• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Andy's Diner....

Ok, this is long, I know...but a great cautionary tale...

The wife (Amber) got her first full paycheck and wanted to take me out to dinner. It was going to be a surprise, but I figured out it was Andy's Diner.

I'm an absolute diner whore, and I have been dying to go there, so I was really stoked.

We drive in....and there is one, one other car in the lot. "Well, it must be early" we said.

Get in. Hostess, (who turns out to be our waitress, let's call her Flo) waits until I clear my throat (we're 3 feet away from her) to curtly tell us that she'll "be right there".

Um, ok.

Bartender comes out of the bar getting ice, sees us standing there, and gets us into a seat. We notice that the tables on the other side of the aisle have cool railroady type stuff on them, so we move over....onto a table that, while cleared, has not been wiped.

Flo is non existent, so we get napkins and wipe off the table. We're having a good time otherwise, the place looked clean, and hey, its cool old railroad cars.

We peruse the menu, and its basically what I expected. Amber ordered the Fried Chicken, (said that she hoped it wasn't the orange looking kind....turned out it was.) and I got prime rib. We also ordered some onion rings as an appetizer.

Rings come, they are fine. Meal comes. I ask for some horseradish, and get some pretty vile stuff, it was more sour then hot. The meat was barely warm, and not the medium rare that I had requested. The sauteed broco-carrot-ini was thrown around a hot pan with some harsh assed garlic from a jar.

The real ringer, though, was Amber's chicken. About 2 bites into it, she put it down and said it was cold. Not only was it cold, bleeding. Freely. we called the Flo over and asked if we could get a new piece. She took it no problem, and then we heard her tell the cook to "just cook it more".

:blink:

We look at each other and don't want to beleive our ears. About 5 minutes later, she comes back.

With the same piece of chicken.

Which now, courtesy of its second bath in the deep fryer, resembles one of pigs ears that we give the dog. She puts it down with a bright "there you go!" and disappears. We decide a couple of things: We're not paying for that dish, and dessert will be at Krispy Kreme. After about 10 minutes, Flo comes back. We ask to speak with a manager, and she informs us that there isn't one on duty but she can help us. We tell her that we were expecting a new piece of chicken and and that this thing that was on the plate wasn't gonna cut it. She caught the hint, and asked us, in what is probably the greatest restaurant line I will ever hear, worthy of a new entry on my signature line....

"So, do you want me to compromise your meal for you?" :laugh:

Ah, Flo....We both thought that the meal was quite compromised enough already.

We got the check and got the hell out of there.

What's so bad is that place looks like it has everything it needs to be a pretty decent diner, and looks like it could handle a fair amount of business. It may very well be a decent place for breakfast...(if you are hungover....) but I couldn't recommend it for dinner to my worst enemy.

"So, do you want me to compromise your meal for you?" - Waitress at Andy's Diner, Dec 4th, 2004.

The Fat Boy Guzzle --- 1/2 oz each Jack Daniels, Wild Turkey, Southern Comfort, Absolut Citron over ice in a pint glass, squeeze 1/2 a lemon and top with 7-up...Credit to the Bar Manager at the LA Cafe in Hong Kong who created it for me on my hire. Thanks, Byron. Hope you are well!

http://bloatitup.com

You know, I had been told for years that Andy's was the place to go, and when I finally went, i had pretty much the same experience you did, except that when I was there, it was fairly crowded, and the burger I ordered turned into a cheeseburger, and when I sent it back, it returned with the cheese scraped off (and anyone who knows, you can't scrape melted American Cheese off anything, especialy a burger and bun.

I also thought the place was pretty dirty. I guess the place caters to the truckers and local blue collar lunch crowd, M's fans looking for a pregame lunch, or people looking for a place where they can eat and smoke and get a stiff drink at the same time, (and aparently a lot of groups have meetings there).

I guess the lesson if you eat in a restaurant that is inside a bunch of old railcars, you are either going to get an old dive like Andy's, or an overpriced (and over cheery) theme restaurant.

"Homer, he's out of control. He gave me a bad review. So my friend put a horse head on the bed. He ate the head and gave it a bad review! True Story." Luigi, The Simpsons

There's some old diner in a really nice railroad car in Spokane. Anyone know the name? It's much nicer than Andy's. I have been to Andy's a few times for the train car novelty of it (husband likes it, luckily only up to a point) when I was craving a iceberg lettuce salad with Thousand Island dressing and Saltines. What can I say. I was born in the 60s.

"Save Donald Duck and Fuck Wolfgang Puck."

-- State Senator John Burton, joking about

how the bill to ban production of foie gras in

California was summarized for signing by

Gov. Schwarzenegger.

There's some old diner in a really nice railroad car in Spokane.  Anyone know the name?  It's much nicer than Andy's.  I have been to Andy's a few times for the train car novelty of it (husband likes it, luckily only up to a point) when I was craving a iceberg lettuce salad with Thousand Island dressing and Saltines.  What can I say.  I was born in the 60s.

It use to be the Depot restaurant. It was the first restaurant my parents and I went to when we moved from LA to Spokane, I was 6. My parents were told there would be a wait so we proceeded into the bar where I ordered a Shirly Temple. The bartender freaked out that my parents had brought me in and gave them a big lecture on WA state liquor laws! haha!

Anyway as of 3 years ago it was still open, more of a diner than the nice restuarant it once tried to be. Great drinks! My dad lived behind it until he passed away. Strange and fitting! haha!

ok, that was a really long answer, sorry about that! It's called the Depot on Sprauge in the valley.

or people looking for a place where they can eat and smoke and get a stiff drink at the same time

My father loves Andy's Diner and I think this is why. Even though he doesn't smoke any more, I think he still prefers to be in this type of environment.

Me, I go when I am craving a good patty melt or french dip sandwich.

Practice Random Acts of Toasting

Speaking of dives, has anyone ever been to the Turf restaurant (on 2nd and Pike downtown)?  I walk past it fairly often but I'm too scared to go in :)

I walk by when I go down to the Market during the noon hour. Haven't been tempted but I have been tempted by the wafting aromas from the terayaki place on the corner. But for certain places, a recommendation from drunken Heinz is not enough. :smile:

Sacred cows make the best hamburger.

- Mark Twain, 1835 - 1910

deja vu!

we ate at andy's last year, and ordered the same items,with the same results!! howver, our fried chicken was merely cold in the center, as it had been previously cooked, and redunked into the fryer!

anyone want my Entertainment coupon for this place?

Andy's hasn't been the same since the Nagy (sp) family got out of it.

The one on 4th - 30 years ago - used to be quite the hang-out for off duty cops, firemen, postal workers from 4th and Lander, a pretty rancious crowd.

Food was good and it ran like a diner. Oh my, the smoking and CCs and 7 that went down there. It was the Southend's Dog House and Rendezvous all in one; maybe the food was a little better.

Then the Nagys opened up an upscale Andy's in Tukwilla; new cars, clean and a different clientele. Next they franchised the concept. When n the father died it all started going down hill.

I have't been to the one on 4th in years. But the last time - which was the last time - was quite sad.

Dave

Laurel and Killiki ----

In re: the Turf.....

That sounds dangerously like a dare.... :raz::cool:

"So, do you want me to compromise your meal for you?" - Waitress at Andy's Diner, Dec 4th, 2004.

The Fat Boy Guzzle --- 1/2 oz each Jack Daniels, Wild Turkey, Southern Comfort, Absolut Citron over ice in a pint glass, squeeze 1/2 a lemon and top with 7-up...Credit to the Bar Manager at the LA Cafe in Hong Kong who created it for me on my hire. Thanks, Byron. Hope you are well!

i've eaten at the turf. i've had drinks at the turf, hell - i've been drunk at the turf. i have been propositioned at the turf, i've been offered drugs at the turf and, on one memorable visit, bought a cocktail ring off some shady dude at the turf.

in short, the turf is sketchy but worth a visit. i have not been to the "new" turf (the old spot was on pike as well, but across the street and closer to first ave.). the "new" turf always reminds me of the exciting day downtown that the seattle police had a stand off with a man brandishing a broad sword. i worked at a record company up the street and we spent a good part of the afternoon watching the police yell at the sword guy. why they never threw a net over him, ala scooby doo, i'll never know.

downtown used to be littered with dive bars and visiting them in my early 20's was the norm. they were always packed with characters, a slight hint of danger, and insanely strong drinks. it breaks my heart that all those joints have been shut down: the gay 90's, the old rendezvous, that place across from the court house where you could play shuffleboard while waiting for someone to post bail, steve's broiler....to name but a few. and abruzzi's pizzeria, the perfect spot to soak up some of that booze!

i'm all for progress but downtown seattle could be any city, USA. directions are virtually the same everywhere ("go a block past the gap, turn by nike town, it's near pottery barn..."). there are numerous places to get a mojito or a cosmopolitan yet i can't think of anywhere in the downtown retail core that an old timer can belly up to the bar and order a bourbon and milk.

except for the turf.

lemony

I used to drink (not eat) at places like the old Rendezvous occasionally, too, but from the outside it looks like the Turf is in a whole 'nother category. But since I've never been in, I guess I don't really know.

Edited by kiliki (log)

Whats that...a Moo-r-bon?

or maybe a bourmilk? :raz:

I live in Port Townsend......the Nifty Fifties is a cute little place. Clean, diner-themed kind of joint. The people who own it also run the mexican place, El Sarape across the street.

My favorite fifties diner though, is the place that's off of Steven's Pass. I think it's Steven's

Pass.......can't remember the exact name of it, but it's great. I love to order the tower

of onion rings!

Anyone remember the "Dog House?" It's now the Hurricane I think. In downtown Seattle.

I loved the "Dog House". Same guy playing a cheesy keyboard in the bar every night.

Pull tabs at the cash register. Surly but kind waitresses. A menu that warned in small

print that the ribeye's "tenderness not guaranteed". Talk about atmosphere! God I loved

that place.

:smile:

Speaking of dives, has anyone ever been to the Turf restaurant (on 2nd and Pike downtown)?  I walk past it fairly often but I'm too scared to go in :)

I've lived right around the corner from there for the last few years and also haven't been in yet. Mostly because I keep forgetting.

We could... make it a group thing. Anyone else game?

Pat

"I... like... FOOD!" -Red Valkyrie, Gauntlet Legends-

Ahhh...The Dog House...The only place where I have ever passed out face first into a burger...I still miss it.

White Redneck, indeed... :laugh::laugh::laugh: ! HA!

Mondays are good for me...I think it would be safer during the day, myself... :unsure:

Jason

Mondays are good for me...I think it would be safer during the day, myself... :unsure:

Jason

Hehehe only Fay Jai and I will brave The Turf, it seems. Alright, Monday lunch? We can go in there all Asian Mafia style! :laugh:

I'll photo the food too...

Pat

Edited by Sleepy_Dragon (log)

"I... like... FOOD!" -Red Valkyrie, Gauntlet Legends-

BTW...I ahve it on semi good authority that when bourbon hits milk, the milk curdles....instantly.

Apparently this drink is called a Cement Mixer...due to the rather lumpy consistency that occurs...

Anyone gonna order it? :raz: