• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Vancouver Cheese Shops (Merged)

I have to agree with you, I was in Italy for a month and the Italians do many things well, but for some strange reason, they don't do the best bread or cornetto.

Since my return I have never tasted a Pecorino here that is even close to what I had in Pienza, but recently local artisans such as Moonstruck and Poplar Grove have opened my mind to "New World" cheeses.

BTW if you gonna to be a "Snob" at least use the proper name with the correct spelling, ie Parmigiano Reggiano.

Ouch! Parmegiano Reggiano. I'm not advocating going to Italy for your cheese, just try it from a place that buys whole wheels, cuts them regularly and then wraps them in plastic wrap. I love Poplar Grove Tiger Blue BTW.

Edited by Coop (log)

David Cooper

"I'm no friggin genius". Rob Dibble

http://www.starlinebyirion.com/

I find that the Parmessan Reggiano that is cryovaced (like the Costco stuff) soon looses that ethereal flavour the cheese is known for. Instead it ends up tasting like the plastic it comes in. For me, I like it cut from the wheel in the same postal code it's sold in, and then wrapped in plastic wrap and turned over quickly.

Coop, please don't misunderstand me. I don't buy all my cheese at Costco. Just some ... like the Notre Dame Camembert and the Chevre where Costco charges the same price for twice as much cheese!

Re: storage of cheese. Great thread on that subject here.

BTW if you gonna to be a "Snob" at least use the proper name with the correct spelling, ie Parmigiano Reggiano.

BURN!!!

:laugh:

A.

Don't think any less of me for this, but ....

Does anyone get cheese from Costco?  Especially this time of year, I find their selection to be quite good.  Especially in the brie/camembert/chevre department. 

I have faithfully purchased Brie/Camembert and Balderson 3 year old ( our everyday cheddar, I prefer it to 5 year old) from Costco for years. I have no shame about standing in front of the cheese cooler squeezing rounds of Brie or Camembert to find nice "gooshy" ones.

As for chevre - Save On Meats usually has it for stupidly low prices, perfect for cooking or salads, but my penchant for Downtown Eastside Butchers is well documented elsewhere.

Parmegiano and Romano I use sparingly so small quantities are usually purchased on Granville Island or at Les Amis.

''Wine is a beverage to enjoy with your meal, with good conversation, if it's too expensive all you talk about is the wine.'' Bill Bowers - The Captain's Tavern, Miami

Ouch! Parmegiano Reggiano. I'm not advocating going to Italy for your cheese, just try it from a place that buys whole wheels, cuts them regularly and then wraps them in plastic wrap. I love Poplar Grove Tiger Blue BTW.

I wholeheartedly second the vote for Poplar Grove's Tiger Blue!

This is a sad state of affair that with our population, we can't name 5 cheese shops without Costco being one of them. Carry on if you don't see anything wrong with this picture. If this is troubling to you then buy from small local producers and purveyors. Don't worry you won't put Costco out of business. If you see me shopping at Costco, I'm just doing research.

BTW parmessan needs to come from Italy, not Alberta. Like Champagne needs to come from.....Champagne.

BTW Parmigiano Reggiano is not only a type of cheese but it has to be from a specific region of Italy. To say "parmessan needs to come from Italy" is redundant, same for Champagne, produced anywhere else is just sparkling wine. Then again some people like fake Rolexes.

We just received a 1/4 wheel of LEONI - GRANA, 100% natural traditional hand made parmesan cheese

I have tried this cheese and have found it wonderful. Yes it is not from Italy, but it is a very acceptable cheese that I have currently in my fridge and use regularily.

I know this is off topic, but I thought I would put in my 2 cents worth as I have never seen this cheese mentioned on egullet before.

Life is short, eat dessert first

This is a sad state of affair that with our population, we can't name 5 cheese shops without Costco being one of them. Carry on if you don't see anything wrong with this picture. If this is troubling to you then buy from small local producers and purveyors. Don't worry you won't put Costco out of business. If you see me shopping at Costco, I'm just doing research.

BTW parmessan needs to come from Italy, not Alberta. Like Champagne needs to come from.....Champagne.
BTW Parmigiano Reggiano is not only a type of cheese but it has to be from a specific region of Italy. To say "parmessan needs to come from Italy" is redundant, same for Champagne, produced anywhere else is just sparkling wine. Then again some people like fake Rolexes

I would like to know what difference it makes where you buy your cheese?

Canada is a highly regulated and controlled when it come to Dairy products; cheese is a dairy product, even if you sell cheese to another Province it is considered a Export, or to put it another way if I am a cheese producer in Quebec I will need an export license to sell my cheese to the rest of Canada.

This is the law for all Provinces and this procedure follows suit for all food commodities in Canada, this country you can not breathe without them knowing.

So I see what little difference it makes if you buy your cheese from a cheese shop or from Costco except if your intentions are to support small business.

One thing is that, small independent cheese producers, most of the time, do not make it out of the province they are in. In Canada it is easier to get cheese from world sources then it is to get small producer cheeses to other provinces, because if they can afford a fed inspector they generally have become a big producer and can not be bothered to produce small scale and high quality cheeses.

Quebec is Canada’s biggest cheese producer; the biggest irony in Canada is Quebec had organic cheese in BC before the Provincial Government allowed BC’s sectors of the dairy industry to use the word organic on their cheese.

There is something ethically and legally wrong with this. We do not even have free trade within our own Province.

So for me it is very irrelevant that I get my cheese from Costco or anywhere, it is about where can I get the best deal or where can I get my cheese period. Meaning who is going to have it???

steve

Cook To Live; Live To Cook

I would like to know what difference it makes where you buy your cheese?

I think phoodfan was distressed about the lack of distributors for local cheese, and the fact that a big box like Costco was taking away from the business that places like Amis du Fromages surely deserve. How'd I do? :rolleyes:

One thing is that, small independent cheese producers, most of the time, do not make it out of the province they are in.  In Canada it is easier to get cheese from world sources then it is to get small producer cheeses to other provinces

A real shame too. Good info stovetop ... thanks!

You've also got me thinking about local cheeses. I purchase a lot from the Farmer's Markets ... Moonstruck, Saltspring and others. placebo (of the Pacific Northwest Forum) has been hosting the latest foodblog which is all about cheese. He's an assistant at Beecher's Cheese in Pike Place.

My question is this ... why don't we have a place like Beechers? We have several artisan cheese makers but are only able to buy it in specialty shops (or perhaps Whole Foods - I haven't checked).

A.

The topic is Local Cheese Shops for a "Cheese Freak" from Langley. I think even people in Langley have heard of Costco.

Here is the list of cheesy places as compiled by Vancouver Magazine

The subjects of Globalization and Americanization are beyond the scope of this discussion. It should not be attempted without at least a few bottles of good ethnic wine and artensenal cheeses.

V

Careful what you wish for Arne. The cheeses I have had from Beecher's (there Quark type and a more solid cheese) were much like the bread from Cob's. More like a super market cheese then sonething like the cheeses from Poplar Grove or Salt Spring. This may be because of the newness of the business. I hope they have an ageing program in place.

David Cooper

"I'm no friggin genius". Rob Dibble

http://www.starlinebyirion.com/

• 3 weeks later...

I go to la Grotta di Formagio, 2 doors down from the N.W corner of Commercial and 2nd in Vancouver. Different types of Parmagiano boconcelli(sp) a good selection. Also a shedload of Italian deli goodies, olives etc. The staff is very helpful.

Baconburner

Hey

This is my first posting - so be nice. This site has become somewhat of obession for me.

Just a heads up on what I think is a REALLY good cheese. Whole Foods in WV has in stock Vacherin Mont D'Or - all soft and oozy and raw milk goodness. I think that this is a pretty difficult cheese to find (though I suspect that Les Amis probably has it). Neither Forster's on 41st or the Cheese Shoppe in WV had it and said it was not available. I have only had it in HK and the Napa Valley - even in San Francisco it was very hard to get.

It is a seasonal cheese and I don't think that Whole Foods knows how to sell them. I think that they have a number of rounds (at $26 a pop) and the cheese person said that she would be selling them for maybe another 1 or 2 weeks before chucking them. I have already gone three rounds of them.

It is one of my favorite soft cheeses and the seasonality of the product really makes it something to look forward to.

Many thanks

Hey

This is my first posting - so be nice.  This site has become somewhat of obession for me.

Just a heads up on what I think is a REALLY good cheese.  Whole Foods in WV has in stock Vacherin Mont D'Or - all soft and oozy and raw milk goodness.  I think that this is a pretty difficult cheese to find (though I suspect that Les Amis probably has it). 

We've seen you lurking ... what took you so long? :biggrin: And starting your addiction by posting about cheese is an excellent start!

Yes Amis does stock the Mont d'Or Website is here. and they have it in stock right now ... or last I checked.

A.

Edited by Daddy-A (log)

FYI - if you love Mont D'or as we do - Les Amis takes orders in the late fall every year to make sure that you get what you want once it comes in. 

Mont D'or is The Cheese Of The Gods  :biggrin:

Thanks for the head up - I will definitely keep this in mind. I am always willing to support a local supplier first - much as I really like Whole Foods. Or Whole Paycheck as it is known in SF.

I went a little crazy with my posts yesterday. This site is addictive because you guys are great - smart and opinionated. I am sure that I will breach protocol being a newbie and all - so I thank you for your patience in advance.

So now that you have dipped your toe in the water, so to speak, why don't you meet us in person? Join us at the West DOV event on January 23. We are a fun bunch and the forum is even more enjoyable once you meet the group. Hope you can make it - it will be another Big Night to Remember.

Cheers,

Karole

It is a seasonal cheese and I don't think that Whole Foods knows how to sell them.  I think that they have a number of rounds (at $26 a pop) and the cheese person said that she would be selling them for maybe another 1 or 2 weeks before chucking them.  I have already gone three rounds of them.

What makes you think Whole Foods don't know how to sell them ?

Just curious as my experiences with Whole Foods in general have been that they tend to be very knowledgeable about whatever they sell.

''Wine is a beverage to enjoy with your meal, with good conversation, if it's too expensive all you talk about is the wine.'' Bill Bowers - The Captain's Tavern, Miami

It is a seasonal cheese and I don't think that Whole Foods knows how to sell them.  I think that they have a number of rounds (at $26 a pop) and the cheese person said that she would be selling them for maybe another 1 or 2 weeks before chucking them.  I have already gone three rounds of them.

What makes you think Whole Foods don't know how to sell them ?

Just curious as my experiences with Whole Foods in general have been that they tend to be very knowledgeable about whatever they sell.

Maybe it was late in the day - but when I spoke to the Cheese counter person about how excited I was about this aparent find she said alot of people did not know about the cheese. The customers who picked it up generally were people who already knew about difficult it was to get. There were about 10-15 rounds of cheese sitting around with very little fanfare or information.

That being said - I agree that the Whole Foods staff tends to very good and pro-active in explaining their products. I read in a Fast Company article about how the stores are run with a lot of employee autonomy and they are rewarded by providing strong customer service and creative solutions. The prices at the end of the day are not too bad (though organic chicken prices - no matter where you go, always leave me gasping) and they treat there staff well - so it seems like a win win situation.

So now that you have dipped your toe in the water, so to speak, why don't you meet us in person? Join us at the West DOV event  on January 23. We are a fun bunch and the forum is even more enjoyable once you meet the group. Hope you can make it - it will be another Big Night to Remember.

I will keep it in mind - but I am bit of a fraidy cat. The invitation is very much appreciated and I hope to attend an egullet function soon.