• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Pannetone purveyors

I usually give a pannetone or two as holiday gifts. To date, I've bought the boxed varieties imported from Italy and on sale at Milano and other Italian stores. But I'm wondering, does anyone in town make excellent pannetone? And if not, which do you consider the best of the commercial brands? Mille grazie.

Possibly Alati Caserta could tell you, or San Marco. What I'd really love to have expert advice on is panforte. Any takers?

Good idea, Maeve, though I still harbour the hope that one of our pastry or Italian experts will come through with the skinny. Can't help on the panforte, I'm afraid.

Cavallaro, on Sherbrooke near Victoria has a HUGE selection of both.

You mean both pannetone and panforte, right, and not both commercial and artisanal pannetoni?

I don't think anyone makes Pannetone in the city I know a friend of mine that works at alati in St.Leonard "the Original owners of Alati Caserta " that makes it,but not for the public

I make it every year right about this time It takes me 3 days for the sour dough then 3 days to do The Pannetone the ingredient that were missing here in Montreal is Essenso di Pannetone =Pannetone extract to do it right .

The best or my favorite brands are Lazzerone,Maina , Tre Marie ,Loison anyone of these brands are good but the prices vary there is also a inexpensive brand called Italpasta which I'm not too crazy about but still for the price it's good.

Con il melone si mangia , beve e si lava la facia

My Nonno Vincenzo 1921-1994

I'm craving the perfct Gateau Foret Noire .

I make it every year right about this time It takes me 3 days for the sour dough then 3 days to do The Pannetone the ingredient that were missing here in Montreal is Essenso di Pannetone =Pannetone extract to do it right.

Hey, man! I'd thought about baking my own but was dissauded by your zero success rate report. Well, that and my lousy apartment oven and total failure as a pastry chef...

The best or my favorite brands are Lazzerone, Maina, Tre Marie, Loison anyone of these brands are good but the prices vary there is also a inexpensive brand called Italpasta which I'm not too crazy about but still for the price it's good.

The Lazzerone and Tre Marie are two of my perennial favourites. Don't think I've tried the Maina or Loison but I will. Thanks for the input.

Edited by carswell (log)

I make my pannetone every year. The recipe I have been using these last few years is from Peter Reinhart's Crust & Crumb. Easy to do and much better then any that come in these little boxes. However I would like to try one made in a local bakery but I have never seen any.

unless you got to Italy forget about it local bakeries won't do it , It's Time comsuming and it won't come out that good due to the lack of some products.

The recipe I use is from Igenio Massari the King of Pannetone the book is called Cresci Good luck if you find one and if you do hope you read in Italian.

But I recommend it alot.

there is an italian pastry chef who works at Bronte. She makes excellent pannetone. last year she served individual ones for a chrismas brunch.  maybe you could ask her to share her secrets?

I know the pastry chef at Bronte-MR Mark Tam used to make a pannetone bread pudding, although I am not sure of the pannetone's provenance...

Edited by Chewie (log)

I'm going to bronte tonight with colligues from work, and I've had the budino at bronte ,it's outstanding .

But I never had it just like that I' ll ask Joe to make me try some .