• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Perigee - The Menu with pix

GordonCooks

I'm sure by now you get the impression I throughly enjoy visiting this restaurant. Here's the menu provided by the restaurant. Rather than wax poetic once again - I'll field any questions you may have.

MENU

SATURDAY, DECEMBER 4, 2004

Bread Plate

SESAME CRUSTED ARMENIAN FLAT BREAD, CAMPAGNA LOAF, SICILIAN ROLLS, HOUSE CHURNED BUTTER, OLIVE OIL AND JERUSELEM ARTICHOKE AND SHITAKE MUSHROOM SPREAD

bread.jpg

Amuse

GRILLED ABALONE AND SEA SNAIL SHISH KEBOB ALONG SIDE CANADIAN ABATIBI CAVIAR ON CAULIFLOWER MOUSSE WITH CRUSHED TOASTED ALMONDS IN PHYLLO CUP

amuse1.jpg

~

CROQUETTE OF MARYLAND BLUE CRAB AND GRILLED CORN ON AVOCADO SALAD ALONG SIDE BRAISED EEL STEW

amuse2.jpg

First Course

CUMIN DUSTED ROAST FILLET OF MONKFISH ON A RAGU OF QUOHOG CLAMS, WHITE ASPARAGUS AND CRISP POTATOES IN CHARMOULA BUTTER

MORGAN, SAUVIGNON BLANC, MONTEREY COUNTY, CALIFORNIA, U.S.A. 2002

c1.jpg

~

WINTER / SUMMER CAROLINA BLACK BASS:

1) CEVICHE OF BLACK BASS ON SAUTEED SPINACH WITH PASSION FRUIT MARINADE, ROAST GARLIC, SPINACH AND CORRIANDER 2) ROAST FILLET OF BLACK BASS ON SAUTEED SPINACH, CORRIANDER AND ROAST GARLIC WITH PASSION FRUIT BEURRE BLANC

ST. URBANS-HOF, PIESPORTER GOLDTRÖPFCHEN, RIESLING KABINET, MOSEL SAAR RUWER, GERMANY 2003

c1a.jpg

Second Course

BUTTER POACHED NOVA SCOTIA LOBSTER ON A CREAMED LEEK, VACHERON AND COGNAC FONDUE WITH CHERVIL AND ROAST MUSTARD SEED CROQUANT

OLIVER LEFLAIVE, SAINT-AUBIN 1ER CRU, FRANCE 2000

c2.jpg

~

PETHIVIER OF DUNGENESS CRAB WITH RADISH SALAD AND CHIVE VERMOUTH CREAM

ADELSHEIM VINEYARD, CHARDONNAY, NEWBERG, OREGON, U.S.A. 2001

c2a.jpg

Third Course

“LUNCH PLATE” SOUP OF MUSHROOM BROTH WITH ROAST WILD MUSHROOMS ON PARMESAN AND ONION CUSTARD. SALAD OF DUCK PROSCUITTO, PINEAPPLE AND RADISH SPROUTS. SANDWICH OF GUINEA HEN BALLOTINE BETWEEN TOASTED BRIOCHE WITH CRAB APPLE BUTTER

WHALE HAVEN, PINOT NOIR, EGLIN, SOUTH AFRICA 1999

c3.jpg

~

BRAISED SWEETBREAD SMALL PIE WITH ROAST APPLES AND AMBER TURNIPS ON WILTED BRUSSEL SPROUT LEAVES WITRH BLACK PEPPER JUS

HENRIQUES & HENRIQUES, 5 YEAR OLD, MADIERA, PORTUGAL

c3a.jpg

Fourth Course

THINLY SLICED CORNED VEAL TONGUE WITH MIZUNA LETTUCE WRAPPED AROUND BRAISED VEAL CHEEKS IN A SAUCE CHARCUTIERRE

PIO CESARE, BARBERA D’ ALBA, ITALY 2002

c4.jpg

~

NAPOLEON OF FOIE GRAS WITH ROAST BEET, PRUNE AND WALNUT SALSA. FOIE GRAS TORCHON, SEARED AND MOUSSE LAYERED BETWEEN PHYLLO CRISPS

ROLLY GASSMANN, SYLVANER, ALSACE, FRANCE 1998

c4a.jpg

Fifth Course

SHARED OCEAN PLATTER OF 1) GRILLED OCTOPUS WITH WARM OLIVES ON CHIAPPINO SAUCE 2) LOBSTER AND SPINACH TERRINE 3) MUSSEL KIEV 4) LANGOSTINE BIQUE WITH OYSTER CRACKERS 5) JAPANESE DIVER SCALLOP ON CUCUMBER PUMPERNICKEL SALAD

CHATEAU DU COING DE SAINT-FIACRE, MUSCADET SEVRE ET MAINE, FRANCE 1999

c5.jpg

Intermezzos

LIME TEQUILA GRANITE WITH CORN NUT CRACKER

c6a.jpg

~

OLIVE OIL SORBET WITH PRESERVED LEMON, CANDIED LEMON AND LEMONCELLO

c6.jpg

First Main Course

TAMARIND BARBEQUED BEEF ON BRAISED SHORT RIBS WITH SANCOCHO CONSOMME AND ROOT VEGTABLE RAVIOLO

CHATEAU JURA-PLAISANCE, SAINT-EMILLION, FRANCE 1998

c7.jpg

~

BRAISED WILD BOAR SHOULDER AND SMOKED HAM HOCK WITH SAUTEED SPINACH ON GRILLED ENGLISH MUFFIN WITH PICKLED PEARL ONIONS AND SMOKEY TOMATO SAUCE

ROBERT BIALE VINEYARDS, ZINFANDEL, NAPA VALLEY, CALIFORNIA, U.S.A. 2002

c7a.jpg

Second Main Course

SEARED SQUAB BREAST ON PUMKIN RAVIOLO WITH FOIE GRAS TORCHON, CRUSHED PUMPKIN SEEDS AND OXTAIL BROTH

ARCHERY SUMMIT, PINOT NOIR, DAYTON, OREGON, U.S.A. 2000

c8.jpg

~

LIGHTLY SMOKED BISON TENDERLOIN WITH A SALAD OF CRUSHED SALT CRUSTED FINGERLING POTATOES, MICRO GREENS AND GRILLED ONIONS WITH BARBEQUE SAUCE JUS

LAFOND, SYRAH, SANTA RITA HILLS, CALIFORNIA, U.S.A. 2002

c8a.jpg

Cheese Course

SHARED CHEESE PLATE: MAHON( RAW, SPANISH, SHEEP’S MILK) AND CHAROLAIS ( RAW, FRENCH, GOAT’S MILK) WITH APPLE CONFIT, BIRCH SYRUP GLAZE, VANILLA ICE CREAM AND PEPPERED MERANGUE

HENRIOT, BRUT CHAMPAGNE, FRANCE, N.V.

ST. AMBROISE, PALE ALE, QUEBEC

c9.jpg

Pre Dessert

ROSEWATER PARFAIT WITH CANDIED FENNEL AND BRANDIED MINT PESTO

c10a.jpg

~

LAVENDER SCENTED PLUM CARPACCIO WITH CANTELOPE AND HONEYDEW MELON SORBET AND SALT TUILLE

c10.jpg

Dessert

APRICOT TART TATIN WITH LIQUORICE CARAMEL, PISTACHIO CRÈME CHANTILLY AND RASPBERRY COULIS WITH TRUFFLED HONEY

ROYAL TOKAJI WINE COMPANY, 5 PUTTONYOS, TOKAJI AZSU, HUNGARY, 1999

c11.jpg

~

BRICK PASTRY PYRAMID WITH COCONUT CREAM AND SMOKED WHITE CHOCOLATE ICE CREAM, CANDIED PINEAPPLE IN CILANTRO SYRUP WITH STRAWBERRY SORBET AND SUGARED STRAWBERRIES

MICHELE CHIARLO, MOSCATO D’ASTI, ITALY, 2003

c11a.jpg

Wow! That looks awesome. I hate being a starving student. All I can do now is look and drool, which is much easier, now that I know what everything is. So did you get all these dishes, or were some given to one and not the other, and some shared? Because it looks like a lot of food.

Wow! That looks awesome. I hate being a starving student. All I can do now is look and drool, which is much easier, now that I know what everything is. So did you get all these dishes, or were some given to one and not the other, and some shared? Because it looks like a lot of food.

The tasting menu provided different courses for both us for the most part. Seeing as how I'm much bigger than my fiancee - I was able to taste her courses escaping with only minor cuts and abrasions and most of my teeth. What you see is what we ate.... :biggrin:

Rather than wax poetic once again - I'll field any questions you may have.

I have to ask: How did you eat all that food? The word "feast" doesn't seem adequate. Don't get me wrong, I have eaten some huge meals in my time, but I think I might have keeled over by the time we got to the second main course!

And another, equally impertinent question: What was the $ damage?

Can you describe your favourite 2 or 3 dishes, and what about them made them your favourites?

Lastly, was the fourth course really tongue in cheek? :laugh:

actually looks messy ....outtta control ....is this a new restaurant....Is it really good...I sometimes wonder you know...its like all over the place so much confusion...

Just the opposite - you eat with zen-like serenity. Very relaxing atmosphere - there is never a sense of urgency or waiting. Something I haven't even realized about until you brought it up.

Rather than wax poetic once again - I'll field any questions you may have.

I have to ask: How did you eat all that food? The word "feast" doesn't seem adequate. Don't get me wrong, I have eaten some huge meals in my time, but I think I might have keeled over by the time we got to the second main course!

And another, equally impertinent question: What was the $ damage?

Can you describe your favourite 2 or 3 dishes, and what about them made them your favourites?

Lastly, was the fourth course really tongue in cheek? :laugh:

The meal was paced quite well (started at 8:00 and left at 12:30) and my eyes are always larger than my stomach - where there's a will there's a way. Cost including 2 full boat tastings, wine pairings, coffee, a round of beers for the kitchen, GST, PST was a tick over 400 cdn - a bargain.

Favorites? Nothing stands head and shoulder above the others

Bread - love the jerusalem artichoke spread

The abalone and clam had great texture-

the mousse was light as air-

I love monkfish-

the ceviche of black bass was deelish-

Loved the putting bites of lobster, leek, cheese, and crunchy tuile together-

crab in puff pasrty? The puff pastry was house made and excellent. the texture was so delicate and flaky - excellent separation-

the lunch plate could be the most memorable - what an intense mushroom stock-

sweet bread pie was great but the "tongue in cheek" was Thomas Keller or Ducasse all the way.-

Foie gras - love it; the phyllo with the foie, chewy prune and walnut was great texture-

The soup in the sampler plate made me say "damn, that's good!" out loud - and yes, it was loud enough for everyone to hear.-

All the sorbets were great but the accoutrements were better - candies fennel, preserved lemon, etc

The meats were terrific - the beef, the squab, the bison, the Wild boar and ham hock!!-

Cheese? Love the cheese -

Desserts? Liqorice caramel - outstanding, along with the truffled honey & cilantro syrup

The coconut pyramid with "smoked" white chocolate was a totally new flavor for me

I'm still impressed how a meal of this magnitude and detail can go without a single misstep.

Thanks for the reply, GC.

I was looking for the restaurant's website online (It's Here if you're interested), and came across a press release for Winterlicious. On Monday, February 7th, Perigee will be doing a special 5-course "Omakase - Let the Chef Decide" dinner with wine pairings for $120 per person. Seems like a pretty good deal. Seatings are on the half-hour, starting at 5:30. I don't mean to be selfish, but I didn't want to post this until I had my reservation confirmed (which I did yesterday :wink: ). Can't wait to try it.

• 2 weeks later...

Once again an EGer has decided my vacation for me. With this review in my mind I will be going to Toronto for the first time since 1972. I'll add a review and entice someone else. I'll also try Sansur. I've done West and Trio, so I'm ready.

Captain Hongo

Once again an EGer has decided my vacation for me.  With this review in my mind I will be going to Toronto for the first time since 1972.  I'll add a review and entice someone else.  I'll also try Sansur.  I've done West and Trio, so I'm ready.

Bon Apetit"

• 4 weeks later...

OK You finally persuaded me - I went back after one of my worst dinners in 2004.

And it was better - but I'm not rushing back again.

My biggest problem is still the identical one I had on my first visit in 2004. Why ask about preferences if you are going to be served dishes that contravene the request.

A 'no cheese' request was ignored and a dish covered in melted cheese was served.

An 'anything foie gras' request was ignored but another 'no organ meats' request was served the foie gras.

Can it be coincidence that this was exactly the problem on the first visit?

BUT, in fairness, the food was generally pretty good. At times excellent. The wine choices were an improvement on the first visit, but we still found ourselves switching glasses between ourselves. Surprisingly, my favourite dishes were the beef. And this is probably my least favourite of the common meats.

Next time (if there is one) I will only go as a couple. Whenever it's four they just don't sem to be able to keep the preferences straight.