• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Michelin Stars

Suzi Edwards

There's too much discrepancy at the lower end. Maybe they need to introduce a 5 star rating system.

Incidentally, I only ate at Morgan M's once shortly after it opened, service was poor but the food was good and was definitely heading towards Michelin stars. More recent reports have been more positive so I wonder what is holding it back.

I'm finding the guide more and more baffling. I would love to go on an inspection to see what they require.

"Why would we want Children? What do they know about food?"

my first thoughts suggest that when it comes to a restaurant that is considered not to be following a classical and generally proven repetoire then Michelin will hold out a little longer to ensure that the restaurant can prove itself and is not just a fad or a trend follower.

I am suprised the Box Tree received a star so soon after opening, even though it may warrant one!

Aikens and Wareing must be hopping mad! I am shocked that Aikens did not get a second star as he shows highly original techniques and presentation. Is Wareing stuck one 1 star by being a by-product of Ramsay or appearing that way?

Taste is everything

I'm sure they won't mind if I cut & paste - afterall i/we do spend a fortune on their books & reccomendations

New Two Stars

Midsummer House Cambridge

New One Stars

The Samling Ambleside

Jessica’s Birmingham

Simpson’s Birmingham

The Goose Britwell Salome

The Lygon Arms Broadway

Bohemia Channel Islands

The New Angel Dartmouth

L’Enclume Grange-over-Sands

Box Tree Ilkley

Whatley Manor Malmesbury

Drakes Ripley

Sawyards Storrington

Rhodes Twenty Four London

Assaggi Westminster

Sketch Mayfair

Umu Mayfair

Yauatcha Soho

Lose a Star

Simpson’s Kenilworth

Fleur de Sel Storrington

Chesil Rectory Winchester

Zaika Kensington & Chelsea

McClements Richmond

L’Oranger Westminster

Carlton House Llanwrtyd Wells

I'm very surpised about Aikens - thought he really deserved 2 (then again, maybe Michel coudn;t get a booking to check!)

I'm shocked at how the Box Tree can get one and Anthony's not...very odd indeed. TBT surely hasn't been open long enough and still with problems last time I was in. The inspector must have been on a good night!

And how is Mr UNderhill's still in there?

But me and the missus are staying at Samling's in a couple of weeks and were planning a trip to L'Enclume as well, so we'll be doing the Cumbrian stars over two nights...which should be fun.

It no longer exists, but it was lovely.

I'm shocked at how the Box Tree can get one and Anthony's not...very odd indeed. TBT surely hasn't been open long enough and still with problems last time I was in. The inspector must have been on a good night!

Likewise. Shocked and stunned.

P

Gordon Wallace

The other Leeds favourite has missed out as well - No 3 York Place

Strangely it hasn't been mentioned here at all, although last year it was thought to be in the running. Come to think of it its own thread has had no entries since September.

Disappointed David

The other Leeds favourite has missed out as well - No 3 York Place

Strangely it hasn't been mentioned here at all, although last year it was thought to be in the running. Come to think of it its own thread has had no entries since September.

Disappointed David

There is a reason for this.

i had a drink with denis the night before the results were due and he was certain they weren't going to get one this year so that wasn't such a shock on the day!

however, i think it is nothing to do with the the operation or standards at the restaurant it is more to do with its background.

Michelin gave it a star very quickly when simon gueller opened it, and took it back the next year when the restaurant went bankrupt.

They hate to have to withdraw stars.

Although front of house and kitchen has been constant for around 2 years the ownership has changed several times, now owned by denis and chef martel.

consistency is a virtue prized by michelin and both leeds players , both deserving of a star have fallen victim to this i believe.

They obviously want to see to tony flinn can keep up the standards we have become used to and make sure number 3 is on a sound financial basis.

harsh in both cases but fully expect them to get the rewards they deserve next year.

as for the lack of reviews that suprises me too!

i do tend to go every couple of weeks or so, i apologise for my lack of writing though i am going today :biggrin:

edit i know what i'm having too....Ravioli of Quail, Creamed Savoy Cabbage,

Fried Quail’s Egg, Velouté of Thyme to start, main tbc and to finish Tarte Tatin of Cox’s Apples, Vanila Ice cream, Caramel Sauce :biggrin:

cheers

gary

Edited by Gary Marshall (log)

you don't win friends with salad

Fried Quail’s Egg, Velouté of Thyme to start, main tbc and to finish Tarte Tatin of Cox’s Apples, Vanila Ice cream, Caramel Sauce  :biggrin:

(jealous) you bastard... it's hard to eat out often on a chef's wages... :( (/jealous)

I'm seeing a lot of Tatins kicking about these days, and rightly so.

Allan Brown

"If you're a chef on a salary, there's usually a very good reason. Never, ever, work out your hourly rate."

Fried Quail’s Egg, Velouté of Thyme to start, main tbc and to finish Tarte Tatin of Cox’s Apples, Vanila Ice cream, Caramel Sauce  :biggrin:

(jealous) you bastard... it's hard to eat out often on a chef's wages... :( (/jealous)

I'm seeing a lot of Tatins kicking about these days, and rightly so.

i think you mean fat bastard ! :wink:

yes, it all lived up to expectations, especially the tatin.

if you fancy a trip over the pennines to god's country......

can't promise to buy lunch but i'll certainly buy a few beers!

cheers

gary

you don't win friends with salad

• 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...

I have had quite a few meals that have been cooked by Tom Aikens (three at his current restaurant and more when he was at Pied a Terre) and I belive that while most of his dishes are worth the two star rating, some are most definatley in the two star league and to be frank if the inspectors arive and one of them happens to order three of these, then thats it no promotion. However I am certain that he will achive two stars within the next two or three years. He is by the way a very nice guy, I have met him twice and found him to be very humble and down to earth (and I cannot say the same for quite a few starred chefs I know).

I belive that while most of his dishes are worth the two star rating, some are most definatley in the two star league

Odd. When I went there in May 2004 I had the impression the guy had just discovered foams. My starter had no less than three different foams. Each course had some type of more or less tasty foams. You don't get two Michelin stars for pouring foams around do you?

Have improvements been made over the last year?

F

This seems as good a place as any to mention Drakes on the Pond in Abinger Hammer in Surrey - it's had a star for 3 years, and I went there for the first time on Saturday - it's only half an hour from where I live.

The food was generally excellent, if sometimes a bit tepid, but I've just Googled and I can't see that any national newspaper has ever reviewed it. We don't have that many restaurants serving food of such quality and it's strange that it's been ignored.

This seems as good a place as any to mention Drakes on the Pond in Abinger Hammer in Surrey - it's had a star for 3 years, and I went there for the first time on Saturday - it's only half an hour from where I live. 

The food was generally excellent, if sometimes a bit tepid, but I've just Googled and I can't see that any national newspaper has ever reviewed it.  We don't have that many restaurants serving food of such quality and it's strange that it's been ignored.

The chef who won the star (coincidentally a a Mr Drake) left to set up his confusingly-named Drakes in Ripley - I've seen a couple of reviews of his food there.

I have had quite a few  meals that have been cooked by Tom Aikens (three at his current restaurant and more when he was at Pied a Terre) and I belive that while most of his dishes are worth the two star rating, some are most definatley in the two star league and to be frank if the inspectors arive and one of them happens to order three of these, then thats it no promotion. However I am certain that he will achive two stars within the next two or three years. He is by the way a very nice guy, I have met him twice and found him to be very humble and down to earth (and I cannot say the same for quite a few starred chefs I know).

Damn made a mistake in this post sorry meant to say " while most of his dishes are worth the two star rating, some are not" Please forgive me!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I belive that while most of his dishes are worth the two star rating, some are most definatley in the two star league

Odd. When I went there in May 2004 I had the impression the guy had just discovered foams. My starter had no less than three different foams. Each course had some type of more or less tasty foams. You don't get two Michelin stars for pouring foams around do you?

Have improvements been made over the last year?

F

Sorry I made a mistake when I wrote this Fabienpe I was very tired when I wrote it, I meant to say that while most of his dishes are worhty of two stars, some are not.