• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Michelin Stars

Suzi Edwards

RVB - one star

Anthony's - one star

Greenhouse - 2 stars

What strikes me is that nobody is talking of any restaurant in with a chance of gaining a 3rd star.

I think that hibiscus is a natural 3 star at some point if it carries on in the same fashion. Maybe not just yet.

Anthony's could get three eventually, especially given the fat duck precedent, and tony is definitely up for it.

winteringham fields were always hopeful for 3 and they ticked all the obvious boxes but it never happened, we always used to book the weekend michelin was out in the hope it would get upgraded.

A few years ago petrus would have been the obvious call but since the move no-one seems to mention it, and you very rarely seem to see/hear much from marcus wareing who was very high profile at one point, i get the impression that even though the chefs in the ramsay empire seem highly motivated, financial success has become their barometer. Can't really blame them, can't pay the mortgage with a star can you?

cheers

gary

you don't win friends with salad

I had a *very* embarassing moment when I met Simon Rogan last week. I had, like Gary, been living under the delusion that L'Enclume had a star. It didn't and, well, I can't even bear to recount the conversation.

Honestly, I might end up eating crow when the guide comes out, but that place deserves more than one star. I really need to get round to putting my thoughts about the place in order, but I did not eat a one star meal.

The only two star I ate at last year, The Square, didn't really impress me, but I think that was because we were a reasonably good sized group. Who else has two stars that could get a third?

Who do we think could lose stars?

Suzi Edwards aka "Tarka"

"the only thing larger than her bum is her ego"

Blogito ergo sum

Was just wondering if anyone works for/ or has done in the past as a Michelin Inspector? Could you share some stories with us??

I went into a French restaraunt and asked the waiter, 'Have you got frog's legs?' He said, 'Yes,' so I said, 'Well hop into the kitchen and get me a cheese sandwich.'

Tommy Cooper

get the feeling now michelin have to be seen to be quicker to respond to changes/public opinion than before as there is much more competition from other guides/internet etc.

hence fat duck 3 stars which makes no sense at all hahaha  :laugh:

if there's any justice, one apiece for anthony's and no 3. then cue loads of press hailing leeds as the new gastronomic centre. :wink:

cheers

gary

Agree with all the above. However, my not inconsiderable gut has a feeling that Anthony's and l'Enclume will both get a star. Nevertheless, the Fat Duck's third star (undeserved i.m.o.) really threw a spanner in the works in terms of double-guessing Michelin, potentially anything could happen. In fact, I wonder if the Fat Duck might lose a star. I mean nothing much has happened there food wise since the refit (2000?), and although it's among the best in Britain, Pierre Gagnaire it ain't. Mind you both GR @ RHR and the Waterside Inn are in a similar position with the disadvantage of not cooking trendy food, and I hear the GR @ RHR is really not hitting the high notes of late.

So, regardless of what might happen, perhaps what should happen is that all the three British three stars should be demoted to two stars, and that Anthony's and l'Enclume go straight in at two stars. Never happen though... or will it?

Le Gavroche which held 3 stars for a longtime before it was demoted to 2 and La Tante Claire (now closed) was demoted when it moved premises. The only other 3 stars I can think of were The Oak Room and Chez Nico at 90, both of which "handed back" their stars when Marco and Nico retired from the kitchen.

I wonder if the Fat Duck might lose a star.

It won't. The last thing on earth Michelin would do is award a 3rd star one year if they thought there was the remotest possibility that they might have to take it away the next.

I'm sure you're right, I was joking really, but even so I wouldn't completely stunned if the either the Waterside or GR @ RHR went down to two. If I had to bet on one I'd say that GR must be a bit nervous, by all accounts standards at RHR have slipped of late.

I wonder if the Fat Duck might lose a star.

It won't. The last thing on earth Michelin would do is award a 3rd star one year if they thought there was the remotest possibility that they might have to take it away the next.

I'm sure you're right, I was joking really, but even so I wouldn't completely stunned if the either the Waterside or GR @ RHR went down to two. If I had to bet on one I'd say that GR must be a bit nervous, by all accounts standards at RHR have slipped of late.

consistency was always the key with michelin, if you remember they made ramsay wait for his 3rd one for a year longer than he thought it would take.

i'd be suprised if rhr lost a star but they did take a star off alain ducasse in monaco, which he won back.

If RHR lost a star, i'd give it a month or two and head back, i think you'd find it quickly back on form and maybe even a bit more input from gordon.

I suspect though at that level there's more dialogue between the restaurants and michelin than they'd have us believe, if it were demoted it might be a shock to us but i doubt it would be to ramsay. He's busy enough with openings in japan and maze with jason atherton to keep him quiet.

cheers

gary

Le Gavroche which held 3 stars for a longtime before it was demoted to 2 and La Tante Claire (now closed) was demoted when it moved premises. The only other 3 stars I can think of were The Oak Room and Chez Nico at 90, both of which "handed back" their stars when Marco and Nico retired from the kitchen.

Happy New Year fellow eGulleteers!

Le Gavroche 'lost' a star in 1991 when Michel Roux Jr. took over Gavroche from his father Albert, which is not a negative reflection on the quality of his cooking or the level of skill and craftsmanship executed there. So many aspects are considered by Michelin when awarding stars... aside from cooking, there is ambiance, wine lists, and especially service, quality of nearly everything that has to do with the operation of a prestige establishment.

Chef Michel states that he isn't too fussed about gaining that 3rd star back, as it requires much more than meets the eye to gain/uphold 3 stars. It is a very costly proposition to play the Michelin game.

The Waterside Inn in Bray, another Roux stronghold, proudly holds 3 stars, regardless of the fact that Alain Roux has taken over from his father Michel Sr., and we will see what happens in 2005. I suspect they will remain a 3 star.

Just for the record, Le Gavroche was the first restaurant in Britain to be awarded 1, 2 and finally 3 stars, in 1974, 1977 and 1982 respectfully.

The Roux family paved the way for other restaurants, and chefs, to gain reconition and earn these stars and the other accolades that compliment the level of execution that we now associate with the best places in London and beyond :)

What would the dining scene in GB be like if it hadn't been for the likes of the Roux's? Our thanks to them for changing the face of fine dining here.

Kind regards,

Paula

"...It is said that without the culinary arts, the crudeness of reality would be unbearable..." Leopold

Didn't Gary Rhodes win 3 michelin stars? Where was that?

No, he's never held more than one. Looking forward to his new place at the Cumberland Hotel, although I still haven't made it to Rhodes 24 yet. I must rectify that as soon as possible.

I nearly fell off my chair when I read this post.

I know this is very wrong of me, but I always think of Gary Rhodes in the same light as Ainsley Harriot.

Suzi Edwards aka "Tarka"

"the only thing larger than her bum is her ego"

Blogito ergo sum

I know this is very wrong of me, but I always think of Gary Rhodes in the same light as Ainsley Harriot.

That is very wrong of you. Whatever you think of Rhodes TV persona, he is a very able and talented chef and restaurateur, while Harriot on the other hand is a complete...entertainer.

Maybe i mis-read it somewhere, he held three 1stars at three diffrent places? Sorry for the entertainment tarka!

This site seems interesting Michelin Stars Man

I went into a French restaraunt and asked the waiter, 'Have you got frog's legs?' He said, 'Yes,' so I said, 'Well hop into the kitchen and get me a cheese sandwich.'

Tommy Cooper

He's had stars wherever he's cooked, so he's had at least three consecutive stars and I think he had them at the same time for City Rhodes and Rhodes In The Square. If he put his mind to it, I don't doubt he could have got 2 or maybe even 3 if he wanted them, but he just took a different path.

i know what you mean, they both come across as totall chumps on the box, but while i own a rhodes book (new british classics) and use it regularly, with some degree of success, i do not own any books by ainsley (not even his barbeque bible which someone was championing on here a while ago) and would never even consider looking in one, let alone using one!

i know what you mean, they both come across as totall chumps on the box, but while i own a rhodes book (new british classics) and use it regularly, with some degree of success, i do not own any books by ainsley (not even his barbeque bible which someone was championing on here a while ago) and would never even consider looking in one, let alone using one!

yet again i feel it is time for my friends ainsley harriott story....

he was the queen mothers private chef, my mate worked for his family in manchester where they owned a restaurant, they wanted him to return home to work for them but he refused and stayed in london to make his career. Apparently he his actually a good chef. my mate now lurks here, maybe he'll fill in the tale....

yes, and it is true my cats are named after him ainsley and harriett :biggrin:

cheers

gary

Rumour is he got sacked from a chefs position is a top london hotel for being too cocky.....

Tommy Cooper