• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Vancouver Cheese Shops (Merged)

Les Amis du Fromage (they even have fresh Buffalo Mozz from Vancouver Island).

Both of the Italian delis on Granville Island

La Grotto di Formaggio on Commercial

Check the dates on the containers as they are never as fresh as you would find in Italy, (after coming through Toronto).

Great! Thanks for the tips.

Has anyone else become addicted to Parrano? I got it on sale at Les Amis, and have found it at Whole Foods, but it's not in my cheese bible: Steve Jenkins' Cheese Primer. I THINK it's an especially old Gouda, but at this time of the night I may be hallucinating.

Paul B

More info on Parrano can be found here

Stoked,

We sell local and Italian buffalo mozzarella, as well as Burrata.

Joe

les amis

Burrata? Seriously - you would not break my heart with a joke like that would you? When do you get stock of burrata at Park Royal? I am assuming that it is the same producer of buffalo mozz.

Edited by canucklehead (log)

We sell local and Italian buffalo mozzarella, as well as Burrata.

Joe

les amis

Burrata? Seriously - you would not break my heart with a joke like that would you? When do you get stock of burrata at Park Royal? I am assuming that it is the same producer of buffalo mozz.

I usually have it at PR, but it does run out. I'll have to check if it is the same producer.

For my taste, I like it better than the mozzarella. It's as much a texture thing as it is a flavor thing for me. Some local heirloom tomatoes, a teeny bit of shaved vidallia onion, olive oil and perhaps a squeeze of lemon...dash of salt-pepper-basil...mmm. We're all eating the last of the good tomato salads now.

So early - I think of Mont d'Or Vacherin as a Christmas sort of thing - or is this a different kind of cheese?

The Mont d'Or is from France, where the Vacherin Mont d'Or is from Switzerland. Allison is not sure if the Swiss ones will be available to us this year. But she has managed to secure some French ones. They are both made in the same style, and the taste is very similiar. Both are excellent. The French ones we have are unpasteurized. In europe you can see it as early as sept/oct and it may be available as late as March.

Edited by jchaput (log)

• 3 weeks later...

For my taste, I like it better than the mozzarella. It's as much a texture thing as it is a flavor thing for me. Some local heirloom tomatoes, a teeny bit of shaved vidallia onion, olive oil and perhaps a squeeze of lemon...dash of salt-pepper-basil...mmm. We're all eating the last of the good tomato salads now.

I bought some of Les amis' Burata specifically to try this recipe, from the local paper. I didnt include the onion but did use some leaves of basil from my garden. Cheese heaven.

• 1 month later...

Has anyone tried the Dubliner and Coastal cheddar from Costco?

I've been very impressed with both these cheeses. The Dubliner has a phenomenal nuttiness to it and makes a fantastic welsh rarebit, while the Coastal is a classic aged cheddar which seems to have a little something special to it; much as I like the bite of Baldersons' aged cheddars, the Coastal has a unique flavour element that I can only describe as "English". And the price on both is very reasonable.

I've had the Dubliner, it is not bad at all and makes a very good addition to an impromptu cheese plate.  Diapers and cheese, between the two it's pretty easy to recover your annual membership fee.

For Diapers and Cheese, you'd be looking for the Port Salut.

Costco ROCKS this time of year for certain cheeses (sorry Joe :huh: ) ... the above mentioned cheddars (not a fan of the Balderson cheeses myself), Ste Andre, Port Salut and Cambozola are really well priced. There are also a couple bries and camemberts they carry year round, but the Ste Andre more than satisfies my need for soft rinded cheeses from the big box.

Outside of that, everything else is coming from Les Amis and Choux Choux (Victoria) for our Christmas cheese plate.

A.

I've had the Dubliner, it is not bad at all and makes a very good addition to an impromptu cheese plate.  Diapers and cheese, between the two it's pretty easy to recover your annual membership fee.

For Diapers and Cheese, you'd be looking for the Port Salut.

Costco ROCKS this time of year for certain cheeses (sorry Joe :huh: ) ... the above mentioned cheddars (not a fan of the Balderson cheeses myself), Ste Andre, Port Salut and Cambozola are really well priced. There are also a couple bries and camemberts they carry year round, but the Ste Andre more than satisfies my need for soft rinded cheeses from the big box.

Outside of that, everything else is coming from Les Amis and Choux Choux (Victoria) for our Christmas cheese plate.

A.

I didn't go back to the beginning of this thread so I may be repeating, but for Italian cheeses, I really like La Grotta on Commercial and 3rdish. That's not all they carry but they're really strong on the formaggio. Having said that, no one can beat Les Amis for overall selection and outstanding service. Last weekend I placed my order for our Boxing Day wine and cheese with much assistance and attention to detail. Can't wait for the 21st to pick it all up. And they have chic insulated carry bags available for $5 to take your cheese home in and reuse for shopping etc. I'm putting my mum's Christmas present inside one this year. The enviro theme continues as Les Amis is planning to do away with all plastic in the new year, I hear.

I made a bit of a cheese run at Les Amis today - looking for a good chedder to accompany some home made chutney (settled on the dubliner) - and lo! they had Mont D'Or Vacherin in! One of my favorite annual holiday treats. I was afraid I would miss it this year because I am travelling for most of the holidays. Hurrah!

The enviro theme continues as Les Amis is planning to do away with all plastic in the new year, I hear.

but what will I carry my olives home in then? Guess it will be my mouth?

The plan is to eliminate plastic shopping bags. We haven't found an ideal alternative. Ideally, we'd like something made locally. If anyone has any suggestions, please PM me.

Anyone know where they sell "coeur de lion" brand of camembert in Vancoouver? I used to eat it all the time when I was in France but i can't seem to find it here. It's not the best camembert but it brings back a lot of memories.  :raz:

gallery_16561_3734_44657.jpg

When ripe, this is the world's STINKIEST camembert. This cheese pictured above spent a couple days in our backpack as we wandered the GR through the Dordogne. By the time we were in Les Eyzies de Tayac, we had to keep the cheese on the window ledge outside our hotel room, it was that ripe.

Having said that, it's AWESOME.

On a related note, Saturday night we devoured the Epoisses we picked up from Allison. That, and the port soaked Colton Basset which was much much better than I'd had in years past. (Joe, did you guys do anything different with it this year?) Our friends were very grateful.

A.

Les amis du fromage has been lucky enough to receive a few wheels of raw milk French Mont d'Or.  Very limited supply.  I don't think it will last the weekend.

Picked mine up in the first week in December (mind you, I was on a reservation list). It is good until first wek in January, so will be superb for Xmas and NY's

But having returned to Vancouver after 20 year s in London, can anyone tell me my cheese (especially Canadian) is so flipping expensive in BC? I mean it is just rediculously expensive.