• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Sunday Night Eating in Vancouver Help

Please, I'm frustrated and need help. I'm coming to Vancouver on Sunday night the 12th for a stop over with a friend for her 50th birthday, before we head up to Whistler to ski. We won't be getting in to the city until about 830pm. Hotel Check In(hotel is on Robeson) etc…so we probably won't be eating until around 9pm plus. I had thought we would drop in at Chambar for something light. On a fluke I decided to call tonight to see if I should make reservations. Help!!! They aren't open on Sundays. What could I have been thinking?

Do you know any good places open on Sunday night? Good? Meaning the food is of a quality to be placed in the celebrate a 50th. We will be going to Whistler and eating at Apres and the Four Seasons Bistro. So we don't need something that would be classified as dinning but we do need good quality and a chef with a sensitive tongue. Ethic food is good too, although Japanese is out. I've lived in Japan and think there are very few places that qualify.

If you've read this far, thank you so much, I wait patiently for your reply.

You could try Cin Cin, which is a very good Italian place, open until 11pm every night. It's also on Robson, so it may be within walking distance of your hotel.

I know a man who gave up smoking, drinking, sex, and rich food. He was healthy right up to the day he killed himself. - Johnny Carson

Joe Fortes and Cin Cin are solid choices. Ethnic but not Japanese...how about Korean BBQ or hotpot? You'll notice the many small Korean restaurants on Robson, especially towards the western portion. If you feel like cheap and cheerful (although hearty and filling) then try any one of them. Nor Boo is currently quite good as can be attested by the frequent line ups outside.

Cin Cin is one of the cosiest rooms in town and a certified best smeller--because of the wood-fired forno. We had a lovely meal there just last week: ruby trout, veal cheek garganelli--both reeked of gemutlich and flavour.

Another Sunday favourite, and a real Vancouver tradition--the Sunday roasted chicken dinner at Bacchus at the Wedgewood Hotel. Pureed potatoes, turned carrots, very good gravy, chicken carved at the table--all for about CDN$25 a head. Start with chef Lee Parsons' white bean soup. His slow, olive-oil poached (45 minute) wild spring salmon is also delicious.

By the way, if it's not too late, we have a special rate at The Wedgewood which can be made available to eGulleteers. You can PM me for more information.

Cheers,

Jamie

Edited by jamiemaw (log)

from the thinly veneered desk of:

Jamie Maw

Food Editor

Vancouver magazine

www.vancouvermagazine.com

Foodblog: In the Belly of the Feast - Eating BC

"Profumo profondo della mia carne"

• 4 weeks later...

I'm sorry for replying so late. I wanted to thank everyone that took the time to reply to my plea. My friend could not wait until we reached BC and made me stop in Bellingham to eat. We had an okay dinner at an Italian place. Wasn't good enough to remember the name.

I now have a list of great places in BC as I'm hoping to return in the spring. Thanks again.

I must add that I read many of your comments about Whistler and took your advice on Apres. I recommend going if you're in the area. The sauces were all reduced well and the service was good. The deco is also creative and relaxing after a day on the slopes.

We also took a night and did bar food. We hit Barefoot Champagne Bar, which I would recommend as well and we visited the 4 seasons. I would have to go back to the 4 seasons to give a fair judgement but the dishwasher going in the bar area created to much noise to make any enjoyment of the food possible. We complained and nothing was done. The poor bartender apologized and said he had told the management about it many times but no one was willing to do anything about it. I would assume the dining room would be different.

Again thanks for all the tips! Egulleters are great!

Please, I'm frustrated and need help. I'm coming to Vancouver on Sunday night the 12th for a stop over with a friend for her 50th birthday, before we head up to Whistler to ski. We won't be getting in to the city until about 830pm. Hotel Check In(hotel is on Robeson)  etc…so we probably won't be eating until around 9pm plus. I had thought we would drop in at Chambar for something light. On a fluke I decided to call tonight to see if I should make reservations. Help!!! They aren't open on Sundays. What could I have been thinking?

Do you know any good places open on Sunday night? Good? Meaning the food is of a quality to be placed in the celebrate a 50th. We will be going to Whistler and eating at Apres and the Four Seasons Bistro. So we don't need something that would be classified as dinning but we do need good quality and a chef with a sensitive tongue. Ethic food is good too, although Japanese is out. I've lived in Japan and think there are very few places that qualify.

If you've read this far, thank you so much, I wait patiently for your reply.

Try The Living Room Bistro on West 4th in Kits, awsome french inspired food and great ambiance. Open until midnight on Sundays