• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

I Scream, You Scream.....

Tonyy13

In the Middle East they make the most amazing ice cream, including almond made with fresh almonds and unsusal milk or cheese flavors. Check out Claudia Fleming's "The Last Course" for good ideas.

Fresh Almond

Basil or Tarragon

Brandied-Fig

Cream Cheese

Fresh Milk

Kiwi

Prune-Armagnac

Nutmeg/clove

Eggnog

Red Bean

Pinenut

Black sesame

White sesame

Adzuki beans

Glad to hear that someone likes durian gelato - one of my favourite flavours.

Strawberries + balsamic vinegar is a fantastic combination; I've made it a couple of times.

Mango + passionfruit is another personal favourite combination.

I once had a vanilla-jalapeno ice cream in a restaurant in Colorado. Interesting with bursts of heat.

Two flavors I love to make which are not 'way' out there, but not very common:

ricotta ice cream

pear ice cream

Someone else mentioned basil above; I had a great thai basil ice cream once; it was served with dark chocolate shavings on top-- very good. Maybe a thai basil chocolate chip ice cream would be nice....

I've made 'home made' chocolate chip ice cream by drizzlilng in melted chocolate while stirring/freezing the ice cream. (This is great with cinnamon ice cream as well).

"Under the dusty almond trees, ... stalls were set up which sold banana liquor, rolls, blood puddings, chopped fried meat, meat pies, sausage, yucca breads, crullers, buns, corn breads, puff pastes, longanizas, tripes, coconut nougats, rum toddies, along with all sorts of trifles, gewgaws, trinkets, and knickknacks, and cockfights and lottery tickets."

-- Gabriel Garcia Marquez, 1962 "Big Mama's Funeral"

I made a tuaca ice cream with a blackberry sauce...it rocked.

I want to try an Alfredo ice cream paired with something for an app. Probably summer seasonal though.

Sweet Tea sorbet is another on my list.

The grapefruit is killer right now for sorbet.

Hefe-wiesen (sp) sorbet

How about Red bull and vodka

I digress

Gula Melaka is palm sugar, and it's delicious.

I've had prune armagnac ice cream at Bouley and loved it. How would a calvados ice cream be? I'll bet it would be good! And if you need any fruit in it, how about caramelized or stewed apples?

Among the flavors served at the Chinatown Ice Cream Factory are mango, pineapple, coconut, lychee, ginger, taro, red bean, and mango-papaya. All of those are good.

Michael aka "Pan"

There is one that I recommend to Ben and Jerry's but they didn't bite...

Green Tea with Crystalized Ginger bits

That's funny.... it is the exact same flavor that I suggested to them! I really wish that they would start making it. I think it'd be fairly popular.

Misa

Sweet Misa

I suggested to B&J's a lemon ice cream with candied lemon, marshmallow ribbon & shortbread pieces -- ie. a lemon meringue pie i.c.

But how about: melon & port, or pumpkin sage??

Luscious smell like love

Essential black milk worship

It whispers to me...

...Chocolate

Gula Melaka is palm sugar, and it's delicious.

I've had prune armagnac ice cream at Bouley and loved it. How would a calvados ice cream be? I'll bet it would be good! And if you need any fruit in it, how about caramelized or stewed apples?

Among the flavors served at the Chinatown Ice Cream Factory are mango, pineapple, coconut, lychee, ginger, taro, red bean, and mango-papaya. All of those are good.

I love the Chinatown Ice Cream Factory!!! An ex girlfriend of mine (who happened to be cantonese) brought me to it and it was the first time that I had green tea ice cream, now I am hooked, I order it wherever I see it. You guys have definately given me some cool ideas that I want to try w/ my kids, thank you. I do have a problem though with ice creams that have swirls and chunks of things in it, becuase of the way the paco-jet works. What you do with the machine is freeze solid whatever base you want to make, with no chunks in it or anything. Then the next day (have to have good mise en place for this machine), you place it in the machine, where a hydrolic arm pushes down a blade that is spinnign at 1500 rpm, shaving microscopic layers, and incorporating air . So, in order to place something with chunks in it, you have to spin the ice cream or sorbet, and then stir them in, but the next day, when the ice cream is too hard to scoop, so you spin it again, it purees whatever the chunks used to be. So, can you see my problem????

Tonyy13

Owner, Big Wheel Provisions

tony_adams@mac.com

I recently made fig-port with mint and thyme honey. The four flavors work well together (thanks to Culinary Artistry, my muse!), so if you don't want chunks you could infuse the ice cream with fig extract without the fruity bits, and then use the other 3 flavors in varying amounts. In mine I couldn't taste the mint very much, but the honey flavor was very nice.

Despite using milk and half & half as a base rather than cream, the resulting product is VERY rich so small portions are actually achievable. :biggrin:

Andrea

http://tenacity.net

"You can't taste the beauty and energy of the Earth in a Twinkie." - Astrid Alauda

---------------------------------------------------------------------

Food Lovers' Guide to Santa Fe, Albuquerque & Taos: OMG I wrote a book. Woo!

I must say that I am unfamiliar with a style mentioned on this topic.... (this is a very hard thing for a chef to admit, so please, someone console me!!)

1)kulfi style

Does this refer to teh ingredients? What is the ethnic origin?

Tonyy13

Owner, Big Wheel Provisions

tony_adams@mac.com

well i really like tofu ice cream it has a very light and clean flavour it actually tastes like a healthy ice cream.

Wasabi ice cream is yummy and very strange if you never tried it before its not actually hot just a touch of wasabi.

Cardamon ice cream is lovely too.

hmmm.. what other flavours?

oh yes Tonka bean ice cream its very aromatic like very strong vanilla its really nice but its carcinogenic :raz:

oh if you want to make the above flavours just get your normal ice cream base and mix in a shot of milk and a teaspoon of wasabi powder,

or a shot of pureed tofu and soya milk,

boil a shot of milk and a few cardamon seed and allow to infuse.

all nice and different :)

Edited by origamicrane (log)

"so tell me how do you bone a chicken?"

"tastes so good makes you want to slap your mamma!!"

My sister tried wasabi ice cream when she lived overseas in Asia. Apparently she loved it and is fairly upset she can't get it over here.

I've also heard of/seen beer ice cream (I'm sure it would go over quite well at a Superbowl party! :biggrin: ) and also garlic ice cream. However, I don't know if I would be able to eat those types of ice cream... I tend to like your more regularly flavored ice cream. (Although if given the chance I would probably try them...)

I've also heard of/seen beer ice cream (I'm sure it would go over quite well at a Superbowl party!  :biggrin: ) and also garlic ice cream.

I've yet to encounter beer-flavored ice cream, but I did try garlic ice cream once at the Gilroy Garlic Festival. The best I can say in its favor is that it was surprisingly acceptable for a one-time taste. It was basically vanilla ice cream plus raw garlic flavor. I wouldn't be too interested in trying it again.

Michael aka "Pan"

Ice cream. Gelato. Sorbetto. Isn't that kind of like a holy trinity?!

There's a place here in Vancouver that Martha Stewart visited during a pre-jail stopover: La Casa Gelato. Of its 500+ flavours, it usually has 208 available for purchase each day. Not the best gelato in town -- that title goes to Mondo Gelato, IMHO, which also has an outlet in Rome -- but certainly the most original flavours. Basil and pernod, pear and gorgonzola, pink cactus fruit (I've always wondered if they mean dragonfruit), curry, ginger, ginger chocolate, garlic, balsamic vinegar, Jack Daniels, lavender, chili pepper and dark chocolate, kimchi and chanterelle. The list goes on and on. Mondo Gelato's guava flavour ranks as one of my favourites; its fragrance alone makes my mouth water. And Amato Gelato's mango/guava and mango/coconut are excellent combinations.

In thinking about Filipino ice cream flavours, I came up with langka (jackfruit), macapuno (young coconut), pinipig (toasted rice), mangosteen and ube (purple yam). What about starfruit? Or a kalamansi sorbetto as a palate cleanser?

Wish I could sample the fruits of your labours. Happy inventing!

Edited because gelato cravings apparently cause minor fits of incoherence.

Edited by Mooshmouse (log)

Joie Alvaro Kent

"I like rice. Rice is great if you're hungry and want 2,000 of something." ~ Mitch Hedberg