• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Dick versus Jack

And the nominations for Kyle's complete dive off of the vegetarianism high horse are:

Dick's

Burgermaster

Kidd Valley

Red Mill

Daly's

Deluxe Bar and Grill

Let the voting begin!  If you would all be so kind....

HMMMM I'm not sure I'd make Dick's your first hamburger in 5 years. I'd go higher end for the first one. For that, I would consider Palace Kitchen or Two Bells (although Two Bells doesn't do fries). Then you can start slumming it :raz:

From your list, I'd go to Red Mill or Daly's.

At Red Mill, my favorite is the one with grilled anaheim chiles and monterey jack cheese... What I like about Daly's is they do cook to order. You get your food piping hot every time.

Born Free, Now Expensive

Kidd Valley's food is VILE, I tell you! At least the one on 15th on Capitol Hill. Red Mill is better. I love Two Bells, and the burgers are good, but they come on a really hard bun that makes them very difficult to eat with your hands. I don't understand that.

"Save Donald Duck and Fuck Wolfgang Puck."

-- State Senator John Burton, joking about

how the bill to ban production of foie gras in

California was summarized for signing by

Gov. Schwarzenegger.

Kyle:

How about "(G) None of the Above."

- Dick's: It's a sentimental favorite of old Seattle, but I can't believe that anybody really goes there for a good burger; they go there for the experience.

- Burgermaster: Good, for what it is: A guilty pleasure in a retro environment. Still, it's also not a "good burger."

- Kidd Valley: Ew. I'd rather eat McDonald's, and that's saying a *lot*.

- Red Mill: Nicest of those listed (that I've tried), but it's still a typical flat, grey, Seattle-style smash-patty.

- Daly's: Never been

- Deluxe Bar and Grill: I know this is an eG favorite, but they're pre-formed food-service patties and they've got no flavor. (Caveat: I've never had their big one, but I figure if they can't get the normal cheeseburger right, I am not forking over extra cash.)

- Two Bells: It's more like a ball-of-ground-round hoagie than a burger, as I recall. And the two times we've been there, they overcooked the sh*t out of it.

I vote for Palace Kitchen: Best burger I've had in Seattle and some kickin' fries to boot. It's also made with Oregon Country natural beef, which means you don't have to worry about getting mad cow from some machine-formed Sysco patty.

Or, even better: Grind a piece of chuck at home, season liberally, don't overwork it, and cook it on the grill to medium-rare. Mmm!

~Anita

Edited by ScorchedPalate (log)

Anita Crotty travel writer & mexican-food addictwww.marriedwithdinner.com

I'm sure it's probably good, but who goes to the Palace Kitchen for a hamburger? It would be like going to Disneyland for the Tea Cups: sure it's a good ride, but if you are only going on one ride, don't you want to ride the Matterhorn?

"Homer, he's out of control. He gave me a bad review. So my friend put a horse head on the bed. He ate the head and gave it a bad review! True Story." Luigi, The Simpsons

I may be weird (my wife will attest to this) but for a good cheap burger, I enjoy Dick's Deluxe and Wendy's. Dick's winning taste for me is the combination of burger, cheese, condiments, and sauce. Wendy's strength lies in the fact that they are nearly always juicy (remember the "hot and juicy" ad campaign?) and the beef just plain tastes good to me.

Now, if I could find a good charcoal grilled burger place that's still cheap and convenient, I'd be a regular there. :hmmm:

Sacred cows make the best hamburger.

- Mark Twain, 1835 - 1910

i go to Palace for a hamburger with some frequency.  from the ex-veggie thread, sounds like others do too.

but then, i never much liked the Matterhorn. never much liked Disneyland at all, in fact.

add me to the list of Palace for a burger. Why wouldn't you? It's fun, casual, great food, great drinks! Love Palace!

Obviously i don't make as much money as most of the people on the board so when I go to Palace Kitchen (or the like) it's a special occasionand not for "a bite." I'd bet the Canlis makes a pretty good burger too.

"Homer, he's out of control. He gave me a bad review. So my friend put a horse head on the bed. He ate the head and gave it a bad review! True Story." Luigi, The Simpsons

I understand what your saying but the burger is only $11 at Palace. This is different than say Dick's or Red Mill but it's not that out of the park for a really nice burger - but your right, it's not your "down and dirty" burger joint. But it is GOOD!

I appreciate what your saying too. I go to the PK so rarely that there are too many things on the menu I want to try first before finally getting the burger. Right now my favorite burger is the Captain Neon at the Six Arms, but I wind up eating at Red Robin (U-District) more often than not because that's where my friend with the expense account likes to go. :smile:

based on elswanger's experience, i decided to try a little experiment last night.

i barely go to Dick's anymore, since i'm a big fan of ground meat i can precisely trace source on and not such a fan of fast-food burgers anymore. that said, Dick's is total i'm-being-bad food, and we were in the mood (my S.O. had never tried a Dick's burger before last night) so i hit the Dick's in Wallingford.

i ordered a Deluxe w/o cheese, a Deluxe w/ cheese, 2 hams and a fries. the special order threw a big wrench into their carefully controlled chaos, and i waited in the rain for about five minutes, but i got my order and they were about as nice as fry jockeys -- even those with benefits -- are going to be about some leather-jacketed moron messing with their mojo.

anyway, fear not: at least the Wallingford Dick's seems willing to take special orders. and if the Cap Hill Dickians give you lip, just tell 'em, "they do this over in Wallingford."

anyway, fear not: at least the Wallingford Dick's seems willing to take special orders. and if the Cap Hill Dickians give you lip, just tell 'em, "they do this over in Wallingford."

If only they could take a page out of Maccioni's book (I kid, I kid!!) :biggrin::biggrin::biggrin:

"Save Donald Duck and Fuck Wolfgang Puck."

-- State Senator John Burton, joking about

how the bill to ban production of foie gras in

California was summarized for signing by

Gov. Schwarzenegger.

I wound up going to Daly's yesterday and I thought the burger was way better than Dick's, and I didn't even have to ask to hold the cheese because they had a two patty burger w/o cheese anyways.