• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Latkes - the Topic!

2 hours ago, JoNorvelleWalker said:

To my remembrance I have never attempted a latke nor any kind of potato pancake.  But I am excited.  I have ordered a shredder with a potato grating disc.  When does one use grated potato and when does one use shredded potato for a pancake?

Any other recipe suggestions?  Given, forgive me, that I have not read through this whole thread.

Grating it will give a more compact uniform texture and will release more starch, so it will also be more cohesive. Shredding will leave it a bit lighter IMO.

• Thanks 1

~ Shai N.

14 hours ago, JoNorvelleWalker said:

To my remembrance I have never attempted a latke nor any kind of potato pancake.  But I am excited.  I have ordered a shredder with a potato grating disc.  When does one use grated potato and when does one use shredded potato for a pancake?

Any other recipe suggestions?  Given, forgive me, that I have not read through this whole thread.

I like about half a large grated onion to two large potatoes. Grate them together, dump into a colander, strain the hell out of 'em, add an egg, salt and black pepper, maybe a tbsp. of potato flour, and go.

Highly recommend with apple butter and sour cream. 

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

Don't ask. Eat it.

www.kayatthekeyboard.wordpress.com

Despite being raised in the Acadian heartland, and living most of my life here, I've only just learned that there's a latke-esque Acadian potato pancake. I don't know why I'm surprised at this, spuds are a longtime staple here and they're central to other Acadian dishes like rappie pie.

Here's a sample recipe, from a carefully-curated Acadian cookbook:

https://atlanticbookstoday.ca/thibault-feeds-the-palate-and-heart/

ETA: Forgot to mention it's called a "fring frang."

Edited by chromedome (log)
  • Like 3

“Who loves a garden, loves a greenhouse too.” - William Cowper, The Task, Book Three

"Not knowing the scope of your own ignorance is part of the human condition...The first rule of the Dunning-Kruger club is you don’t know you’re a member of the Dunning-Kruger club.” - psychologist David Dunning

On 1/23/2021 at 3:34 AM, shain said:

Grating it will give a more compact uniform texture and will release more starch, so it will also be more cohesive. Shredding will leave it a bit lighter IMO.

Sorta the difference between a "goyishe" latke and a more "jewishe" latke.

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

Mitch Weinstein aka "weinoo"

Tasty Travails - My Blog

My eGullet FoodBog - A Tale of Two Boroughs

Was it you baby...or just a Brilliant Disguise?

16 minutes ago, weinoo said:

Sorta the difference between a "goyishe" latke and a more "jewishe" latke.

Yes!

I was pondering the distinction the other day. Goyishe latkes are more hash brownish.

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

I used to make latkes for breakfast with bacon and eggs, the latkes fried in the bacon fat. I called them Methodist latkes.

• Haha 2

Don't ask. Eat it.

www.kayatthekeyboard.wordpress.com

I have a Swedish potato grater so I made a Swedish potato pancake by way of Magnus Nilsson.  Just grated potato fried in butter.  Overfried unfortunately, for which I can't blame Nilsson.

However I'm thinking I misused the tool.  The full English name is "Grating drum for potatoes for making potato dumplings".  But the instructions are in nine languages and the Italian is "Tamburo a grattugia per patate, per la preparazione di crocchette o gnocchi di patate".  This makes me think the grater is for grating cooked potatoes, not raw potatoes.

Next time I will try one of the other drums.