• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

I Scream, You Scream.....

Tonyy13

Anyone out there have any realistic cool ice cream flavors? My students and I are tired of the same old stuff, although, we have come up with a few cool ones:

Mexican Hot Chocolate (dark chocolate w/ cinnamon, star anise, allspice, nutmeg)

Granola (vanilla i.c. w/ granola folded in)

lavender honey

orange blossom honey

pommegranite sorbet

poppy seed i.c.

Champagne sorbet w/ strawberry compote

Wild Strawberry I.C. w/ 25 year balsmac

We are using a paco jet ice cream machine, so if there are items in it that aren't supposed to be smooth (i.e. the granola), than they have to be folded in. I am also not looking to do anything with candy bars or novelty items. LOoking for really cool sorbets, gelatos, semi-freddo, or ice creams. Any help would be great!!!!! Thanks so much in advance...

Tony

Tonyy13

Owner, Big Wheel Provisions

tony_adams@mac.com

Anyone out there have any realistic cool ice cream flavors?  My students and I are tired of the same old stuff, although, we have come up with a few cool ones:

Mexican Hot Chocolate (dark chocolate w/ cinnamon, star anise, allspice, nutmeg)

Granola (vanilla i.c. w/ granola folded in)

lavender honey

orange blossom honey

pommegranite sorbet

poppy seed i.c.

Champagne sorbet w/ strawberry compote

Wild Strawberry I.C. w/ 25 year balsmac

We are using a paco jet ice cream machine, so if there are items in it that aren't supposed to be smooth (i.e. the granola), than they have to be folded in.  I am also not looking to do anything with candy bars or novelty items.  LOoking for really cool sorbets, gelatos, semi-freddo, or ice creams.  Any help would be great!!!!!  Thanks so much in advance...

Tony

someone here was looking for an irish carbomb ice cream flavor recipe they wanted to experiment with. i thought that would be really good -

guiness flavored ice cream with a whiskey/irish creme swirl.

One interesting place to look: Capogiro Gelato thread from Philadelphia...

prune armagnac ice cream

chai ice cream

Edited by ludja (log)

"Under the dusty almond trees, ... stalls were set up which sold banana liquor, rolls, blood puddings, chopped fried meat, meat pies, sausage, yucca breads, crullers, buns, corn breads, puff pastes, longanizas, tripes, coconut nougats, rum toddies, along with all sorts of trifles, gewgaws, trinkets, and knickknacks, and cockfights and lottery tickets."

-- Gabriel Garcia Marquez, 1962 "Big Mama's Funeral"

I've recently had white pepper ice cream at a local restaurant. Really nice combination of creamy with a warm spiciness. Have had olive oil ice cream at Zaytinya in DC which was very nice and smooth with just a hint of olive.

A couple of flavors from the local ice cream places that might be worth a try: grape nut (similar to your granola, great salty crunch), burnt sugar (more intense than carmel), and malted vanilla.

Stephen Bunge

St Paul, MN

Once I had a fantastic  "Moscato d'Asti" ice cream.

Ooooh...that sounds heavenly....*drools*

There's corn ice cream and ubi ice cream in Hong Kong. They also have my favorite, banana nut.

At Gifford's, a local ice cream shop in Maryland, I tried the Swiss Chocolate for the first time last night. I'd never heard of it before and it was really good! Like whipped malted chocolate ice cream.

You guys are quick!!!! We have done the Chai, really nice if you like warm chai, but my the other chef in my class wasn't so hot on it, so it got passed on. Lemongrass Ginger has been done, so has the Corn ice cream, both with good results, the Corn ice cream being savory, rather than sweet, and being an amuse, rather than a dessert. Grapenut was my mom's favorite when I was a kid, and EVOO and White Pepper might be a little bit too much for some of our clientele to handle at the school, although they sound great for the restauarnt I am going to own someday. I also remembered a jalepeno chocolate ice cream that I once made when I was in school, and that came our really well too, give it a try, just roast the pepper, and puree them, comes out awesome.... Thanks, any more suggestions out there?????

Tonyy13

tony_adams@mac.com

I just did a ganache infused with Peet's Early Gray with Lavender, which has a nice smokiness to it. It would probably be a great ice cream flavor as well (chocolate earl gray).

Chocolate port gelato?

"I just hate health food"--Julia Child

Jennifer Garner

buttercream pastries

Ginger and basil are two good suggestions-- in fact, those may be my favorite flavors of ice cream along with bourbon-vanilla.

I was just in Oaxaca, where the ice cream is outrageously good (sorta like gelato, but slightly different texture). Some unusual flavors:

Mezcal/Tequila (should've tried this)

Burnt Milk (Leche Quemadas-- more like 'smoked' milk... this is an acquired taste)

Prickly Pear Cactus (good stuff-- I had a mousse made with it too)

Roasted Plantain

Canela (Mexican cinnamon-- makes a really good ice cream flavor)

Rose Petal

Chris Sadler

Have you done any sort of chocolate hazelnut flavored ice cream? Maybe something that incorporates Nutella? Chocolate Hazelnut With a White Chocolate Ganache swirled through it?

Another combo that might be good is Dark Chocolate Ancho with chunks of biscochito cookies.

Maybe this is very regular ice cream and not new and exciting but I really have enjoyed Lemon Almond Ice Cream (based on a recipe named something like Lotus ice cream from the NY times). It is very very lemon-y, and the combination of the lemon and the almond really makes for an interesting twist on the normal sweet flavor.

edit for typO.

Edited by crouching tyler (log)

Robin Tyler McWaters

Several months ago I had a chance to taste Dewar's flavored ice cream. I thought it was pretty outstanding. I think bourbon, with it's caramel flavors would work as well.

"Some people see a sheet of seaweed and want to be wrapped in it. I want to see it around a piece of fish."-- William Grimes

"People are bastard-coated bastards, with bastard filling." - Dr. Cox on Scrubs

The best fish restaurant in Israel, Uri Burri makes all of their ice creams and sorbets. I had two amazing ice creams there, clove and date/walnut.

What about Christmas Pudding flavor - Candied lemon peel, orange peel, rum soaked raisins, nutmeg, ginger, cinnamon, etc with a swirl of brandy hardsauce. Could be interesting.

White Chocolate-Tequila ice cream with chili pepper.

Edited by Swisskaese (log)

bacon

�As I ate the oysters with their strong taste of the sea and their faint metallic taste that the cold white wine washed away, leaving only the sea taste and the succulent texture, and as I drank their cold liquid from each shell and washed it down with the crisp taste of the wine, I lost the empty feeling and began to be happy, and to make plans.� - Ernest Hemingway, in �A Moveable Feast�

Brooklyn, NY, USA

bacon

... Well, I guess a cool flavor for a savory ice cream, kind of like a hearty carbonara or something like that.....

As far as my game is concerned, I am pretty on my game, my students though, sometimes aren't there, and they wouldn't be able to get over the smell....ignorance.....

Tonyy13

tony_adams@mac.com