• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Norfolk, VA

Check out mine and other local experts opinions on the area by following the link at the end.

However, I would *highly* suggest you make the time to visit Cracker's (tapas style, big fun, cool atmosphere), Uncle Louie's (recently suggested to me by a friend, but highly recommended:  cheap, small, good), or Rom Thai.  Good luck!

http://home.digitalcity.com/hamptonroads/localexperts/profile.dci?screenName=Tsentsek

I ate at a very good seafood place there about ten years ago, but I don't remember the name. May have had the word crab in it. Glad to be of help.

Steven A. Shaw aka "Fat Guy"
Co-founder, Society for Culinary Arts & Letters, sshaw@egstaff.org
Proud signatory to the eG Ethics code
Director, New Media Studies, International Culinary Center (take my food-blogging course)

I haven't eaten there, but have heard of the Blue Crab Raw Bar & Grill.  Apparently fairly unassuming from the exterior,  the dining room is purported to hold some of the best local seafood available.

Let us know where you go to, and what you think!  

• 1 year later...

Well, I wasn't there, so I can't really offer a review. But my wife ended up a place called Todd Jurich's Bistro in dowtown Norfolk (210 W York St Norfolk VA (757) 622-3210). (It soon moves to 100 Main Street.)

She reports that she had an oustanding meal.

Its a pretty fancy place (I think she mentioned foie gras.) She ate at the bar and met some cool people and sort of overdid it on port purchases (She spent $100); but, I get the sense that even if you were more moderate, you're looking at 75 bucks a person (wine, tax, tip included).

The people she met all claimed it was the best restaurant in Norfolk (if not the entire Tidewater area.)

It's current site is small--10 tables or so + bar. It was filled on the Wednesday night she went.

Basically, she loved the place.

• 3 years later...

I thought I'd bump this thread to add a restaurant from my trip about a week ago. We dined at 456 Fish, on the "Martini Strip" otherwise known as Granby Street downtown. It was solid seafood offerings in a somewhat see and be seen setting, but they still had highchairs (lucky us!). The only downpoint was that the waiter completely forgot that we'd ordered appetizers, so they were a little later than they might have been.

Bardo is still happening (from what my sources there tell me) in the neighborhood of Ghent, though we didn't make it there this trip.

Bridget Avila

My Blog

Todd Jurich is the is the first Chef I had the priveledge to work under over ten years ago. His cuisine is as fresh now as it was then, and his restaurant is not to be missed. He recently moved to a new downtown location. Hope this helps....

Graham Elliot

@grahamelliot

www.grahamelliot.com