• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

New Kitchenaid dough hook design

Scotty O

Has anyone used the spiral dough hook that comes with the new KA stand mixers? Win, lose or draw over the old C-hook design? Seems like it might be quieter since it looks like it would slap the dough against the bowl a little less.

I haven't seen it yet, but if it a) kneads the dough, instead of just spinning it around the bowl; and b) keeps the damned dough from climbing all the way up onto the machine; I'm all for it!

Eagerly await any first-person feedback on the subject...

“Who loves a garden, loves a greenhouse too.” - William Cowper, The Task, Book Three

"Not knowing the scope of your own ignorance is part of the human condition...The first rule of the Dunning-Kruger club is you don’t know you’re a member of the Dunning-Kruger club.” - psychologist David Dunning

Looking at the KA web site, the spiral dough hook is only available for the bowl-lift models, not the tilt-head models. But I would love to hear from someone with first-hand experience.

"I just hate health food"--Julia Child

Jennifer Garner

buttercream pastries

Picture

Here is a picture. The website doesn't have any info on ordering one as a replacement for the old design--just "Contact Dealer"

It does say that the new design allows the mixer to knead 25% more dough than the older hooks.

EDIT: Sonofabitch.

The spiral dough hook is included in the newest version of the 6 qt mixer, the Pro600. If you have a "c" shaped hook and are interested in using the spiral instead..that would be a "no no" Only the Professional 600 and the Professional HD, Professional 5 PLUS, can utilize the Spiral Hook.You'd find the internal gearing is not designed to handle the extra pressure the vertical kneading process puts on the mixer. If you want to make sure, feel free to call our Customer Service Center where we can verify the manufacture date and assure you of whether or not you can use the spiral.
Edited by Scotty O (log)

Yep, that's a mini version of the dough hooks that I've used a lot on Hobarts and other types of bread mixers. I loved that style of hook....you can see as it moves the dough around in the mixer, that it is a more thorough knead. I'm sure the mini version is just as good.

OF COURSE it won't fit on older models.....this is just a great new way to sell more KitchenAids!

Brilliant!

I have a KA with the spiral hook and I am pleased to report that it works ok (Keep in mind that I don’t have the old style with which to compare)...

But unfortunately…the dough still climbs on the hook if you don’t oil it and it does have a tendency to just spin the dough around. Other than that it works just great.

I have a Pro 600 that's about 6 months old. From what's written upthread it looks like I should be able to use the new one. Anyone had experience with both?

Barbara Laidlaw aka "Jake"

Good friends help you move, real friends help you move bodies.

I have the new model with the new dough hook---as well as my old 5-qt with the old style. I have to say I was a bit skeptical of the new design at first but after running through some of my usual bread recipes it seems to work better. The dough doesn't tend to climb up the hook as much and it seems to me that it mixes it faster and more thoroughly. Like I said, I was skeptical at first but now I do think it's better.