• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Time Out NY's 100 Best Burgers

bpearis

best burger in NY, bar none -- Bar 89 (I prefer the APV II -- au poivre with bleu cheese and bacon)....its the only reason to go to that benighted place.

Bar 89 is the sister restaurant to Elsa's on the Park in Milwaukee with an identical menu -- best burgers in the midwest...

How bout them terlets. Those things are fancy like. With the fog and everything.

If anything...I was glad to not see the usual suspects (Corner Bistro, Luger) at the top of the list even if those are pretty damn good burgers. This article has opened my eyes to a couple of other places that I am going to try over the next few weeks. When it comes to something like burgers, New Yorkers are going to get very combative and no list could be definitive. I prefer to look at it as an introduction to some possibly hidden treasures.

The one I don't get is Paul's Palace. I've been there 3 or 4 times in the last year or so. I kept thinking I must have hit it on a bad night, but the burgers I've had were never better than ok.

I only gave it one shot, but that is because Paul's burger was so bad I couldn't believe anyone would recommend it. I don't know, maybe there are some people who really like burgers that are somehow mushy and overcooked, but I guess it is possible. This definately seemed to be the style they were going for, not just an anomaly at our table.

Not that I've tried them all, but Luger's is definately my favorite.

I suppose with this list Time Out has succeeded at being talked about, if nothing else. Does anybody know if there's a link to this piece of content? I'd be interested to see any reasoning or justification given for the ratings, which standing alone seem quite untrustworthy.

Steven A. Shaw aka "Fat Guy"
Co-founder, Society for Culinary Arts & Letters, sshaw@egstaff.org
Proud signatory to the eG Ethics code
Director, New Media Studies, International Culinary Center (take my food-blogging course)

Corner Bistro has disappointed me a few times, but usually comes through. Fred's Upstairs at Barney's has a good burger, and you get to watch the fashion fabulous pick at salads and glare at eachother. Ike's on 2nd and 6th ave have pretty good 'twin burgers' (slightly larger than a White Castle).

What is this Burger Club?

Dani: Burger Club was founded about a year and a half ago by an eGullet member, with the sole purpose of eating and rating burgers. The original NY club is no longer officially affiliated with eG, although some eG members do attend on the now rare (pun intended) occasions there is a meeting; I'm not sure about the status of branches in other cities.

I have put myself in great jeopardy by telling you this because one of the first rules of BC is: "No one mentions BC." :raz:

I will agree that it is often too tall, but I have never had a CB burger that hasn't been so juicy that it drips rivers down my chin. I just wish they were more consistent. Sometimes the medium rare is perfect, sometimes its closer to medium. I've found that its better when I go early afternoon on a sunday, rather than right after work during the week.

• 3 months later...

Heading out to Donovan's in Woodside tonight for the burger - are there any particular toppings they do well (Irish bacon or something) or should I just stick to a plain burger. Also, is it only available at the bar, or can it be had in one of the dining rooms?

Edited by lambretta76 (log)

• 1 year later...

I'm posting only to note that, a few weeks ago, a friend wanted to go out for a burger, and suggested Metro Cafe & Wine Bar (on 21st St. between Park and Broadway). When we got there, I realized it was a place that I had never heard of before that had made it into the benighted TONY Top 10 of a couples of years ago. Out of all the weird places in that Top 10, it had struck me as the most completely-out-of-left-field. But here I was.

The burger was OK.

Edited by Sneakeater (log)