• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Stollen Recipes

I made stollen today using the first recipe Swisskaese linked. I had a few issues though, the most grievious error being that I didn't seal the ends together well enough, so the almond paste I used in the middle melted and ran out and looked all gross. So no pictures of the finished loaf (also, I forgot, and cut it up and wrapped it up). Here's a piece of it though:

2063763021_4f84707ac6.jpg

EDIT: I took another picture:

2066645985_fd2c309e1a.jpg

Edited by eskay (log)

Kate

Has anyone tried the Fresh Quark Stollen from Alford & Duguid's Home Baking? It looks very moist and tender in the book's photo. The authors note that nearly all the bakeries in Ulm, Germany were selling this version of stollen.

Need help

I am going to try to make Thomas Haas recipe for Stollen but I am not sure how to make pastry flour from his weights, because I cannot find pastry flour in the store.

His recipe calls for 350gr of pastry flour, 350gr cake flour and 350gr of bread flour

Also his recipe calls for 300gr almond paste 66% fruit. I have the Odense version of almond paste but I didn't know that almond has a percentage of fruit.

It also calls for 70 gr of fresh yeast. What can I use instead of fresh yeast?

My market doesn't carry fresh yeast, just packaged.

Edited by oli (log)

So let's back up. You're NOT going to make Thomas Haas' recipe :raz:

Sorry, that wasn't helpful was it. HERE'S you info on pastry flour.

HERE'S some info on almond paste.

And HERE'S yeast.

Hope this all helps. Good luck with the Oli Stollen recipe!

So let's back up.  You're NOT going to make Thomas Haas' recipe  :raz:

Sorry, that wasn't helpful was it.  HERE'S you info on pastry flour.

And HERE'S yeast.

Hope this all helps.  Good luck with the Oli Stollen recipe!

Thanks for the tips. Since I am not a bread maker, how do I know what size break pans to use. I've halved the recipe to see if I like enough to make it again.

• 2 weeks later...
So let's back up.  You're NOT going to make Thomas Haas' recipe  :raz:

Sorry, that wasn't helpful was it.  HERE'S you info on pastry flour.

And HERE'S yeast.

Hope this all helps.  Good luck with the Oli Stollen recipe!

I am halving the recipe, and I noticed when I halve the original recipe which calls for 30 grams of yolks, I am left with 15 grams which is 1 egg yolk.

Will the recipe work with just 1 egg yolk.?

I like to provide a bit of Info about the Stollen issue.

I am a Heini, Sachse, Leipziger from way back.

When growing up there, I never recall my family, and or friends and neighbors ever baking Stollen at home.

To me, as related by my Grandmother, the perfect Stollen could only be made in "larger" quantities. So , our Stollen at Christmas always came from the neighborhood Baker. (never a factory, and I think they did not exist then either)

Now, there were definitely variations between Bakers, as skimping of quality ingredients often played part, resulting also in pricing competition.

Claim to the best made Stollen was made by the Bakers of Dresden, as History states this was the area 600 years ago were this product became to be known.

Please find the attached URL as an official site ( it's in English )

http://www.dresdnerstollen.com/english/e_index.htm

By the way, as posted in 'Kitchen Consumer #1502885', I prefer the Stollen from Cafe Kreuzkamm http://www.kreutzkamm.de/

Peter

• 3 weeks later...