• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

recipe/technique for lardo and nduja?

trillium

I'm interested in making either of these, but can't find any hints on salt/cure ratios and seasonings. I'm guessing the lardo is very easy to make, and I have 6 fresh pork kidneys that could go into a salumi if the partner doesn't get to them first. I thought nduja would be a good candidate, but I can't find a recipe. Anyone?

thanks,

trillium

depends what kind of lardo you are making..

the collonatta style is pork fatback ( I believe) with little or no "meat" the whiter the better..

It is salted, spiced and aged in marble boxes..

The there is whipped lard, Burro di Chianti that Dario Cecchini makes..and in that style..

as for Nduja here is a site. that gives a general idea.. if you need help with the Italian, let me know

depends what kind of lardo you are making..

the collonatta style is pork fatback ( I believe) with little or no "meat" the whiter the better..

It is salted, spiced and aged in marble boxes..

The there is whipped lard, Burro di Chianti that Dario Cecchini makes..and in that style..

as for Nduja here is a site. that gives a general idea.. if you need help with the Italian, let me know

I was thinking of the Collonatta style, because I have a lot of fatback from a milk-fed pig, but wondering if I could make it without the marble box. I was also wondering about the salts, just NaCl or that plus saltpeter or sodium nitrate? And how much salt and spice to the layers of fat, the same as for pancetta or different?

I was under the impression that nduja contained kidneys. My Italian is not good enough to know all the words on the site you pointed to, but I don't think I see mention of kidney or any other offal, unless sottopancia = kidney?

thank you

trillium

I will ask about the Colonata style as many people here make it..and let you know.

I am back in FLorence next week at the market..

Also I don't see kidney's mentioned Sottopancia is pork belly.. under the stomach..literally.

Edited by divina (log)

Thanks for all the help everyone. I would love to hear what people do to make lardo, since I have so much of this lovely buttery fat. I guess I'll just do something Asian with the kidneys.

Last night we were up until 2 am stuffing beef middles for soppressata and finnochiona. First time I did it with a kitchenaid attachment instead of a real stuffer. Never again. That was horrible.

Tonight should be easier, it's time to make the guanciale, pancetta and some good old fashioned bacon. Oh yeah, and a terrine with the liver and tongues. Hmmm... I see more sleep deprivation in my future.

regards,

trillium

Colonata style... not sure about this reference.

I lived and worked in the Versilia for a little while, and when going up and down the hills/mountain passes, La Colonata was a frequent feature. Breakfast could be a panino di lardo, it could be lunch, it could be a snack, and lardo would appear everywhere. E V E R Y W H E R E.

They make it in marble boxes ( I have one of these) but apparently its also the air, the temperature, the humidity. I would tend to agree to a point because marble, and specifically, White Carrara Marble, aka Bianco Carrara, is porous, but can be a great thermal insulator, ie. does not retain heat, but will keep cool. However, humidity inside such a container can vary. The thickness of most lardo boxes of marble is around 20mm, or close to an inch.

If one moves around and tries lardo from other places, you won't find it quite the same.

"Coffee and cigarettes... the breakfast of champions!"

I'm not trying to make it taste just like Colonata, I'm just trying to make a tasty lardo that you salt and spice. I completely understand that place makes something special, however, I'm looking for help on making something with this wonderful milk fed pork fat I have here. Have you used your box to make lardo? Could you tell me the ratios of salts you used?

thanks,

trillium

The box I have was used, and I saw it filled once, but despite my tasting protestations and loud mouthed carrying on, all I saw was the fat laid into a base of salt, followed by another layer of salt, then more fat etc etc etc. Some herbs were crusted on the fat, say rosemary, thyme, peppercorns.

The results did not last very long. I was given the box and since, it's kept wine and cigars.

"Coffee and cigarettes... the breakfast of champions!"

It is tons of salt.. Coarse sea salt,with rosemary for sure.. and my friends give me the DROGHE,.. which is typical in Carrara, which they do a dry rub with first.

It is like pumpkin pie spice m,ix.. but better.

Ginger, cinnamon, mace, nutmeg, corriandor..... and ???

Each place has their own blend!

Edited by divina (log)