• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Chinese Ingredients

jogoode

I see this vegetable often, but I'm never sure what it is. I asked a waitress a few nights ago, while I was eating a dish of "Enchanted Pork," littered with this vegetable.

It looks like it's been cut from a stalk. I typically see it cut into little, flat green rhombuses. It could very well be a regular old leek, but I can't tell. Any ideas?

JJ Goode

Co-author of Serious Barbecue, which is in stores now!

www.jjgoode.com

"For those of you following along, JJ is one of these hummingbird-metabolism types. He weighs something like eleven pounds but he can eat more than me and Jason put together..." -Fat Guy

When I searched on google, it seems like Enchanted Pork might be double cooked pork.

I am thinking it might be young garlic shoot or another vegetable that I only know by its chinese name. :hmmm: How thick is the vegetable in width? Is it about the same size as green onion?

Edited by Yuki (log)

How does it taste?  What kind of meat was it cooked with?  Color?

It is green and was cooked with pork. But different piece of this vegetable were different shades of green, which makes me think it might be a green onion.

When I searched on google, it seems like Enchanted Pork might be double cooked pork.

I am thinking it might be young garlic shoot or another vegetable that I only know by its chinese name. :hmmm:  How thick is the vegetable in width? Is it about the same size as green onion?

But then again the pieces were wider than those of green onion. Maybe it was a leek.

The Enchanted pork was like double cooked pork, except the meat wasn't as fatty. The waitress said the Enchanted pork meat was from a fatty portion of the leg, whereas (though you might know better than I would know) double cooked pork is made using meat from the belly.

JJ Goode

Co-author of Serious Barbecue, which is in stores now!

www.jjgoode.com

"For those of you following along, JJ is one of these hummingbird-metabolism types. He weighs something like eleven pounds but he can eat more than me and Jason put together..." -Fat Guy

:laugh: if it tasted crucnhy had leaves and slightly bitter probably kai lan.

if it had a leaves a watery texture possibly choi sum,

if its looked like french beans might be garlic shoots,

if the flavour was non distinct it might actually be elderly asparagus thats been peeled.

"so tell me how do you bone a chicken?"

"tastes so good makes you want to slap your mamma!!"

My bet's on garlic shoots.

Absolutely tasty. Can eat it every day. Wonderful, um, garlicky flavours but green and fresh. Everyone should have some. It's good for you.

Honestly....

Really...

"Coffee and cigarettes... the breakfast of champions!"

• 2 weeks later...

Ms. Jo-Mel,

Jiu-Cai Hua is the chive flower, and Garlic Shoot should be Suan Miao.

We use garlic shoot in the Double Cooked Pork, but shredded pork goes well with just Chives. I think Chive's flavor is strong enough.

Have you tried to dry sautee the shredded pork and fresh green Chives, maybe add some of dry bean curd? it taste great!

"All the way to heaven is heaven."

___Said by St. Catherine of Sienna.

Let's enjoy life, now!

Ms. Jo-Mel,

Jiu-Cai Hua is the chive flower, and Garlic Shoot should be Suan Miao.

We use garlic shoot in the Double Cooked Pork, but shredded pork goes well with just Chives. I think Chive's flavor is strong enough.

Have you tried to dry sautee the shredded pork and fresh green Chives, maybe add some of dry bean curd? it taste great!

Hao Jiu bu jian!

When I was in Beijing in 1984, I had the stalk with the bulb,and loved them. I asked what it was and was told 'Suan miao'. So when I was next in NYC's Chinatown I asked for them. No grocer knew what I was talking about. Then I saw them!! I said "Suan Miao"!!!!!. They said: "No -- Jiu Cai Hua"!!

I know the firm stalk with the top bulb, and the flat chive - both green and yellow. So what is the correct name for each?

The dishes I've used the flat green or the flat yellow (blanched) have been either with shredded chicken or shredded pork. I love the subtle flavor of dishes with chives.

• 2 weeks later...

The bulb of the Garlic Shoot should be much larger than the Chive's, but the same problem you and me have__in China, in different lacation, people call the same thing as hundreds different names.

Let me give the names in Chinese, so you can show the people in Chinese food market. A simple concept, the people who work there do not speak good English, otherwise they could find a better job, ha...

Jiu Cai Hua (Chive Flower): 韭菜花

Suan Miao (Garlic Shoot): 蒜苗

And I read Gary Soup's web site, he and his wife did a very good research of translates Chinese cooking names and terms into English.

"All the way to heaven is heaven."

___Said by St. Catherine of Sienna.

Let's enjoy life, now!

Nothing wrong with working in a food market. I do not agree with your statement at all. If they weren't there, you wouldn't get what you want.

You need them , they need you. No one is better off.

"Coffee and cigarettes... the breakfast of champions!"

• 1 month later...