped
      A pinch of hing (asafoetida)
      Few curry leaves
      Salt to taste

Directions
      1) Heat oil/ghee(clarified butter) in a pan in medium flame. I used coconut oil here because it tastes best for this dish.
      2) Add mustard seeds, cumin seeds, chana dal(split chickpeas), urad dal(split black gram), green chili, dried red chili, ginger and curry leaves. Fry this for 30 seconds in medium flame. The trick is to ensure that these are fried but not burned.
      3) Add a pinch of hing(asafoetida) and mix well.
      4) Now add the cooked rice and coconut. Stir well for about 15 to 20 seconds and switch off the flame.
      5) Finally add salt into this and mix well. You could add peanuts or cashew nuts if you prefer. Goes well with most curries.
    • By Ling
      Hi everyone! In our last Iron Baker challenge, I was given the task of coming up with a modern take on the retro classic Pineapple Upside-down Cake. For those who missed it the first time around, a picture of my creation can be found here. Now that the first round is over, it's my pleasure to introduce gfron1 as the next baker who will be presented with the new challenge!
      gfron1 is a very talented baker who has posted beautiful dessert creations in our Dessert thread. I am a huge fan. Here is a look at what he can do!
      So, my challenge to gfron1 is this:
      Make a dessert containing an animal ingredient or product other than lard or bacon by October 10th.
      I think all of us will be waiting with bated breath for whatever innovative/scary/(and most importantly) tasty combinations you come up with!
      (Now we just gotta wait around until he notices this thread and accepts... )
      P.S. If you're vegetarian, I can change the challenge.
    • By Mjx
      I'm helping to prepare food for a party, and several of the guests are vegan, and, because I grew up in a vegetarian household, and a lot of the food we ate would have been suitable for vegans, too, I've been asked to come up with several suitable dishes.

The thing is, I'd like to make some dishes that are really appealing, rather than just 'pretty decent for a vegan dish'. I can think of several possibilities, but I'd love to hear other omnivores' experiences of vegan dishes that they really enjoyed, things they'd make themselves/again, or look forward to eating if they knew it was going to be served to them.

Thanks!
      M.