• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Opera, 13th and U Streets NW

oliveDC

Checked out Opera the other night (I think I'll always call it Kuna) and though change is hard, I enjoyed myself. They don't have the wine sampling anymore but I heard chef Mark tell someone that they were welcome to ask for a sample of anything that's open.

The army green walls are a little pukey, but they added a tall communal table which could be fun. The new cocktail list looked great -- maybe they're hoping people will come to drink and snack.

There's a cheese plate and a charcuterie plate on the menu, along with a bunch of appetizers and some interesting entrees, quite a few of them vegetarian.

I had rockfish in tomato broth with a side of aioli and toasted bread, sort of a simplified bouillabaisse, that was fantastic. Prices were hovering just under $20.

It'll be interesting to see how the change works out for them...

Amanda

Metrocurean, a D.C. restaurant and food blog

• 1 month later...

My question to Tom revealed his review for this week:

U St. Washington, D.C.: Have you dined at, or heard anything about Opera, the place that replaced Kuna? Thanks

Tom Sietsema: Your timing couldn't be better. My review of Opera hits the news stands this Sunday.

My question to Tom revealed his review for this week:

U St. Washington, D.C.: Have you dined at, or heard anything about Opera, the place that replaced Kuna? Thanks

Tom Sietsema: Your timing couldn't be better. My review of Opera hits the news stands this Sunday.

Rock on L. Pavarotti!

Edited by morela (log)

"I was halfway into the entree, lingering over each bite, when I paused and gazed out the ground-floor window: A gentle snow was falling. The experience reminded me how events, good or bad, can shape a person's attitude about a restaurant. Who you're with, the mood you're in when you walk through the door, the background music -- restaurants are often about more than just what you're eating."

This line from the Post review perfectly sums up how I always felt about Kuna. It wasn't the food that kept me coming back, though it was always good -- it's the atmosphere of hospitality that the owners have created.

I'm glad to see they got two stars, even though I'm still trying to figure out the menu. We had a disappointing fried risotto dish the other night, and a too tough veal salad on another visit. But I'll keep going back because it's hard to not feel at home there.

Amanda

Metrocurean, a D.C. restaurant and food blog

• 2 months later...

I went to Tom's review of Opera (formerly Kuna) to see if Opera is open on Sunday nights. I remembered that Kuna was not. Although the review says "Sunday 6-9 pm" I figured I should call and sure enough, the outgoing voice mail says that they are closed Sunday. The voice mail also makes reference to "Opera, formerly Kuna" and "Italian farmhouse cuisine."

I also saw an interesting user review dated March 17 saying that the old Kuna menu is back/coming back. Is anyone able to verify that (by a recent visit)?

I would say it is about 80 percent the same as Kuna-. They wanted to make a clean break away from the Kuna menu, but the customers kept asking for old faves, so it is not much different than it was-- with higher prices.

I went to Tom's review of Opera (formerly Kuna) to see if Opera is open on Sunday nights.  I remembered that Kuna was not.  Although the review says "Sunday 6-9 pm" I figured I should call and sure enough, the outgoing voice mail says that they are closed Sunday.  The voice mail also makes reference to "Opera, formerly Kuna" and "Italian farmhouse cuisine."

I also saw an interesting user review dated March 17 saying that the old Kuna menu is back/coming back.  Is anyone able to verify that (by a recent visit)?