• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Sushi Grade Seafood

smayman

I'll second Han Ah Reum (particularly in Wheaton). They have a separate stockpile of stuff they sell as sashimi - it's perfectly servicable and tasty though I don't know that you'll ever get the kind of absolutely sparkling fish you see at Sushi-ko on a good night. For that, I think maybe you could talk to a restaurant you respect about their sources, or see if they'll sell directly to you.

Edit: On second thought, what do you need it for? If it's to serve seared tuna on a bed of greens, the best fish you can find is probably fine.

Is anyone versed in whether "sashimi-grade" is an actual classification of food fish, i.e. Prime beef, or if there are USDA regulations around the use of the word?

Edited by eunny jang (log)

Check with Scott, the manager at BlackSalt Market on MacArthur to see what's come in. (Disclosure: I work there.) The Black Pearl organic farmed salmon is the freshest fish I've tasted since I moved to DC from CA. Nantucket Bay and Diver scallops from Maine would be wonderful as sashimi, and there is also sushi grade yellowfin tuna. Striped bass/rockfish is delivered daily from Delaware and is served as sashimi in the restaurant.

absolutely Slavin's on Glebe Rd. in Arlington.

Thank you thank you thank you! I didn't even know Slavin's was there. I'll go on my lunch break today. I need tuna, but I also need cuttlefish, which seems hard to find.

Follow up question - how about Japanese markets? I'm looking for shichimi togarashi (Japanese 7 spice powder) and am having trouble. I went to Da Hua Market in Chinatown yesterday - they have some Japanese stuff, but not this.

Edited by smayman (log)

Is anyone versed in whether "sashimi-grade" is an actual classification of food fish, i.e. Prime beef, or if there are USDA regulations around the use of the word?

Stolen from Yahoo:

Sushi-grade fish, available at specialty stores and fish vendors, must meet certain aesthetic and health requirements. According to New Hampshire's WMUR television station, fish that is suitable for eating raw must be frozen for seven days at negative 4 degrees Fahrenheit, or flash frozen for 15 hours at negative 31 degrees.

Contrary to popular belief, fish that's "fresh out of the ocean" is often dangerous to eat. This abstract of a recently archived New York Times article revealed some helpful facts:

<li>Fifty to sixty percent of sushi in United States is frozen at some point.

<li>The Food and Drug Administration stipulates that all fish to be eaten raw (with the exception of tuna) must be frozen first, in order to kill parasites.

<li>The FDA leaves enforcement of the frozen-fish rule to local health officials.

Tina Ujlaki of Food & Wine magazine rather unhelpfully notes that in addition to meeting the FDA freezing guidelines, "sushi-grade" fish must meet standards of freshness, fat content, and firmness.

Edited by smayman (log)

• 2 weeks later...

I got Douglas Rodriguez's Ceviche book and a Misono chef's knife for Christmas and am eager to put both to use. What kind of recommendations do people have for top notch fresh seafood in the DC area? I'm right across from Eastern Market and was wondering about the fishmonger there. I'm also assuming that Whole Foods is pretty solid. Any and all suggestions are appreciated. Thanks.

-Mike