• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Toronto E-Gulleters

GordonCooks

There seems to be a lot going on in Toronto lately - Didier's new joint, Marc Thuet opening a restaurant next to Susur on King, Bourdain's visit etc, etc.. yet I don't see that much discussion on a lot of these topics. Do most Torontonians hiberate during the cold weather?

Well, I just saw Anthony Bourdain last Saturday. He was quite funny. And my company (Lifford Wine Agency) sold Didier a bunch of wine for his new place, though they still don't have their liquor license yet. And the article in Toronto Life on Marc Thuet was interesting. But yeah, I guess I'm hibernating a bit...

:)

There seems to be a lot going on in Toronto lately - Didier's new joint, Marc Thuet opening a restaurant next to Susur on King, Bourdain's visit  etc, etc.. yet I don't see that much discussion on a lot of these topics. Do most Torontonians hiberate during the cold weather?

Hey, we wouldn't hibernate (as much) if we knew what was going on! How'd you learn all this from Rochester now that the ferry is kaput!! Erm, tell me more about Thuet's joint. Please?

And, Thanks for letting us Canucks in on the foodie faves (um, really- I think you know this town better than I do).

Cheers,

Geoff Ruby

There seems to be a lot going on in Toronto lately - Didier's new joint, Marc Thuet opening a restaurant next to Susur on King, Bourdain's visit  etc, etc.. yet I don't see that much discussion on a lot of these topics. Do most Torontonians hiberate during the cold weather?

Hey, we wouldn't hibernate (as much) if we knew what was going on! How'd you learn all this from Rochester now that the ferry is kaput!! Erm, tell me more about Thuet's joint. Please?

And, Thanks for letting us Canucks in on the foodie faves (um, really- I think you know this town better than I do).

Cheers,

Geoff Ruby

Toronto? I'd move there if I could afford it

I guess Thuet's place is next to Susur on King St. I can't remember the name (something italian sounding) I guess the cuisine will be Alsatian keeping to his roots. There is an article in this months Toronto life.

The article indicates that it may be called Thuet.

Another place I'm curious about is George, which was also discussed in the same Toronto Life issue. Lorenzo Loseto was apparently Susur's sous at Lotus, chef at Hemishpere's, and co-chef at Zoom and Rain.

Edited by Degustation (log)

Maybe it's too much and we need a pause to take it all in.

Or maybe you need to get together, brave the elements, and do enjoy everything your city has to offer! :wink: Malcolm, your jousting at the proposed sushi laws was nothing short of amazing. And it goes to show that the TO food crowd is one that can band together. Instead of everyone asking "why?", why doesn't somebody pick one of the many events and post the following:

I'm going.  Who's coming??

If you post it, they will come. :biggrin:

You guys had Oliver in town? Hell, I would have put on my Bourdain jacket and gone just to heckle the little wanker! Nigella? The possibilities are endless! And even if it's just a book signing, there's always Chinese or Indian food afterwards ... great for an eG nosh.

Have fun ... after all, these people all love food. How bad can they be?

A.

I was actually at all 3 signings. Jamie Oliver's not that bad, he seemed nice at the event. And I sorta learned cooking out of his book a year ago when I was still a clueless college student who moved out from residence to my own place. So I'm a little biased. :rolleyes:

Nigella was pretty hot for a 44-year-old mother of 2(?).......erm, I had no other reason for going. :biggrin:

but the best was Mr. Bourdain's thing. I think A.B.'s was the least 'celebrit-ish' event. Not in a bad way, but more in the sense he was more down to earth than J.O. & Nigella.

Anywayz, was just wondering if any1 knows about BMV bookshop next to World's Biggest Bookstore? They have cookbooks there real cheap! Saw Les Halles, Spoon Cookbook, Waverman & Chatto's Matter of Taste at REALLY discounted prices. They were all gone the next time I went though.

• 1 month later...
How does that store compare to the cookbook store on Yonge?

BMV is nothing like the Cookbook store. For one thing, they sell non-cookbooks. SOme of the books look like seconds to me. They sell adult magazines/books and comics too.

You can't beat the cookbook store for service and some of their sales are great.

Still, Ebay and Amazon can be a cheaper way to get cookbooks. Costco isn't bad, but their selection changes quickly and erratically.

Still, we must support our local bookshops or they will disappear, as Britnell's, the Children's Bookstore, and many others have done. Why should we put more money in Heather Reisman's pocket anyway (owner of Indigo Books / Chapters)? She has plenty enough as it is.

Mark

Edited by Librarian_chef (log)

Why should we put more money in Heather Reisman's pocket anyway? She has plenty enough as it is.

Mark

Ok, forgive my ignorance, is Heather the owner of Cookbook store? Personally, I prefer to buy my books thru amazon or ebay and have them shipped to my MI Po box. I go over there once a week, can throw them in my car and Im not subjected to 15% tax and the inflated exchange rate.

Im American btw, so all of my money is still in US dollars.

Why should we put more money in Heather Reisman's pocket anyway? She has plenty enough as it is.

Mark

Ok, forgive my ignorance, is Heather the owner of Cookbook store? Personally, I prefer to buy my books thru amazon or ebay and have them shipped to my MI Po box. I go over there once a week, can throw them in my car and Im not subjected to 15% tax and the inflated exchange rate.

Im American btw, so all of my money is still in US dollars.

No, Heather Reisman owns Chapters/Indigo Books and is the wife of the owner of Celestica.

I find the exchange rate at Amazon.ca to occasionally work in my favour, but I agree with you about the tax. However, its more of an issue of supporting the little business versus some warehouse in the middle of nowhere.

Mark

BMV is nothing like the Cookbook store. For one thing, they sell non-cookbooks. SOme of the books look like seconds to me. They sell adult magazines/books and comics too.

Granted, but you can't beat the prices! And most of the books I've bought look new to me. I check the store from time to time just in case a good deal comes along. It's mostly the really old titles that look like they're used. Also picked up quite a few good books from the discount book shop on Queen & Spadina. Sometimes it's just a slightly torn jacket and they slash prices from 40+ bucks to 10 (have 2 Marcella Hazan books cuz of this)!

I don't mind the Cookbook store, but they hardly ever have books on sale that I can afford...so I don't go there very often.

Same here! I like the cookbook store but using BMV, its sister store, (the discount one on queen and spadina is really good too! as are any of the stores on harbord and a new on on lakeshore near browns line) and the like are just too good. Plus the occasional gem from costco or sams club and failing all that ebay, amazon or the cookbook club.

I gotta save money somewhere if Im to afford all these books

I went to my first Winterlicious dinner this weekend. (Bruyea Brothers - reasonable, very good crême brûlée, the venison was rather dull, if tender). I have two more scheduled in the next week (Square, Pangaea), so that's my food adventure at the moment.

And I had a truly wonderful meal at Splendido last week.

I've clearly been paying very little attention to the media lately: I entirely missed advanced reports of all of the chef celebs passing through.

I'm going to Bymark for a private function on Friday. I've never actually been, so I'll report back

Marlene

Practice. Do it over. Get it right.

Mostly, I want people to be as happy eating my food as I am cooking it.

I'm going to Bymark for a private function on Friday. I've never actually been, so I'll report back

Look forward to your report, Marlene. I've been there a few times but not in the last 6 - 8 months. Always enjoyed it, though. Of course, you could smoke upstairs in the bar then... :shock::biggrin::shock:

Barbara Laidlaw aka "Jake"

Good friends help you move, real friends help you move bodies.

Look forward to your report, Marlene. I've been there a few times but not in the last 6 - 8 months. Always enjoyed it, though. Of course, you could smoke upstairs in the bar then... :shock::biggrin::shock:

What?! No more humidor? :sad:

Unless it's a separately ventillated room Gordon, it's not likely. Ruth Chris still has their smoking room but who knows for how long.

Marlene

Practice. Do it over. Get it right.

Mostly, I want people to be as happy eating my food as I am cooking it.

• 2 weeks later...