• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Latkes - the Topic!

Fat Guy

http://www.ku.edu/history/index/europe/anc...A*/Lucerna.html

http://www.fas.harvard.edu/~semitic/Cesnol...WaresLamps.html

http://www.unc.edu/courses/rometech/public...ht_in_rome.html

This last link at UNC is really interesting, it actually includes some lamp burning experiments.

oil lamp: What seemed so obvious to a writer in the mid-19c before electricity had now better be explained. Oil lamps are containers filled with some kind of oil, in which a cloth or rope wick is made to steep. The upper end of the wick is in the air: light it and the oil in it burns, giving off light. As the oil at the tip of the wick is used up, more is drawn up along the wick by capillary action, until the oil gives out. The wick too will eventually burn away to nothing, although it takes a surprisingly long time as long as you keep it soaked in oil.

To "turn off" the lamp, you can simply blow out the flame; but in an elegant household, you snuffed it out, either with a special snuffer, or, as in the first woodcut above, by putting its lid back on: you'll notice the chain is there so the lid doesn't get lost.

Petroleum was a rare curiosity in Antiquity, so the oils used for lamps, and just about everything else, were vegetable oils: in turn, that almost always meant olive oil, although luxury perfume oils must have been used occasionally.

The main type of fuel the Romans used was olive oil with salt added. Salt functioned to dry the oil and gave the light more of a yellow color. The salt may also have helped keep the oil from getting overheated. Castor oil was also used but it gave off a strong smell so that mainly the poor used it (Forbes 1965, p. 156). It is thought that any oil that was plentiful and not required for other purposes was used for fuel in lamps. If fish oil was abundant, then fish oil was used, or if an area had olive oil, then olive oil was used. The oils used were almost always edible, so that when food was scarce, so was light. In Colonial times any type of grease, scraps of fat, fish oil, or whale oil was used (Cooke 1972, p. 16).

Ok, I'm stupid. Carry on. I should learn by now not to post before lunchtime.

EDIT: other accounts I've googled seemed to indicate that animal fats were alsp popular as lamp fuel, as well as beeswax.

Jason Perlow, Co-Founder eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters

Foodies who Review South Florida (Facebook) | offthebroiler.com - Food Blog (archived) | View my food photos on Instagram

Twittter: @jperlow | Mastodon @jperlow@journa.host

I should point out I discuss Latkes in The Potato Primer

In particular I believe you should not add flour and or eggs. Some add these, but they are mistaken. I do not understand why people add the extra moisture in the egg, and then have to add flour or matzo meal to sop it up, which I think makes the texture insipid.

Wicks have been known since stone age times, and lamps using wicks are found in archeological excavations.

i559.jpg

http://jewishappleseed.org/apple/potatomenorah.htm

Decoupage Potato Menorahs! Sheik. Alhough I have to admit I like the Christmas Ornament Menorah, in an almost sacreligious way.

Jason Perlow, Co-Founder eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters

Foodies who Review South Florida (Facebook) | offthebroiler.com - Food Blog (archived) | View my food photos on Instagram

Twittter: @jperlow | Mastodon @jperlow@journa.host

Growing up, my Grandmother, z"l, who was a fine cook, made latkes with some regularity. They were the only thing she ever made that I could not abide. It wasn't until I went to NYU and tasted latkes at the B&H Dairy on 2nd Ave. that I learned latkes could be a religious experience! (My grandmother served them with maple syrup. A combination I still shudder recollecting! :wacko: )

If anyone here ate at the B&H in the 80's, you'll know why I tried my first -- because The Man behind the counter -- the one who used to take off his wooden leg and sit it next to your dinner plate -- INSISTED I would like one of HIS latkes. And he was right -- if not a bit scary and more than a bit endearing! And they were crisp, and savory, and, with a little sour cream, divine!

I'm digressing, but I would occasionally take girls I was dating to the B&H. The Man -- I never knew his name -- would take one look at my date, and if she didn't look Jewish, he would say things to her like "That's a nice boy you got there, Ma'am." or "You must have had this one when you were in your teens." But there were times when money was seriously tight when he would package food up on Friday as a gift to eat on Shabbat. And if I was ever depressed or lonely, it was like having a (verkachtah) family I could drop in on anytime. No girl I dated could understand my devotion to the restaurant. I guess you had to like eccentric short-order cooks and cabbage borscht in order to appreciate the place. It's still there, but it isn't the same. The Man is gone, z"l. They sell wheat grass juice out of the front window and they don't have cabbage borscht on eruv Shabbat anymore.

Anyway, back to the latkes.

For several years I cooked a latke feast for my synagogue. Latkes, homemade creme fraishe, bowls of salmon roe, and homemade applesauces -- one spiced and one raspberry. For 300 people. You can't imagine the amount of grease in the air, on the floor, in your hair, on your clothes -- EVERYWHERE! I was never happier than the day we decided to farm that particular event out to a caterer.

Now I grate my spuds with onion -- probably more onion than most people -- add egg, matzah meal, flat-leaf parsley, lots of salt and pepper, then fry them up in goose grease. Served with a bit of creme fraishe on the side -- THAT's eatin', my friend!

As they say in the South, where I come from, "Hag Sameach, Y'all!"

Aidan

"Ess! Ess! It's a mitzvah!"

What are oil menorah wicks made of?

The wicks we use are cotton coated with wax to make them stiff. The wicks get stuck into little discs made of cork that float on top of the oil -- there's hole in the middle of the disc and the wick goes through as you want some of the wick sitting in the oil in order to absorb it.

Now I grate my spuds with onion -- probably more onion than most people -- add egg, matzah meal, flat-leaf parsley, lots of salt and pepper, then fry them up in goose grease. Served with a bit of creme fraishe on the side -- THAT's eatin', my friend!

I love an oniony latke. We joke that I make onion latkes with potato for a bit of flavor.

:laugh::raz:

"Some people see a sheet of seaweed and want to be wrapped in it. I want to see it around a piece of fish."-- William Grimes

"People are bastard-coated bastards, with bastard filling." - Dr. Cox on Scrubs

Is it possible to make sweet potato and/or turnip latkes?

Soba

I have never made turnip latkes, but I have made latkes from sweet potatoes with great success. Also with mixture of yukon gold and celeriac -- with a little curry powder thrown in. Most yummy!

Every year I have one guest at Passover who is a vegetarian. I make him a veggie potpie and, instead of a crust, make a sweet potatoe latke. (He had this once at our house and now requests it every year. It isn't varied or exciting, but he enjoys it so much I can't say no!) The latke makes a wonderful "crust".

Aidan

I also make a sweet cheese dessert latke. It's out of the back of the Joan Nathan book Jewish Cooking in America. Cream cheese, eggs, sugar, flour and cottage cheese whirled smooth in the food processor. It's basically a blintz without the crepe . . . or the crepe incorporated in the form of the flour in the batter . . . or fried cheese cake batter without the crust or . . . well you get the idea. Sprinkled with powdered sugar, cinnamon sugar, or spread with a little preserves . . . delish.

So long and thanks for all the fish.

I also make a sweet cheese dessert latke. It's out of the back of the Joan Nathan book Jewish Cooking in America. Cream cheese, eggs, sugar, flour and cottage cheese whirled smooth in the food processor. It's basically a blintz without the crepe . . . or the crepe incorporated in the form of the flour in the batter . . . or fried cheese cake batter without the crust or . . . well you get the idea. Sprinkled with powdered sugar, cinnamon sugar, or spread with a little preserves . . . delish.

I can't believe I've missed that recipe. I have to pull the book off the self and check it out.

"Some people see a sheet of seaweed and want to be wrapped in it. I want to see it around a piece of fish."-- William Grimes

I also make a sweet cheese dessert latke.  It's out of the back of the Joan Nathan book Jewish Cooking in America.  Cream cheese, eggs, sugar, flour and cottage cheese whirled smooth in the food processor.  It's basically a blintz without the crepe . . . or the crepe incorporated in the form of the flour in the batter . . . or fried cheese cake batter without the crust or . . . well you get the idea.  Sprinkled with powdered sugar, cinnamon sugar, or spread with a little preserves . . . delish.

I can't believe I've missed that recipe. I have to pull the book off the self and check it out.

I think it depends which version of the book you have. I believe this is a recipe that was added for the television series and is a separate section at the back of the book. If you don't have that version, let me know and I'll get you the recipe. Blovie will have proof of your trying to kill him with high cholesterol with these but he'll be a happy, happy man.

I also make a sweet cheese dessert latke.  It's out of the back of the Joan Nathan book Jewish Cooking in America.  Cream cheese, eggs, sugar, flour and cottage cheese whirled smooth in the food processor.  It's basically a blintz without the crepe . . . or the crepe incorporated in the form of the flour in the batter . . . or fried cheese cake batter without the crust or . . . well you get the idea.  Sprinkled with powdered sugar, cinnamon sugar, or spread with a little preserves . . . delish.

I think it depends which version of the book you have. I believe this is a recipe that was added for the television series and is a separate section at the back of the book. If you don't have that version, let me know and I'll get you the recipe. Blovie will have proof of your trying to kill him with high cholesterol with these but he'll be a happy, happy man.

That explains it. I have the first version of the book.

I would love a copy of the recipe. I love sweet cheese dishes.

Edited by bloviatrix (log)

Sheilah Kaufman has a different take on latkes - apple latkes. Check it out here:

Cooking Through the Jewish Year.

In the process of helping to develop this course, I made these and they do, indeed, make a nice change for a casual dessert.

Anna Nielsen aka "Anna N"

...I just let people know about something I made for supper that they might enjoy, too. That's all it is. (Nigel Slater)

"Cooking is about doing the best with what you have . . . and succeeding." John Thorne

Our 2012 (Kerry Beal and me) Blog

My 2004 eG Blog

I would love a copy of the recipe.  I love sweet cheese dishes.

Glad to oblige!

Hungarian Cheese Latkes

2 large eggs

1 cup sugar

8 ounces cream cheese

6 tablespoons large-curd cottage cheese (small curd works fine too)

3/4 - 1 cup all-purpose flour

1/2 teaspoon salt

vegetable oil for frying

Mix the eggs and the sugar in the bowl of a food processor fitted with the steel blade. Add the cheeses, 3/4 cup of the flour, and salt. Process until smooth.

Heat a nonstick frying pan (any size) (I found it doesn't have to be nonstick. That's what the oil is for.) and pour in a film of vegetable oil. To test the thickness of the batter, drop about 4 tablespoons into the pan and fry for a few minutes on each side. Do not worry if some of the batter spills out of the pancakes. Just scrape off the excess. If the batter seems too liquid, add flour. When the consistency is correct, continue frying all the pancakes, a few at a time. (I use a 1/4 cup measure to plop the batter into the oil.)

Drain on a paper towel and serve with a dollop of whipped cream, a spoonful of jam or a sprinkle of cinnamon sugar.

I find it's useful to have a small mesh strainer or slotted spoon at the ready to pick up the bits of batter that break off of the pancakes.

To quote from Joan's book, and after you taste these you'll believe it, "the only reason Jews in Central and Easter Europe switched to potato latkes was because they were so poor they couldn't afford cheese."

Edited by JFLinLA (log)

Thanks so much. I'm definitely going to try them this year.

Do you think a blender will work? My food processor is parve.

Thanks so much. I'm definitely going to try them this year.

Do you think a blender will work? My food processor is parve.

Is your stand mixer dairy? I made these last year when my dairy food processor bowl was broken. I used my stand mixer fitted with the paddle. The cream cheese should be at room temp, and I added it before the cottage cheese so I could make sure it was well dispersed before adding the cottage cheese. Then I switched to the wisk attachment and added the flour.

I can't see why this couldn't be done with a hand mixer, either. You could cream the cream cheese and sugar, add eggs one at a time, then add the cottage cheese. Just make sure everything is mixed well before adding the cottage cheese.

The first time I made these I served them with the jam. WAY too sweet and somehow the flavors felt juvenile. The next time I made them I added a splash of vanilla to the battter and served them with a compote made with dried (plumped) apricots, figs, and prunes flavored with a star anise, vanilla bean, and a splash of slivovitz. Yum.

(I happen to love compoted fruit on anything I've been known to have it for breakfast on a piece of cornbread!)

Aidan

Thanks so much.  I'm definitely going to try them this year. 

Do you think a blender will work?  My food processor is parve.

Is your stand mixer dairy? I made these last year when my dairy food processor bowl was broken. I used my stand mixer fitted with the paddle. The cream cheese should be at room temp, and I added it before the cottage cheese so I could make sure it was well dispersed before adding the cottage cheese. Then I switched to the wisk attachment and added the flour.

I can't see why this couldn't be done with a hand mixer, either. You could cream the cream cheese and sugar, add eggs one at a time, then add the cottage cheese. Just make sure everything is mixed well before adding the cottage cheese.

The first time I made these I served them with the jam. WAY too sweet and somehow the flavors felt juvenile. The next time I made them I added a splash of vanilla to the battter and served them with a compote made with dried (plumped) apricots, figs, and prunes flavored with a star anise, vanilla bean, and a splash of slivovitz. Yum.

(I happen to love compoted fruit on anything I've been known to have it for breakfast on a piece of cornbread!)

I think you would want either a food processor or blender over a mixer just to get those cottage cheese curds smoothed out . . . unless you want a little chunky. You could use a mixer and puree the cottage cheese separately and then mix it in I guess.

I'll go with the mixer then. I have the full array of dairy attachments. (Oy, the complications of keeping a kosher kitchen)

That compote sounds great. It wasn't until I was in my late twenties that I learned that compote wasn't a Yiddish word -- say it as com-put', with the accent on the second syllable (it helps to say it with a russian accent) -- and you'll see what I mean. My grandmother always made compote and would send jars with my mother to bring home.

I'll go with the mixer then. I have the full array of dairy attachments. (Oy, the complications of keeping a kosher kitchen)
The first time I made these I served them with the jam. WAY too sweet and somehow the flavors felt juvenile. The next time I made them I added a splash of vanilla to the battter and served them with a compote made with dried (plumped) apricots' date=' figs, and prunes flavored with a star anise, vanilla bean, and a splash of slivovitz. Yum.

[/quote']

Blov -- Let us know how they turn out and how you like them.

Comfort -- Yes, I believe I've added vanilla in the past. Why not? It's perfect with the rest of the ingredients. I've never made compote but it sounds great. Do I just soak in the slivovitz? Is there heating involved? How long? Proportion of fruit to spices to liquid?

Thanks.

I'll go with the mixer then.  I have the full array of dairy attachments. (Oy, the complications of keeping a kosher kitchen)

Blov -- Let us know how they turn out and how you like them.

Comfort -- Yes, I believe I've added vanilla in the past. Why not? It's perfect with the rest of the ingredients. I've never made compote but it sounds great. Do I just soak in the slivovitz? Is there heating involved? How long? Proportion of fruit to spices to liquid?

Thanks.

First -- re blending the cottage cheese. I just mashed it really well with a fork. I didn't think about the blender. THAT would have been faster.

I learned to cook from my old-world grandmother -- hence I cook like a little old lady -- many of my recipes are naratives rather than formulae.

I like to start by taking a couple of handfuls of dried apricots and cover them with boiling water and let them sit while I assemble everything else. You can use whatever dried fruits you want. Papaya makes a lovely color -- I haven't tried dried mango, but anything to add color is nice. I love dried pineapple in this, too. Dried blueberries make it look like Smurf compote. I haven't tried dried sour cherries, but I think I might. Even if they turned the syrup red, I think it would be pretty.

I halve the figs and put them in a non-reactive saucepan. I add a handful of prunes, a nice, wide strip of lemon peal, a nice wide strip of orange peal, a vanilla bean, the drained apricots, sugar to taste and water (I use the water from the apricots) to almost cover. Then a splash of slivovitz. A whole star anise or maybe two, depending on the quantity you are making. Bring to the simmer over a medium flame. Cook until the fruit is softened and fragrant. Remove from heat and let cool a little bit. Can be served warm (not hot -- I made that mistake once -- burned my mouth BAD)or room temperature. This is really nice with pound cake or warm over ice cream or, with, slightly drined with some fresh flaked coconut added, as the filling for a rustic gallette served with cheese course.

For the latkes, I place a ladle of compote on the plate, then arrange three latkes around the fruit. Garnish as you like.

I am alergic to raw alcohol, so I add my shlivovitz before cooking. You can add it after, if that is your preference.

Aidan

Do you think plain Farmer's Cheese would work? It's drier than cottage cheese, so less flour would be needed.

Due to 1 ocean parting us and different time zone, I can apologize only now for forgetting there is some "cultural" difference between Europe and the U.S : For us , here in Israel Magimix (for food processor) is what Fridgeder and Coke are for Americans I guess .

Just for general info: the French maker is very trust worthy, and if I'm not totally mistaken, there is an American parallel or partner named culinariart or cuiseinart.

Nina: the Hebrew word for pancakes/Latkes is Levivot. (Anyone asking for Levavot will probably end up with skewer of chicken hearts (-; .

To settle matters I offer hereby the first 3 E-gulleteers who arrive to Israel my own hand made PRIME - LATKES free.( I haven't sorted out the accompanying Israeli wine yet...).

Regretfully I can't promise Truffle shavings' as supplies are low at the moment. (But if guests choose to bring their own we'll gladly incorporate it in the dish).

Happy landings.

I am happy to announce that my offer from last year will be repeated this coming Hanukkah as well.

This year I do promise that some of the Latkes will include Black truffles!

The latkes would be accompanied also by top Israeli wines and cheeses.

See you soon! :rolleyes:

"Eat every meal as if it's your first and last on earth" (Conrad Rosenblatt 1935)

http://foodha.blogli.co.il/