• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Italian Brandy Help...

Ore

Ciao,

I was gifted a bottle of brandy last night by a very generous, new, restaurant owner near Avellino (in a town called Montefalcione). The bottle is of Brandy Avellino and from what I know - is made in a school of fermentation sciences or the such.

Here are a few pictures to help the ID.

They say the bottle is very rare - there is no date on it - what you see is what you get. I noticed that in the bottom of the bottle - there seems to be "stuff" sitting down there...what is it? A good or bad sign??

Grazie,

Ore

The pics...

gallery_19487_64_1102633588.jpg

The label - made in Salerno?

gallery_19487_64_1102633400.jpg

This is the 'tax' label ( I think) - My bottle is number 107?

gallery_19487_64_1102633306.jpg

The whole bottle view

gallery_19487_64_1102633257.jpg

Another label shot

Ciao

damn - i guess this really is a small production since it isn't well known here on eG.

Ore,

I've just seen your enquiry now. I have little idea if the bottle is rare or if it has a particular value, in a collectors view. It is made by the Avellino Wine School (Salerno is where the production licence was approved) and probably produced in very small amounts.

I'm not familiar with this brandy, but if it is of the same quality of the school's wines . . . let's just say I would not open it if you wanted to positively impress a brandy aficionado.

Il Forno: eating, drinking, baking... mostly side effect free. Italian food from an Italian kitchen.

Ciao Ore, ciao albiston.

If the bottle has a sediment, probably it hasn't been filtered (a good thing). The tax stripe (no, it's not that your bottle is n°107 but only a UTIF code) should say if your brandy is "invecchiato meno di un anno", "da due a tre anni" o "più di tre anni". The bottle is 70cl and not 75cl so it's quite recent, don't know about the Scuola Enologica di Avellino... :unsure:

I generally avoid domestic brandies; Poli makes quite a decent one in the vanilla-y style, though.

Saluti,

Alberto

Edited by Alberto (log)