• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Hallmark St James

Ed Hamilton

Anybody find this offering from Hallmark St James? Light gold color, aged in Scotland 17 years, according to the label.

I just found it in Chicago and haven't opened the bottle yet.

Well, I couldn't wait. The nose has hints of pear, smoky cedar.

The first sip is very light leading toward a slightly hot spice finish.

Overall a very light rum, without a lot of depth in the character.

gallery_12_463_1102735885.jpg

Sorry about the low quality of this photo, but you can see the color of this spirit aged in Scotland.

Edward Hamilton

Ministry of Rum.com

The Complete Guide to Rum

When I dream up a better job, I'll take it.

Sorry about the low quality of this photo, but you can see the color of this spirit aged in Scotland.

Ed, are you intimating that all rum aged in Scotland is going to be light in colour or just this one.

I am not sure where I posted on eG but Hallmark of St. James is no longer a working company having been wound up and investigated both in the UK and USA for, shall we call them, irregularities.

I don't want to suggest that rums aged in Scotland are going to be light in color. As for Hallmark, the fact that they are being shut down might explain why this rum was only about $12 including taxes in Chicago.

There are a number of great rums distilled in the Caribbean and then aged in Scotland.

Edward Hamilton

Ministry of Rum.com

You'll be surprised Ed. I see more and more markets opening up for as I call it top end rums. Single barrel, single distillery single mark aged rums.

Quite some are Stocked up In Liverpool to be sold to customers world wide who will lay it down in Glasgow to be bottled at the time they want it and to be labelled in there own way!

You'll have to see the rums in Liverpool, if you come over to Europe, just let me know,

Regards,

Ed

I can't wait. But the pound and the euro are killing me.

I've tasted some great single distillery rums, bottled in the UK and can't wait to drink more of them, but this Hallmark just isn't one of them.

Edward Hamilton

Ministry of Rum.com