• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Gravy in Portland

Hi all. The last few days I have been in Portland house hunting with roomates. While I was there I managed to not only find a very nice home in the southeast part of Portland, but also a kick ass breakfast spot on the north end called Gravy.

My friends Stephen and Billy had recommended it, and anything named after the sauce of the gods hooked me in. We showed up around 10 am or so to get started. I ordered a nice tall glass of juice and my friends had two glasses of fine Stumptown coffee(which is where Stephen and I will be working). All along the wall it was lined with different gravy boats. The ceilings are very high and the space is just open enough to make this restaurant feel big without feeling empty. We ordered our round of food. Billy went for an omlet called the Romeo, while Stephen and I braved the biscuits and gravy(with vegetarian gravy). Note: Unless you are deathly hungover or extremely hungry, you will only need one biscuit, I ordered two and had to work my damndest to make it halfway through the second biscuit.

Food comes. The biscuits and gravy were presented marvelously. The vegetarian gravy has pureed veggies throughout and has a perfect balance of saltiness with a hint of carrots. The biscuits were a little drier than I am used to, but with the generous portion of gravy you get it is a small problem easily solved. Billy's omlet was gigantic. I forgot to ask how many eggs were in it, I would not have been suprised if our waitress had said five. It was stuffed with sausage, peppers, and onions. Hmmmm......

So, needless to say, this place comes highly rated as far as breakfast places go in my book. They are also open for lunch and dinner and have a full bar(in case your answer to a hangover is a bloody mary). Go, go, go.

Gravy

3957 North Mississippi Avenue

Portland, OR

I live quite close to Gravy and have been going there for awhile--it's definitely one of my favorite breakfast spots. Another thing I love about Gravy, at lunch or dinnertime, is their gravy fries: thin, crispy fries in a soup cup that has an inch of (meat) gravy at the bottom. The bottoms of the fries get a bit mooshy in the hot, thick gravy. It's a yummy, crispy twist on mashed potatoes and gravy. :smile:

"There is no worse taste in the mouth than chocolate and cigarettes. Second would be tuna and peppermint. I've combined everything, so I know."

--Augusten Burroughs

Welcome and enjoy working at and around the best coffee in the world, Stumptown!!!!! Duane employs several of our friends.

Gravy was really fantastic last time around--we have been there thrice for breakfast and once, my omelet was awful. It was falling apart, overstuffed and swimming in a vat of bacon and cheddar cheese grease. AWFUL. But the other times were great and the fries are indeed, AWESOME. The space is great though but I wish they would change the paintings on the wall--they are disturbing to me!

Just some weird elongated cartoon looking figures..my fiance loves em, but they always make me snarl.

The food could be better, but Pasta Bangs across the street is such a great idea (employ foster and street kids for 3-4 months to teach them how to work in a functioning busy restaurant and to get resume fodder), that I have to support them whenever possible. The coctails are great though!

I've only eaten there once but it was bad enough I wouldn't go back. Their "gravy" is unlike any I've had and I feel if you're going to use a strong flavor and use a ton of fennel seeds in your gravy, that information should be listed on the menu so people have a clue. :sad:

Pamela Wilkinson

www.portlandfood.org

Life is a rush into the unknown. You can duck down and hope nothing hits you, or you can stand tall, show it your teeth and say "Dish it up, Baby, and don't skimp on the jalapeños."

Yeah. That's what I said when I took my first bite. It was like "You call this gravy? What's up with the fennel seeds? Yuck!" I think it's a little irresponsible not to say anything about it on the menu.

Pamela Wilkinson

www.portlandfood.org

Life is a rush into the unknown. You can duck down and hope nothing hits you, or you can stand tall, show it your teeth and say "Dish it up, Baby, and don't skimp on the jalapeños."

In this case, it would be the anti-fennel-in-American-style-gravy-parade...

but don't let that stop you from posting reviews of places you try, I'm always happy to read about people eating in pdx, even if I don't want fennel seeds (or carrots) in my gravy.

regards,

trillium

There was a ton in mine. Was there an old enemy in the kitchen that knew of my dislike for fennel seeds? Who knows. But it was intense enough to keep me from going back. That and the fact that it's not a place to get in and out of quickly on a lunch hour. You should plan on a leisurely meal if you're going there.

Pamela Wilkinson

www.portlandfood.org