• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Michelin Stars

Suzi Edwards

Le Gavroche 'lost' a star in 1991 when Michel Roux Jr. took over Gavroche from his father Albert, ...

The Waterside Inn in Bray, another Roux stronghold, proudly holds 3 stars, regardless of the fact that Alain Roux has taken over from his father Michel Sr.

In my experience, I don't understand is how the Waterside Inn beats Le Gavroche.

OK, so the views over the river are nice at WI, but the service at WI is amateur compared to Le Gavroche.

Food is, of course, awesome at both.

Cheers, Howard

This is like GCSE Michelin stars for me. You're helping me do my revision :-)

some further help, 12 FAQ about the michelin guide.

http://www.michelin.com/corporate/front/te...odePage=PAG_17#

Makes interesting reading.

I discovered last night that to be included in the Relais et Chateaux guide actually costs an establishment a substantial sum. Le Gavroche was paying IRO £25,000 a few years ago for their Relais Gourmand.

Whether this seems right or not I don't know. But I must say I've never been let down (whether it is a restaurant or hotel) from all the 30+ establishments I've tried from the guide. The same could not be said for Michelin awarded locations.

Cheers, Howard

Le Gavroche 'lost' a star in 1991 when Michel Roux Jr. took over Gavroche from his father Albert, ...

The Waterside Inn in Bray, another Roux stronghold, proudly holds 3 stars, regardless of the fact that Alain Roux has taken over from his father Michel Sr.

In my experience, I don't understand is how the Waterside Inn beats Le Gavroche.

OK, so the views over the river are nice at WI, but the service at WI is amateur compared to Le Gavroche.

Food is, of course, awesome at both.

Cheers, Howard

I totally agree Howard, being one who absolutely worships Silvano, and Michel Jr, but unfortunately, I don't hand out the stars... And really, since Silvano trained Diego and so on, and so on, it's all in the family! :) The front of house family that is!

I, like you, prefer Gavroche to any restaurant in London (with the exception of Aubergine... Thierry transplant) and proudly consider myself to be a devoted follower of all things Roux related.

I understand that the folks on this board are more into the food side of things, but I really had my head turned by the service at Le Gavroche to the point that I am now conducting major research into the history of front of house service. Without top notch service, what is the use of Michelin Star cooking? I mean, the service is such a necessary componant of Michelin Starred or Relais Gourmond cooking that, imho, the two cannot and should not be seperated.

Kind regards,

Paula

"...It is said that without the culinary arts, the crudeness of reality would be unbearable..." Leopold

That is so so true,

What next Michelin starred food down at your greasy spoon?

I went into a French restaraunt and asked the waiter, 'Have you got frog's legs?' He said, 'Yes,' so I said, 'Well hop into the kitchen and get me a cheese sandwich.'

Tommy Cooper

I understand that the folks on this board are more into the food side of things, but I really had my head turned by the service at Le Gavroche ...

I don't think it's the people of this board. I know that I've expressed the paper plate and plastic spoon preference - and I think Jon Tseng is of the torn t-shirt and skates school of things - but I think most are on your side of the fence.

"Gimme a pig's foot, and a bottle of beer..." Bessie Smith

Flickr Food

"111,111,111 x 111,111,111 = 12,345,678,987,654,321" Bruce Frigard 'Winesonoma' - RIP

I understand that the folks on this board are more into the food side of things, but I really had my head turned by the service at Le Gavroche ...

I don't think it's the people of this board. I know that I've expressed the paper plate and plastic spoon preference - and I think Jon Tseng is of the torn t-shirt and skates school of things - but I think most are on your side of the fence.

My apologies to all, I did not intend to insinuate anything derogatory by my statement, I just am looking at things from a front of house point of view rather than back of house. I realize that the aspect of the ingredients and the skill it takes to create this type/style of cuisine are more time than not, discussed in great detail and with equal fervor here.

I am simply stating that with out the highest level of service, and all that it encompasses, the entire Michelin Star/Relais Gourmond package would be incomplete.

On that note, I shall retire to my corn flakes served in a plastic bowl... :)

Kind regards,

Paula

"...It is said that without the culinary arts, the crudeness of reality would be unbearable..." Leopold

Interesting to see that the AA have released details of select upgrades well in advance of the release of the 2005 guide...

Also interesting to see that Martin Wishart's in Edinburgh (1 michelin star) have been booted up from three to four rosettes. Maybe an indication of a second star in the Michelin guide?

I wonder if this is the AA trying to steal some of Michelin's thunder, as it were.

Do we have a firm publication date for the red guide this year? Waterstones says 21 January.

Allan Brown

"If you're a chef on a salary, there's usually a very good reason. Never, ever, work out your hourly rate."

2005 Michelin rankings will be available at Michelin.co.uk from 9.00am on Thursday 20 January. The guide will be in the shops the following day.

Head of the UK Michelin Guide Derek Bulmer will join us online for a forum chat between 24 and 28 January. Full details of this exciting event next week.

Looking forward to that!

Will have to think of some intellectual questions.

Did you get in contact with him Andy?

I went into a French restaraunt and asked the waiter, 'Have you got frog's legs?' He said, 'Yes,' so I said, 'Well hop into the kitchen and get me a cheese sandwich.'

Tommy Cooper

I know this is very wrong of me, but I always think of Gary Rhodes in the same light as Ainsley Harriot.

That's such an unbelievable statement - Gary Rhodes is one of the most talented/skilled British Chefs you have.

David

Edited by d.hawksworth (log)

David,

You are only as good as your last restaurant concept! There are plenty of other chefs who are as talented but without the exposure, & who do not seek the same kind of exposure, ego can get in the way sometimes! but he can be good as his resume suggests!

I know this is very wrong of me, but I always think of Gary Rhodes in the same light as Ainsley Harriot.

That's such an unbelievable statement - Gary Rhodes is one of the most talented/skilled British Chefs you have.

David

I didn't say he was like Ainsley Harriot, I said I always think of him like that. I know it's wrong and I will go to Rhodes 24 very soon to sample his spiky haired goodness.

But at risk of sounding like Loyd Grossman, look at the evidence; marketing deal with Tate and Lyle, too long period of overexposure on TV, more adverts, that boy Tim on the Ramsey's Kitchen Nighmare's show saying "Mam, I'm booking a ticket to the Good Food Live show and I'm going to meet Gary Rhodes". The vast majority of the population wouldn't know that he had Michelin stars.

Unless I'm wrong and the vast majority of the population thinks that Ainsley Harriot is a talented chef and has Michelin stars. There's a thought.

Suzi Edwards aka "Tarka"

"the only thing larger than her bum is her ego"

Blogito ergo sum

Unless I'm wrong and the vast majority of the population thinks that Ainsley Harriot is a talented chef and has Michelin stars. There's a thought.

I think you've hit the nail on the head. Most people would be more impressed by Ainsley Harriot than Ferran Adria, by Anthony Worrall-Thompson than Anthony Flinn. The number of people who eat in fine dining restaurants is tiny compared to the number of people who watch cooking TV.

I ate in City Rhodes and Rhodes in the Square, and I've eaten in Rhodes 24. I liked all of them, but (particularly the last) I thought was more 'essence of Rhodes' than the man himself - he is only consultant there so judging Rhodes from that is like judging Gordon Ramsay from Claridge's. (Might still be a fine restaurant, but it's not "Gordon Ramsay"). I'm eagerly looking forward to his fine dining place at the Cumberland Hotel, which I think will be where he's doing some serious star-searching.