• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Latkes - the Topic!

Fat Guy

To settle matters I offer hereby the first 3 E-gulleteers who arrive to Israel my own hand made PRIME - LATKES free.( I haven't sorted out the accompanying Israeli wine yet...).

Regretfully I can't promise Truffle shavings' as supplies are low at the moment. (But if guests choose to bring their own we'll gladly incorporate it in the dish).

Happy landings.

I am happy to announce that my offer from last year will be repeated this coming Hanukkah as well.

This year I do promise that some of the Latkes will include Black truffles!

The latkes would be accompanied also by top Israeli wines and cheeses.

See you soon! :rolleyes:

To settle matters I offer hereby the first 3 E-gulleteers who arrive to Israel my own hand made PRIME - LATKES free.( I haven't sorted out the accompanying Israeli wine yet...).

Regretfully I can't promise Truffle shavings' as supplies are low at the moment. (But if guests choose to bring their own we'll gladly incorporate it in the dish).

Happy landings.

I am happy to announce that my offer from last year will be repeated this coming Hanukkah as well.

This year I do promise that some of the Latkes will include Black truffles!

The latkes would be accompanied also by top Israeli wines and cheeses.

See you soon! :rolleyes:

Damn! And I was just there last week! :sad:

"Eat every meal as if it's your first and last on earth" (Conrad Rosenblatt 1935)

http://foodha.blogli.co.il/

I'm sure this is upthread somewhere, but to save endless scrolling I'll offer my annual link to our family's secular latkes. Included are recipes for Tex-Mex and celeriac-scallion latkes, as well an ode to ketchup.

We had a late Thanksgiving dinner, and on day 5 of leftovers I made some turkey latkes for breakfast, served with gravy and leftover stuffing. Okay, but I still prefer ketchup.

And of course, I always fry mine in olive oil.

Jim

olive oil + salt

Real Good Food

• 2 weeks later...

I think I've been repressing this, but when I attended Kosherfest, there was a booth showing Potato Latke Batter. Just heat up your oil and add.

I hear it's available at some stores locally. This is a SHONDEH (shame) I tell you.

"Some people see a sheet of seaweed and want to be wrapped in it. I want to see it around a piece of fish."-- William Grimes

"People are bastard-coated bastards, with bastard filling." - Dr. Cox on Scrubs

I posted this somewhere else

Nice article I found in "FORWARD"

see : " http://www.forward.com/issues/2003/03.12.12/living1.html "

" ..."Latke" is a Yiddish word derived from the Russian oladka, the diminutive of oladya, defined as "a flat cake of unleavened wheat dough." This would seem an odd derivation for a dish that contains only a few tablespoons of wheat flour, certainly not enough to form a dough — that is, until we recall that the potato is a relatively recent invitee to the Chanukah table. In Eastern Europe latkes were long made from buckwheat flour, in the fashion of the Russian buckwheat cakes called blini...."

Peter

I think I've been repressing this, but when I attended Kosherfest, there was a booth showing Potato Latke Batter.  Just heat up your oil and add. 

I hear it's available at some stores locally.  This is a SHONDEH (shame) I tell you.

'Tis true. In yesterday's NY Times: Ruthie & Gussie's Traditional Potato Pancake Batter.

I think I've been repressing this, but when I attended Kosherfest, there was a booth showing Potato Latke Batter.  Just heat up your oil and add. 

I hear it's available at some stores locally.  This is a SHONDEH (shame) I tell you.

'Tis true. In yesterday's NY Times: Ruthie & Gussie's Traditional Potato Pancake Batter.

I agree - that is just wrong.

I'm a traditionalist about my latkes.

Proportions:

1 large potato

1 medium to small onion

2 eggs

a couple heaping tablespoons of flour

Of course I always multiply this by at least three. And I love them with applesauce.

But I'm dying to try this non-traditional recipe:

Potato-Apple Pancakes with Smoked Salmon and Horseradish

So, who's making Latkes?

Favorite recipes? Sauce variations? Accompaniments? Discuss.

Tex-Mex Latkes

Hannukah o chanukah (recent thread)

I lived in Germany for a three years, and they made kartofflepuffer mit knoblauchsosse as an alternative to the applesauce generally served. Thats a sourcream and raw garlic sauce. Dear Heavens it was divine.

But oh, the resulting heartburn.

I don't know if they were actual latkes, they did use onions as well but i'm not sure about the type of fat used to fry.

I agree - that is just wrong.

I saw the product today in Kosher Marketplace.

Oy. I could feel generations of yiddeshe mammas turning in their graves.

"Some people see a sheet of seaweed and want to be wrapped in it. I want to see it around a piece of fish."-- William Grimes

My family is not Jewish, but after reading this thread I was drooling on the keyboard and just couldn't stand it any longer so tried making latkes for the first time for Tuedsday night's supper. I used mostly Rachel's recipe, modified slightly, and Boulud's method with the ring molds, and served them with sour cream and chopped chives. They were pronounced delicious by all (including me :laugh:), so I was more than pleased. The next day, my wife told two of her Jewish colleagues about our adventure and they laughed, saying that was how their grandmothers used to make them (grated by hand - I used a food processor), but they just buy ready made stuff (frozen?) at the supermarket. How sad.

THW

"My only regret in life is that I did not drink more Champagne." John Maynard Keynes

Every year we do a Christmas Party for widows, orphans, and Jews. It'll be starting in two hours.

Every year we make latkas (served with bacon, of course--my mother would plotz).

2 cups potatoes, peeled and grated in a food processor, water squeezed out of them

3 beaten eggs

1 greated onion

2 tablespoons flour (or so)

1 teaspoon salt (or so)

Mix everything together and make patties. Fry them in a well-oiled skillet.

Serve with sour cream and applesauce.

Repeat as long as necessary.

Happy whatever, everybody.

Bruce

I bought apples for applesauce. And cheese for the cheese latkes. I even have potatoes sitting in the pantry. But we've been out every night this week for Chanukah festivities. We're leaving the house in a couple of hours to attend yet another party. The way I'm going, I'm going to need another 8 days so I can get my cooking in.

At my sister-in-law's tonight for the last night of Hanukah we were served what they called "galettes." Basically potato pancakes without the egg because my niece is vegan. They were tasty, but were these really galettes or just latkes. They were also frying pan sized and cut into wedges rather than silver dollars. Served with applesauce, cranberry sauce, and yogurt.

I did have a small snifter of some very tasy pear brandy afterwards.

My diabetes nutrionist would be horrified with my no-protein, all carb meal.

--mark

Everybody has Problems, but Chemists have Solutions.

I finished my shabbat cooking at about 2 yesterday. Being that I had two hours to kill, I decided I would make a batch of latkes. I went completely traditional (ok, not completely, I used flour instead of matza meal) which was a shock to my dear husband. Since they're best right out of the pan, we ate 3 then, and I saved the rest for dinner. They were really good. Nicely crispy outside, and creamy inside.

I still intend on making the cheese latkes, as I bought the cheese (I'll call them fritters. :laugh: )

I'm sure I missed some etymological discussion, but why wouldn't you call your cheese latkes, latkes, as oppposed to fritters? Latkes are the word for pancakes, right? When I was a girl, we called many things latkes in my house, qualified by the flavoring ingredient, i.e. spinach latkes or matzo meal latkes. I've never made cheese latkes, but they sound good, have you posted a recipe?

Every year we do a Christmas Party for widows, orphans, and Jews.  It'll be starting in two hours.

Every year we make latkas (served with bacon, of course--my mother would plotz).

2 cups potatoes, peeled and grated in a food processor, water squeezed out of them

3 beaten eggs

1 greated onion

2 tablespoons flour (or so)

1 teaspoon salt (or so)

Mix everything together and make patties.  Fry them in a well-oiled skillet.

Serve with sour cream and applesauce.

Repeat as long as necessary.

Happy whatever, everybody.

Bruce

that does sound really good.

just wanted to say i saw schneier being quoted in Wired talking about national ID systems.

cool.

Edited by herbacidal (log)

Herb aka "herbacidal"

Tom is not my friend.

I've never made cheese latkes, but they sound good, have you posted a recipe?

Rachel -- See my late night December 4 post earlier in this thread. It's from Joan Nathan's book. I still have some batter sitting in the fridge that we will finish in the next day or so.

So long and thanks for all the fish.

Do you think plain Farmer's Cheese would work?  It's drier than cottage cheese, so less flour would be needed.

I just read through all the stuff about cheese latkes, and my question was the same (since I happen to have farmer cheese in the fridge at the moment), but it hasn't been answered yet. Well?

I'm sure I missed some etymological discussion, but why wouldn't you call your cheese latkes, latkes, as oppposed to fritters? Latkes are the word for pancakes, right? When I was a girl, we called many things latkes in my house, qualified by the flavoring ingredient, i.e. spinach latkes or matzo meal latkes. I've never made cheese latkes, but they sound good, have you posted a recipe?

I just figure since it's no longer Chanukah, it's inappropriate to call them latkes. Hence the fritters. But, that's just me. :huh:

Do you think plain Farmer's Cheese would work?  It's drier than cottage cheese, so less flour would be needed.

I just read through all the stuff about cheese latkes, and my question was the same (since I happen to have farmer cheese in the fridge at the moment), but it hasn't been answered yet. Well?

I have farmer cheese as well. Still haven't made them yet. With the exception of shabbos, we haven't been home for dinner in over 2 weeks. But I've used it for blintz filling, so I see no reason why it won't work.