• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Frozen dim sum

hzrt8w

The most common frozen dim sum in my house is probably is the bun with vegetable fillings. Also, I get the fish shumai which I steam and add a mixtures of hot sauce, soya sauce, and sesame oil. Anyways, fish shumai is not something that is available in restaurant, it is like a street food.

Anyways, if I want dim sum then I would go to a restaurant to get them. The problem is not so much with the quality of dim sum but the variety of them. I want to see lots of food flowing around. It is not fun to eat dim sum at home with only 4-5 types of them.

Anyways, if I want dim sum then I would go to a restaurant to get them. The problem is not so much with the quality of dim sum but the variety of them. I want to see lots of food flowing around. It is not fun to eat dim sum at home with only 4-5 types of them.

Yuki: next time you go to eat at a dim sum restaurant, just save one piece of every dim sum dish that you have ordered. Take them home and freeze them. Then you can have your variety at home! LOL :biggrin:

W.K. Leung ("Ah Leung") aka "hzrt8w"

Yuki: next time you go to eat at a dim sum restaurant, just save one piece of every dim sum dish that you have ordered. Take them home and freeze them. Then you can have your variety at home! LOL :biggrin:

Well, although I like the variety but my stomach usually can not house that many food. Today, I had dim sum with my aunt and we ordered 10 dim sum for 4 people. I thought we didn't order enough but it was more than enough food..... My mom told me about my bad habit of always getting hungry really fast but when the food come, I will only take a couple bite.

They should get some dim sum restaurant here that serve two pieces of dim sum per dish. How am I going to finish 4 pieces of shu mai with my sister?

Well, although I like the variety but my stomach usually can not house that many food. Today, I had dim sum with my aunt and we ordered 10 dim sum for 4 people.

They should get some dim sum restaurant here that serve two pieces of dim sum per dish. How am I going to finish 4 pieces of shu mai with my sister?

Hmmmm... that depends on the individual. On the average in my family, we typically consume 3.5 to 4 plates of dim sum on average per person. More if we are really hungry. Personally I can eat 2 plates of har gow (that makes 8 pieces) all by myself. But siu mai may be too meaty for me to eat any more than 2 pieces.

2 pieces per order seems a bit too few. I ate in one dim sum restaurant in Mountain View where they served about 8 varieties of dim sums, one piece of each, on a lunch plate. Perhaps that setting may suit you better.

How about some name brands?  I'd be willing to do some taste testing!  :rolleyes:

Yetti:

A Hong Kong based manufacturer named "Doll" (or "Dolls"?) make good (read "okay") frozen har gow and siu mai (and wonton too). Well, they are never as good as the real thing but they can be convenient. The same manufacturer makes ramen noodles, which I like very much.

Most Asian grocers in the U.S. carry their brand. You should be able to find them in the frozen food section of the grocers in the D.C. area.

• 4 weeks later...

I have tried the ones from Trader Joes and while not comparable to the fresh ones you get in a restaurant, I happen to live 70 miles from a good Dim Sum place.

Also, at least I know they will be hot, vs some of the cold limp Dim Sum I have been served at some restaurants.

Heck, I live in Madrid, and the Chinese restaurants here are the worst of any city I've ever lived in. In the eight months I've been here the selection of frozen dimsum has expanded exponentially. Yes I miss the fresh stuff I used to get in Hong Kong. But you grab what you can. Do I buy frozen dimsum? Hell, yes, and it's damn better than nothing.

Just last week I served some microwaved frozen "ha gau" to a Brazilian couple and they were begging me for the address of the store where I bought it.

Okay, for me there is a big difference between dim sum and (jiaozi/shuijiao) dumplings, but thats a regional thing I think. There are a few things I will buy frozen just because I am too lazy to go through the process of making them from scratch (or even when I do make dumplings from scratch most of them will end up in the freezer) or because I don't know how to make them or because there is no place in the area to get these things from. My typical purchases are limited to dumplings, bbq pork buns, mantou, and spring onion pancakes (cong you bing). To me, these foods don't count as dim sum (well, with the exception of bbq pork buns)...While most of the options are the major brands, every now and then I can find small batch frozen versions of these foods, which I'm sure if the local restaurants serve them, thats where they're getting them from. Dumplings in the form of jiaozi are not something I would ever, EVER, consider ordering at a Chinese restaurant in the US unless I saw them making the dumplings or else I'm sure I'd be in for disappointment.

Edited by chengb02 (log)

• 4 years later...

I just now found this thread.

I have tried quite a few frozen dim sum of different types and of different manufacturers and all but one were so bad that I frequently had to throw them in the garbage. The exception is the frozen B.B.Q. Pork Bao with Oyster Sauce by O'Tasty Foods, Inc. City of Industry, CA 91745.

They are not the best I have ever had or made but they are definitely acceptable and definitely better than some I tried at a local San Diego restaurant which received good reviews for their dim sum.

The link "Cooking - Food - Recipes - Cookbook Collections" on my site contains my 1000+ cookbook collections, recipes, and other food information: http://dmreed.com

• 4 weeks later...
I just now found this thread.

I have tried quite a few frozen dim sum of different types and of different manufacturers and all but one were so bad that I frequently had to throw them in the garbage. The exception is the frozen B.B.Q. Pork Bao with Oyster Sauce by O'Tasty Foods, Inc. City of Industry, CA 91745.

They are not the best I have ever had or made but they are definitely acceptable and definitely better than some I tried at a local San Diego restaurant which received good reviews for their dim sum.

anyone have any favorite brands?

The link "Cooking - Food - Recipes - Cookbook Collections" on my site contains my 1000+ cookbook collections, recipes, and other food information: http://dmreed.com