• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Good Quality Lowbrow

Malawry

I used to love the Washington Post "Crummy but Good" column in the Food section, and was sorry when they axed it. Yes, some of the places they listed (the crappy Chinese place that's got a location by Vidalia, the Waffle Shop near Ford's Theatre) were really beyond crummy and not good at all. Still, I like reading about places to get a good meal on the cheap...whatever your definition of "good" would be.

I'll go ahead and state the obvious example: I adore Ben's Chili Bowl on U. Every time I've gone there I've felt welcomed. They have one of the best vegetarian burgers in town, and I understand their chili smokes are legendary. And I really dig their chile-rich vegetarian chili. Plus they're convenient to some of the clubs I like to visit.

I also like "highbrow-lowbrow" food, excellent versions of ordinary meals. Have you ever tried the fried fish sammich at Bread Line? Brioche bun with battered cod and house-made slaw with pickled red onion. Mmm mmm good.

In that vein, I'm interested in learning about what you think makes for really good "lowbrow" food around DC. Where do you like to go?

• 2 weeks later...

The best food, regardless of price, must be the rotisserie chicken at Edy's in Alexandria.  It's located just west of 395 on King Street.  This place is cheap and has the best rotisserie chicken I have ever had.  The white quarter chicken is their best cut.  Juiciest white meat I've ever had, consistently.  For $4.50 you get a quarter chicken (specify white or dark with no difference in price), a salad, and fries or yuca. (You also get a choice of potato salad which I would definitely pass on.)  You can't beat that.  If you get an extra white sauce and an Inca Cola, you're there for $6 even.  Better enjoy the wait.  There are ALWAYS crowds of locals.

China King next to Vidalia was listed in the Post (presumably) for it's 'low-prices-to-high-meat-content' ratio.  For less than 5 bucks you get a meaty chinese meal and unlimited use of the water cooler.  It's chinese takeout, what else do you want?

I've always skipped the Waffle Shop by Ford's Theatre for Ollie's Trolley a few blocks away.  Great burgers, fries and onion rings.  Surprisingly a bit on the pricey side.  I think you'll have to drop 6 bucks and some change for the burger, fries and a drink.

Carribean Grill on Lee Highway in Arlington is cheap enough.  Pass on the jerked chicken and get anything with pork, preferably the ropa vieja.  Make sure yo get them in sandwich form which gets you a good portion with a baguette toasted by one of those heavy iron machines which end up flattening the bread as it is heated up.  Skip the sides, none are worth getting.  You could get out of there for less than $6 without a drink.

Then there are the standards, Five Guys, Ben's Chili Bowl, Bob & Edith's Diner, and a few others.

Get some Edy's, you'll thank me later.

Oh I have such memories of Bob & Edith's, from my time in D.C. a decade and change ago.  Back then it was really something... and I'm hoping that it's out-of-the-way-ness kept it from getting touristy.

Jon Lurie, aka "jhlurie"

China King next to Vidalia was listed in the Post (presumably) for it's 'low-prices-to-high-meat-content' ratio.  For less than 5 bucks you get a meaty chinese meal and unlimited use of the water cooler.  It's chinese takeout, what else do you want?

I've always skipped the Waffle Shop by Ford's Theatre for Ollie's Trolley a few blocks away.  Great burgers, fries and onion rings.  Surprisingly a bit on the pricey side.  I think you'll have to drop 6 bucks and some change for the burger, fries and a drink.

Dude, China King is nasty. I work a half a block from there and I only "ate" there once. Granted I don't eat meat, so maybe I missed the allure, but nobody I work with has had anything they considered worth returning for either.

I second the fries at Ollie's Trolley. I used to work in the FBI building as a contractor, and I got those fries for lunch every now and then. Something in the coating is addictive.

I've never been to Bob n Edith's...I live in Maryland and work in DC, and am rarely in Arlington at diner-y hours. What makes it so good?

BOB & EDITHS is good because one is usually there at 2am already in the bag. It's good because in fierce Redskin country they proudly sport a poster of the 1977 Dallas Cowboys.

And it's good because they serve real short order diner food.

Also in Arlington is MARIOS sub shop on Wilson Blvd. (or was last time I checked) Enormous ribeye steak and cheese with sweet peppers.

(I feel a homesick road trip comin' on ...)

Malawry,

If you don't eat meat, then I really have no recommendations for you.  Dumpy places rarely excel at vegetarian cuisine.  China King is wonderful for hangovers, must be the grease.  The $4.50 is what keeps me coming back, although I prefer the Connecticut Avenue location north of Dupont.

Anyways, I don't care much for the Redskins or the Cowboys, but Bob & Ediths is a great short order diner that seems to be in relative short supply (I'm not sure if I have been there before 2AM).  If you don't eat meat, there isn't any reason to go.  

The only relatively inexpensive place for a non-meat-eater would be the Lebanese Taverna Market on Lee Highway in Arlington.  This place has the same stuff their high priced full service restaurant counterparts carry, at self serve prices.  The tabooleh and hummus are above average, but it's the $4.95 chicken shwarma that always gets me back.  If you ever think of cheating on your vegetarian diet, I'd cheat with Edy's then over to the Lebanese Taverna.

Let it be known that I too never saw Bob & Edith's in the light of day. 3AM-5AM were the most common times, with an occasional "early" visit between 2AM and 3AM.

I don't know why.. it's just the way at B&E.  Truckers, and people who live in that neighborhood, are apparently the only ones who have ever seen sunlight hit those walls.

The other "cheap but good" place I used to frequent (and you have to remember this was 10-12 years ago... it may not even exist anymore) was a place called "O'Briens Pit BBQ", out somewhere in Rockville, MD.

Jon Lurie, aka "jhlurie"

O'Brien's used to be in downtown Bethesda, good lowbrow ribs.  Lowbrow Bethesda though, it's gotta be the Tastee Diner (aka Club TD).  Hate China King...go to the Full Kee on H in Chinatown for lowbrow but good Chinese, especially noodle soups.  Havana Breeze on K at 14th next to DC Coast, great Cuban including, ahem, fabulous rotisserie chicken, and authentic veggie sides.  

Bob and Edith's, classic.  Christopher, I can't believe you know Mario's.  In high school, one of the boys lived right near that place.  We always used to stop there before crashing at his house after a night out.  The best part about it was the "apron o' toppings."  The Mario fellas used to wear these aprons with front pockets, you'd order a slice (always Sicilian) and they'd reach into the apron pockets for the pepperoni and mushrooms etc.  Also, you'd order a sausage slice and there would be this massive sausage patty sitting in the middle.  What a hilarious place for heat-on chow.  Mario? He loves us!

Georgetown Cafe on Wisconsin in upper G'Town for  cheap mediterranean.  Late night Au Pied de Cochon in G'Town (Is that place still around?)  George's subs off M across from the 4 Seasons in G'Town.  

El Tamarindo, Salvadoran/Mexican, bottom of Adams Morgue. Millie & Al's pizza (if you can even get in there these days) also in the Morgue.   Florida Avenue Grill for breakfast.  Tune Inn on the Hill for burgers & pitchers.  Anyone else remember Mr. Eagan's in Dupont?  

How low can you go?

Anyone else remember Mr. Eagan's in Dupont?  

I remember getting tossed out of Mr. Eagans with two friends.

Marios. Does anyone remember when they thought they could franchise and became Marinos? Their second location was the old Ginos down the way from B&Ediths. This idea lasted about a second and the returned, thankfully,  to just Marios

O'Brien's used to be in downtown Bethesda, good lowbrow ribs.  How low can you go?

If O'Brien's was anywhere other than Rockville, that was MORE than 12 years ago,  The address where (according to Yahoo Maps) it is now, is to my memory exactly where it was 12 years ago, the first time I was there--387 East Gude Drive.

Maybe there were two O'Brien's Pit BBQ's in that part of Maryland?

Jon Lurie, aka "jhlurie"

• 2 weeks later...

O'Briens is still around.  There is another location out in Sterling, VA.  Almost as far out of DC as their Rockville (very north Rockville) location.

There is a Marino's with a pizza even worse than Mario's in Alexandria.  I didn't know the two were associated, but now that you guys mention it, the quality (or lack thereof) is similar.  

Strangely enough, the best NY Style pizza you can get in the DC area is in Landmark Mall, right off of 395.  It's a place called Cosmo's and you have to tell them you want it hot, otherwise you typically get it lukewarm.  This is one of the few pizza places I have found that actually has garlic powder that you can sprinkle on.  You guys might think I'm crazy for suggesting a pizza place in a mall, but I tell you it's NY style pizza, by the slice!!!

As for Mr. Eagan's, I am still mourning that place.  What a great bar!  Free popcorn, consistently empty booths and a table top Ms Pac Man.  (Not to mention a dart board and an awesome pinball machine, I think it was called Carnival.)  It was one of the only real bars in DC, no themes, no gimmicks just good strong drinks at more than reasonable prices!

Speaking of malls, Valde, ever had Luciano's NY style in Tysons?  How does that compare for you?  It's typical NY style--meaning just very good--rather than great NY brick oven style--like Lombardi's.

Steve Klc

Pastry chef-Restaurant Consultant

Oyamel : Zaytinya : Cafe Atlantico : Jaleo

chef@pastryarts.com

• 2 years later...

The Washingtonian's cheap eats piece this month brought me back to this thread. I used to go to Marios and Bob and Edith's all the time when I was in college and living in Arlington (about 7 yrs ago). Another consistent favorite is El Pollo Rico, which moved locations in the last year, but is still rockin.' And I recently got back to the Italian Store on Lee Hwy for their capri sandwich--delicious as always.

Steve, if I'm remembering correctly I hit Luciano's many times as a mallrat teen in Fairfax--has it really been around since the early 90s? Survival in Tysons?

Any new favorites the Washingtonian missed?

Food is a convenient way for ordinary people to experience extraordinary pleasure, to live it up a bit.

-- William Grimes

Since I live in the burbs, these locations are convenient to me. Horace and Dickie's for good fried fish sandwiches. I go to the one on MLK Avenue in Southeast Washington, although there is one on H Street, N.E. For good subs and pizza, there is no where like Capitol Carryout on Branch Avenue in Temple Hills, Maryland. :raz::raz:

Edited by tastykimmie (log)

"look real nice...............wrapped up twice"

I have to agree with the Cosimos and Luciano recs. As a native Long Islander, those two are tops on my list. My other two choices, both in DC, are Beau Jollies (K & 15th) and Georgetown Bagelry (great pizza & bagels).

I am also a big Julia's Empanadas fan. Although not really lowbrow in my opinion, the healthy lunch deal gives you soup, small salad and an empanada for $6. Awesome!

Thanks for bumping this back up sara.

I gotta start by saying I hate Bob and Edith's - YUCK. Many better diners around. SS is crawling with them (Woodside, Parkway, Tastee).

Other low brow for me is from my days in Reston - Philly Mike's on Sunset Valley Drive in the strip mall with Champps. Best cheesesteak I've had around DC.

I also love the half smokes served from the truck at the Home Despot out Rt 29 (Colesville Rd.). Not to mention the crab truck that used to park in an empty field right on 29 just before the Home Depot turn.

Edited by JPW (log)

If someone writes a book about restaurants and nobody reads it, will it produce a 10 page thread?

Joe W

I like the $6.99 all you can eat lunch buffet (dine in and take out) at House of Kebob on Mst between 18th and 19th...right next door to Malaysia Koptium. It's kind of a mix between middle eastern and Indian. They always have samosas, a chickpea curry, spinach and potato, tandoori type chicken drumsticks, and a couple of daily specials. plus you get naan, although usually the naan is just ok.

On the Hill I like the burgers at Mr. Henry's, El Salvadorean take out at Tortilla Grill across the street from Eastern Market (their mixed papusa platter with plantains is excellent and all of $5), and the sandwiches and rotisserie chicken at Canales Deli inside the Market. Also DC Doughnuts in the Capitol Lounge makes some killer doughnuts.

Mr. Eagan's was a legendary place, perhaps one of the only bars in DC that served Thanksgiving dinner because their regulars didn't have anywhere else to go. The only thing good about Cafe Citron (which replaced Eagan's) is the happy hour mojitos (only during happy hour), a quick why to get your after work buzz going.

My ex-girlfriend and I used to like the cheap mexican food at Dancing Peppers, the nightly bar food specials at Shooter McGee's, as well as most of the food at La Casa Pizza all along on Duke Street near Landmark and the Cameron Station development.

O'Briens is still around.  There is another location out in Sterling, VA.  Almost as far out of DC as their Rockville (very north Rockville) location.

There is a Marino's with a pizza even worse than Mario's in Alexandria.  I didn't know the two were associated, but now that you guys mention it, the quality (or lack thereof) is similar.  

Strangely enough, the best NY Style pizza you can get in the DC area is in Landmark Mall, right off of 395.  It's a place called Cosmo's and you have to tell them you want it hot, otherwise you typically get it lukewarm.  This is one of the few pizza places I have found that actually has garlic powder that you can sprinkle on.  You guys might think I'm crazy for suggesting a pizza place in a mall, but I tell you it's NY style pizza, by the slice!!!

As for Mr. Eagan's, I am still mourning that place.  What a great bar!  Free popcorn, consistently empty booths and a table top Ms Pac Man.  (Not to mention a dart board and an awesome pinball machine, I think it was called Carnival.)  It was one of the only real bars in DC, no themes, no gimmicks just good strong drinks at more than reasonable prices!

I still remember the radio ad's Marino's did, it sounded like a marine drill Sergeant ordering you to go eat their pizza. I went in their once and when I points out a big cockroach crawling on the wall, the guy behind the counter smacked it with his pizza spatchula. I never went back.

Mr. Gerbik's Pizza, which was a Georgetown staple for years, had the finest low cost pizza around. A large pie was only $5. And I never ended up with food poisoning after enjoying a slice, EVER!

Love,

Mr. Roger Troutman, who enjoys food and beverages.

CHAIR, INTERNATIONAL DINING RESEARCH INSTITUTE

WASHINGTON, D.C.

There's this obscure, transporative, divine place nobody really knows about called Ben's Chili Bowl on U Street - but I've only gone there pretty shattered after a show at the 9:30 Club w/mandatory cocktail stop afterwards at the Velvet Lounge so I can't really be sure it exists except as a dream of redemption through sloppy, spicy, flourescent, greasy, booze soaking-up, incipient-hangover helping half-smokes and a juke box so jamming it must have been stocked by the Archangel Gabriel himself. Eat there enough and St. Peter will be sooner in your future than might otherwise have happened, too. And can that be all bad?

"Food is an essential part of a balanced diet."

Fran Lebowitz

Hmmm...divey but good?

El Charrito Caminante in Arlington is my TOP CHOICE, 2710 Washington Blvd(1/2 mile from Clarendon). No tables or chairs. two counters and some stools. they used to own a taco truck. But great tacos and cheap. I like the goat, beef, or chorizo tacos, and teh lorocco pupusas. And the counter guy is really nice. Plus the pupusas are made by hand to order.

Cafe Tirolo in Ballston (Arlington)...HIDDEN behind Tara Thai. You bus your own tables, but it is good affordible Italian and Austrian food. Very limited hours.Mon--friday 1130am-230pm and mon-thurs 5-9pm. I lean towards their Italian food. And the pear/almond tart is great. they were listed in Washingtonians cheap eats that just came out.

El Pollo Rico in VA Square (Arlington) area. amazing rotisserie chicken but they only have that...and 2 sides. they were in that same article. This is where the GMU law and grad students eat.

I would have said Churreria Madrid in DC, but they redid it, and it isn't a dive anymore, although it is still affordible. Was there the other night dunking churros in hot chocolate, and smelling other people's paella.

Joe's Noodle House in Rockville. :)

Myanmar (Burmese) in Falls Church.

-Jason

i heartily and highly recommend getting to know your local pupuseria. oddly enough, on every occasion that i've sampled one (in both the district milieu and purlieus) they [pupusas] consistently delight - not transport one to san salvador street vendors in a daydream of gustatory bliss but very delicious nonetheless. and ive never had an inedibly atrocious one. only a thought.

there is no love sincerer than the love of food

- george bernard shaw

i feel like love is in the kitchen with a culinary eye, think she's making something special and i'm smart enough to try

- interpol

I'm a big fan of the Tastee Diner location in Laurel. It's not really crummy-but-good, just kind of crummy, but the corned beef hash there is always cooked in big crisp-on-the-bottom-creamy-on-top slabs and the over-easy eggs always have lacy, crispy frizzled edges (which are just how I like those two things). Plus, no one blinks if I ask for maple syrup to put on my sausage.

PLUS, they always have a different 50's era Americam-history-themed activity place mat every time I go (connect 2,345 dots to complete a complicated scene depicting the beaches of Normandy on D-Day! Fill in all the State Capitals and the year of each state's admittance to the Union! If you can't, you're a Communist!)

There are good tamales and pupusas at the spanish market on 17th street, on the opposite side of the street from Komi. They're $1 each. I take them home and serve them with huevos rancheros for brunch or dinner.

Food is a convenient way for ordinary people to experience extraordinary pleasure, to live it up a bit.

-- William Grimes