• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Quiet-ish pub with snacks?

*Deborah*

A bunch of current and former co-workers are trying to meet up for drinks during the week to catch up, and we'd like somewhere loungey/pubby, but not sportsbarish or too loud. We'd also like it if it were somewhere where drinks aren't $10/each.

Original thought was YBC, but we think it's not quite quite for the bossish types among us, and would like somewhere with decent wine...the main thing is we don't want to have to shout to be heard.

My current thinking is the bar at Brix; I seldom go out for "drinks" at 5:00 or whatever, I'm more of a dinner person, can anyone recommend me somewhere suitable? preferably in the Yaletown area.

Thanks for your help :)

Agenda-free since 1966.

Foodblog: Power, Convection and Lies

Try The Kingston - Richards near Granville (the old RAT) pretty good snacks, decent winelist and good tap selection.

''Wine is a beverage to enjoy with your meal, with good conversation, if it's too expensive all you talk about is the wine.'' Bill Bowers - The Captain's Tavern, Miami

I'd also recommend the Lennox - corner of Robson & Granville (under the Burger King sign) - the food's not bad, the drink prices are about standard for downtown Vancouver, and, provided it's not a Friday, seating is pretty straightforward. We usually went upstairs - go to the end of the bar & up the stairs on the right - comfortable seats, and the service was generally good.

I will second Kingston Tap & Grill - they did a wonderful job renovating the place and the food is decent and drinks are reasonable.

For a more "loungy" suggestion near Yaletown, there is also The Quay Restaurant Lounge at 1137 Marinaside. I have passed by there many time and thought the room looks sleek and interesting, but I have never been inside. So, I cannot say what the drink prices are like.

As someone who lives next to The Quay, I can tell you that while their bar is certainly sleek and popular, it is also relatively small, busy and noisy. I think for what you're looking for, it wouldn't quite fit the bill.

I, too, thought of the bar at Brix and The Kingston, which is looking quite nice.

On a related topic -- I wish we had a down-to-earth, casual, neighbourhood pub in Yaletown. I can't believe everyone around here wants the pretentious faux-glitz of the Opus bar, or the uncomfortable but oh-so-trendy perches at Afterglow...

Edited by Xando Head (log)
Food Lover -- nothing more, nothing less

As someone who lives next to The Quay, I can tell you that while their bar is certainly sleek and popular, it is also relatively small, busy and noisy.  I think for what you're looking for, it wouldn't quite fit the bill.

I, too, thought of the bar at Brix and The Kingston, which is looking quite nice.

On a related topic -- I wish we had a down-to-earth, casual, neighbourhood pub in Yaletown.  I can't believe everyone around here wants the pretentious faux-glitz of the Opus bar, or the uncomfortable but oh-so-trendy perches at Afterglow...

I hear you. I go to Doolin's sometimes (Granville & Nelson) but my wardrobe isn't always up to some of the Yaletown spots. Have you eaten at that Japanese place on the 1200 block of Hamilton yet? (can't remember the name) the deep-fried prawns with sweet Thai chili mayonnaise are just...insanely good! as was everything else we tried.

Thanks for the pub ideas :) I'll let you know how it pans out.

Agenda-free since 1966.

Foodblog: Power, Convection and Lies

On a related topic -- I wish we had a down-to-earth, casual, neighbourhood pub in Yaletown.  I can't believe everyone around here wants the pretentious faux-glitz of the Opus bar, or the uncomfortable but oh-so-trendy perches at Afterglow...

Doesn't Yaletown Brewing fit the bill ? It's been a while since I've been there.

''Wine is a beverage to enjoy with your meal, with good conversation, if it's too expensive all you talk about is the wine.'' Bill Bowers - The Captain's Tavern, Miami