• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Bistrot du Coin

sweetfreak

And I know this point has already been made here, but have you ever seen BdC closed? Only once have I actually see the lights off there, but that was the same day that the lady with the "I love Nerds" shirt flashed her chest. I think the lighting was appropriate then...

Please.

I am chuckling here...

Edited by morela (log)

And I know this point has already been made here, but have you ever seen BdC closed?  Only once have I actually see the lights off there, but that was the same day that the lady with the "I love Nerds" shirt flashed her chest.  I think the lighting was appropriate then...

As a nerd, I would like to add my enthusiastic support for Bistrot du Coin.

Matt Robinson

Prep for dinner service, prep for life! A Blog

The reason that the restaurant people are, as you say, falling down to defend BdC is not that the red carpet is being rolled out the second one of us walks in; if anything, the male members of that dysfunctional group get an extra helping of profanity on their hanger steaks. And coming from behind the host stand, let me tell you that you never get superspecial service by announcing yourself as a big wig. If you have to introduce yourself, you are probably not that special anyway.

It's just that BdC had, personally, been good to me on many occasions. Not by way of fabulous food, not by way of precious service, but by way of providing a comfortable, pressure-free environment. Such as letting me sit at the bar on Sunday night with a friend long after closing time as Michel and Co. tipped out and started their poker game - just because we didn't feel like wrapping the conversation just yet. Such as letting me yell Russian jokes to a waitress across the room. Such as providing a place where I can let loose and get silly outside of the rules that govern behavior of young ladies in public places, and feel completely comfortable doing it. This is why I, personally, feel the urge to support the joint. And getting serviceable food after 11 pm doesn't hurt, either. Fero, I'm sorry you had a bad experience, I am not negating what you said at all. Give them another chance, maybe?

Resident Twizzlebum

My wife and I would often go in on Sunday mornings after we finished shopping the Dupont market. They were always very friendly to us and the worst I could ever call their service would be "acceptable." A cheese plate, tartines, mussels, a bottle of wine, water and bread refilled as necessary....everything was fine. Perhaps our mileage varies because of the day/time we're there?

Perhaps our mileage varies because of the day/time we're there?

Either that, or they've been lurking here and have decided that they had better get their act together :laugh::laugh::laugh:

Love,

Mr. Roger Troutman, who enjoys food and beverages.

CHAIR, INTERNATIONAL DINING RESEARCH INSTITUTE

WASHINGTON, D.C.

Perhaps our mileage varies because of the day/time we're there?

Either that, or they've been lurking here and have decided that they had better get their act together :laugh::laugh::laugh:

That's a good one.

Firefly Restaurant

Washington, DC

Not the body of a man from earth, not the face of the one you love

Hmmmm. Every year I take 6-8 people out to dinner who are in Washington, DC for a special program. They are staying at Jury's on Dupont Circle and I've got two hours or so to get them to dinner, eat, and back to Jury's again. In thinking about where to go the first year, I checked out BdC on the suggestion of a friend. I just stopped by one afternoon, ordered a snack and a glass of wine at the bar and studied the menu.

I chatted a bit with the bar staff, who were VERY nice and helpful, and was then introduced to Yannis. To make a long story short, Yannis helped me select a special menu for my guests and wines to go with it. When I brought my guests, our table was ready to go, with menus especially printed with our selections. BTW, I only did this for two reasons. One was just to save a bit of time by narrowing options a bit, still with a choice of five starters, five entrees, three salads, cheese, and five desserts. The other was to leave the prices off. The service was great and everyone we've been back every year since. One year I showed up with two extra people who were added to my party at the last moment. They were very gracious about including them with no fuss or attitude.

A week or so before each dinner, I show up at the bar and we go through the same routine. No one knows me, I'm not a VIP. They don't seem to remember me from year to year. Well, maybe Yannis does. Anyway, it works for me and when we return to the hotel and the groups mix, I'm always complimented on my choice of restaurant and it is favourably compared with the places other alumni select.

One year I showed up with two extra people who were added to my party at the last moment. They were very gracious about including them with no fuss or attitude.

I really like the seating policy and capabilities there. You're right, the place is absolutely accommodating as a party grows, popping up tables, putting a few together. In that respect, the place stands alone.

On the same token, Bistrot du Coin is very good about seating partially arrived parties at any hour, any day of the week. There's a lot to be said for not being dragged to the bar or forced to stand up front in the bright light (even for ten minutes).

And as someone who has been in the position of declining a party their seat because only half have arrived, I understand the policy (well, in fine dining, at least)...but not having to see any of that strategic seating shit is one of my favorite things about BDC. It feels French, I guess. Un-OpenTable, if you know what I mean...

• 2 weeks later...

I've been to BdC several times and I've always enjoyed myself there. Their wine stems generally suck, but sometimes they will bring out the better stemware if you ask real nice. The food is enjoyable but I will agree that the service leaves a bit to be desired. But I always do seem to have a good time whenever I go there. Their cassoulet is pretty good, but sometimes they serve it too hot.

• 2 weeks later...

I was in here last Monday, had a couple of cheapo ($15) carafes of Cotes du Rhone, sat at the bar and smoked a big cigar. Met some people, and had a great time. BTW, had the foie gras (pretty good0, the charcuterier plate (necessary to absorb the wine), the cheese plate (fairly stinky), and the duck confit (outstanding!) Always a great time, always meet interesting people, and the bartenders are great! Go!

bdc provides two major nececities (somebody please get me a pocket dictionary): Beer and friends. Without one I would be lost and without the other I would be a miserable prick. See you all Saturday night!!

Craig

On the same token, Bistrot du Coin is very good about seating partially arrived parties at any hour, any day of the week.

I called this afternoon to make a reservation for next Wednesday evening. A party of 9 at 7 p.m. I was explicitly told that all members of the party must be present and be no later than 10 minutes or we'd lose our table!

Maybe they expect it to be busy because it's inauguration eve, not sure. I need somewhere that can accomodate all nine of us, and this seemed like a good place. Still, no one wants to take a crapshoot on whether they'll enjoy the food.

I've seen repeat mentions here of the mussles, steak and frites, and duck confit. I actually eyed all of those on the menu before reading this thread, but is there anything else I should consider? I'd hate to have my entire meal planned over a week in advance. No excitement in that.

On the same token, Bistrot du Coin is very good about seating partially arrived parties at any hour, any day of the week.

I've seen repeat mentions here of the mussles, steak and frites, and duck confit. I actually eyed all of those on the menu before reading this thread, but is there anything else I should consider? I'd hate to have my entire meal planned over a week in advance. No excitement in that.

I much prefer the onglet or the filet to the steak frites which, in traditional fashion, is made with a rump steak or some other less-tasty chunk of meat. I'm also a fan the the Bouche a la Reine which ibvolves chicken, sweetbreads and mushrooms. The cassoulet is uneven, but always tasty.

I'm on the pavement

Thinking about the government.

• 2 weeks later...

Ok, made the inaugural (no pun intended) visit last night to BDC in a party of 8. We were treated well from start to finish. The place was busy but not crazy. I walked in and gave them my name and they politely told me that some members of the party had already arrived and were waiting at the bar.

After some drinks they seated us even though one member was missing. Service was friendly and if rude, only playfully rude. One of our guests asked to have the specials repeated and the waiter said he should ask the table since there were 8 people, everyone should have remembered something. But the waiter came back less than a minute later and said if we promised not to tell anyone he did so, he would repeat the specials.

Note to first timers, the food can get real rich, real quick on you there. I had two glasses of wine, an order of mussels, a steak maison with bearnaise and a creme brulee. This was also after going two months with no alcohol. It was touch and go for a minute as to whether or not my stomach would actually explode.

But in the end all were happy. I'll be back soon to try some more interesting dishes. I had my first taste of escargot and the busboy-mentioned sweetbread dish and they were terrific.

Note to first timers, the food can get real rich, real quick on you there. I had two glasses of wine, an order of mussels, a steak maison with bearnaise and a creme brulee. This was also after going two months with no alcohol. It was touch and go for a minute as to whether or not my stomach would actually explode.

I'm glad you had a great time at BDC. One note of caution -- you and your liver should be in full fighting form to make most of this fine establishment. You cannot run a marathon the first day you decide to get in shape!!!!! Build up!!!

"Whenever someone asks me if I want water with my Scotch, I say, 'I'm thirsty, not dirty' ". Joe E. Lewis

I'm glad you had a great time at BDC. One note of caution -- you and your liver should be in full fighting form to make most of this fine establishment. You cannot run a marathon the first day you decide to get in shape!!!!! Build up!!!

I too enjoyed my first ever visit to BDC: fabulous mussels, perfect roast chicken and one dandy cassoulet. Decent apple tart too.

Rich Pawlak

Reporter, The Trentonian

Feature Writer, INSIDE Magazine
Food Writer At Large

MY BLOG: THE OMNIVORE

"In Cerveza et Pizza Veritas"

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...

Had a lovely lunch today with 3/4 of the Busboys, Bond Girl, and friend :wink: . Stated with a Negroni, then on to onion soup, onglet with frites and salad, and Mirabelle eau de vie for dessert. The soup was very cheesy. Onglet was exactly medium rare as requested and the shallot sauce on the side was superfluous. Frites were uneven but tasty, salad was simply dressed butter lettuce and needed with the rich beef.

I will let Charles chime in with the name of the wine since I am not recalling it right now. It was lemony with a strong mineral taste - exactly what I love in a French white.

Today might have been a good day for steak tartare but my stomach wasn't up for raw meat. Next time.

Our waiter seemed a little overwhelmed by his responsibilities.

Good meal, even better company. :smile:

Heather Johnson

In Good Thyme

Yeah, the waiter seemed to be having an off day, and Bond Girl got all New York-y on the kitchen for microwaving a tart, rather than warming it in the oven. I was waiting for a classic BdC confrontation, but they just took it off the check. word on the street is: don't mess with BD's sweets.

A good solid meal, though. I am developing a taste for their Lotte Americain. Never having had it anywhere else I assume that the bisque-ish sauce and the crawdad garnish are standard for the dish; they are excellent, especially when sopped up with the barley side after the fish is finished.

I am hesitant to post this, as I am afraid that you'll drink up my wine, but they have a list of six or eight knockout wines at very good prices. I hope Slater will weigh in on the price/value ratio here but Opus One, La Mission Haut Brion for $150 and other very serious stuff for less, down to our crisp, almost Chablis-ish, Jadot Savigny-les-Beaune (les Guettes, I think) for $30 -- wine shop prices in a restaurant, in other words. Drink up, my friends.

I'm on the pavement

Thinking about the government.