• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

California Chili?

annadev

What's a California chili and where can I get one? A recipe in the LATImes on line e-thing is for tamales with a red chile sauce, and it calls for a California chili (dried).

Incidentally, I live in Canada, so the "where can I get one" part could be difficult.

You can use California, New Mexico, Colorado or guajillo chiles pretty much interchangeably.

Any place in your area that stocks any type of Mexican chiles should have one of these.

...I thought I had an appetite for destruction but all I wanted was a club sandwich.

California chiles also go by the name of Anaheim chiles and others as sladeums said.

Here's a pic in case you want to see what they look like dried. Fresh, they are rather large and pointy, with only a mild bite. At least in my experience. But hotness varies in peppers a bit.

side by side pic of fresh and dried anaheim chile

I love cold Dinty Moore beef stew. It is like dog food! And I am like a dog.

--NeroW

Thank you!  Our local Mex place has guajillo chiles, and I know what Anaheim chiles are....

Be aware if you are going to use guajillos these chiles usually have tougher skins than some of the others.

If the recipe calls for you to blend them, it will also behoove you to push them through a strainer for a smoother sauce.

Does the recipe call for this?

What recipe are you trying?

Post a link to it if possible.

...I thought I had an appetite for destruction but all I wanted was a club sandwich.

I believe it's this recipe in the L.A. Times for the red pork chile sauce.

If this, in fact, the recipe you are using; then at the end of this step for making the sauce press it through a fine sieve:

3. Remove the soaked chiles from the water, reserving 2 cups of the liquid. In a food processor, blend the chiles, onions and garlic until pureéd.

You will be much more pleased with the results, especially if you have a less-than-industrial blender...

and in the next step of the recipe where it states to add "1 cup of the reserved chile liquid" -

before you do so, taste the soaking water it to see if it is bitter. If it is, use tap water or more stock instead of the soaking water; if it isn't feel free to use the soaking water.

Hope it works out for you!

I believe it's this recipe in the L.A. Times for the red pork chile sauce.

If this, in fact, the recipe you are using; then at the end of this step for making the sauce press it through a fine sieve:

3. Remove the soaked chiles from the water, reserving 2 cups of the liquid. In a food processor, blend the chiles, onions and garlic until pureéd.

You will be much more pleased with the results, especially if you have a less-than-industrial blender...

and in the next step of the recipe where it states to add "1 cup of the reserved chile liquid" -

before you do so, taste the soaking water it to see if it is bitter. If it is, use tap water or more stock instead of the soaking water; if it isn't feel free to use the soaking water.

Hope it works out for you!