• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Five Guys Hamburgers

luvfat

Passing through DC/VA in May heading south and planning on stopping at the " 5 Guys" newest location in Woodbridge, Va.

Lots of lovers of this small local chain including The Sterns and Zagat's - top burgers and fries - What say all of you? :confused:

Luvfat--I am a mild fan of the 5 Guys location in Old Town, Alexandria and eat there about once a month, usually when I find myself near National Airport and am in the mood for a quick over-cooked meat fix.  (That's Reagan National for anyone that doesn't live here.)  Let's not get carried away here in typical uncritical Chowhound/Stern/Zagat-style: it's a pretty good burger, a decent grilled hot dog and at times very good fries, nothing more; quality is inconsistent, this location can have slow service and it's certainly not worth a special trip. I'm afraid it has jumped shark compared to any fond remembrance of days past.

Unless you are the kind of person who makes special trips for burgers--and then by all means, if you happen to be there or haven't ever been there, fine.  The Old Town location is enhanced by the fact that Alexandria is a veritable restaurant wasteland of underwhelming dining--only the Majestic Cafe gets my strong recommendation.

I've never been to another 5 Guys location and haven't had much reason to go to Woodbridge.

Steve Klc

Pastry chef-Restaurant Consultant

Oyamel : Zaytinya : Cafe Atlantico : Jaleo

chef@pastryarts.com

• 2 years later...

My revised title for this thread would be: Five Guys: "Expanding and Sucking". Stopped in at the new Chinatown location last night. The burgers were totally mediocre-- as disappointing as the Howard location. Too bad, 'cause I really like the Old Town location's burgers. We consoled ourselves afterwards with pints of Victory Hop Devil at RFD. It's the beer they're currently filtering through that crazy new hop device they have and it's dynamite.

Chris Sadler

Interesting. They'll be opening '5 Guys' franchises down here in Richmond in the next year. The first one opens in the Richmond 'burbs this summer but I think that they're planning on several more. Hope that they don't suck like the location that you report.

I ate at the Woodbridge Five Guys a couple years ago while getting a car serviced nearby, big sloppy juice burgers. It's kinda dissappointing that the new locations are being panned, but considering the Woodbridge location dates well before expansion, you might have better luck there as opposed to one of the new locations. Check them out, they make a good burger.

I've only been to the Old Town location have been very satisfied. This news of the expansion outlets is disturbing indeed.

Make sure you get the full sized double burger, not the single patty.

They also do their french fries in peanut oil. Very tasty.

They also do their french fries in peanut oil. Very tasty.

I will say that the fries at the new DC places are up to the quality of the VA locations. Not so the bland, dry burgers.

Chris Sadler

I just read last week where 5 guys is opening yet another branch in the Alexandria section of Fairfax Co. on Rt. 1, south of the Beltway. This new outpost will be a whopping 2.6 miles from the Hybla Valley location on the same road. Obviously they're seeing success and an untapped market along Rt. 1. But honestly, this seems like quite a bit of over-expansion. I guess time will tell.

I just read last week where 5 guys is opening yet another branch in the Alexandria section of Fairfax Co. on Rt. 1, south of the Beltway. This new outpost will be a whopping 2.6 miles from the Hybla Valley location on the same road. Obviously they're seeing success and an untapped market along Rt. 1. But honestly, this seems like quite a bit of over-expansion. I guess time will tell.

Wow, now I can stop for a burger on my way to/from Lowes.

• 1 month later...

Sitting here at my desk, having my first Five Guys experience (wow, that sounds...dirty).

I called ahead to order, kind of envisioning that it'd be sorta like Matchbox and that if I just showed up, there might be more of a wait than I could handle today. Clearly I did not do my due dilligence.

Five Guys is, uh, more casual than I expected, but not in a bad way. Walking back with my burger and fries in a bag, I got a lot of looks. Probably because the grease was oozing from the bad at a remarkably fast pace.

What I'm eating:

The regular cheeseburger with cheese, mayo and ketchup cooked medium

Cajun fries

Lesson #1: I could have made do with a "mini" burger because what I thought, at first bite, was a loosely packed burger turned out to be two thin patties. :blink: I'm not saying I CAN'T or WON'T eat the whole thing. I might.

Lesson #2: The "five guys" fries are simply salted. I got the cajun ones and like 'em just fine. They're a lot like you'd get on a boardwalk in that they're not skinny and are definitely a little greasy.

Time to stuff it down as I have a dentist appointment shortly...

5 Guys right BEFORE a dentist appt. :shock: Thankfully for your dentist you did not get the jalapenos!!! :biggrin:

Edited by mdt (log)
Wearing jeans to the best restaurants in town.

Unfortunately I've only eaten at the recently opened Manassas location so I have no basis with which to compare the quality of food in the new locations. I thought it was good though - can't say I was in awe or anything but for what it was I enjoyed it. I have to admit I am rather thrilled to hear that we're getting one in Warrenton. For those of you who know the restaurant scene in Warrenton I'm sure you understand my excitement .... I do enjoy Fosters' burgers though so once Five Guys opens I can do a taste test and determine whether Five Guys will truly be an addition to Warrenton. :raz: If I remember correctly though, Five Guys does not serve beer which immediately gives Fosters an advantage in my book ...

Some say the glass is half empty, some say the glass is half full, I say, are you going to drink that?

5 Guys right BEFORE a dentist appt. :shock: Thankfully for your dentist you did not get the jalapenos!!! :biggrin:

I brushed and flossed before heading over. :biggrin:

But upon returning to my office...oh the stink!! It reeks of fried, greasy things in here. I feel sick from the smell.

Now that I think about it though...the burger and fries were good, but maybe two steps above any of the area QSRs. It's not like when you go into a dive bar and are pleasantly surprised by the quality of their burger or anything. It was tasty but for $6.69 ($4.29 for the burger, $1.79 for a regular sized fry and tax) definitely not all that.

I think of Five Guys as being more good compared with other fast-food burgers rather than comparing them to something you might get at an order-off-the-menu type of place. Just a different animal altogether.

Bill Russell

I think of Five Guys as being more good compared with other fast-food burgers rather than comparing them to something you might get at an order-off-the-menu type of place. Just a different animal altogether.

Taste-wise, that's accurate. Price-wise, not so much.

I think of Five Guys as being more good compared with other fast-food burgers rather than comparing them to something you might get at an order-off-the-menu type of place.  Just a different animal altogether.

Taste-wise, that's accurate. Price-wise, not so much.

couple months ago i also had Five Guys for the first time - i like the burgers - but i agree, it is a bit pricey for what you get - not something i'd make a habit of but i've gone back a couple times since - it'll fill a niche in the Gallery Place neighborhood. i think i like the fries a lot better.

i never go to fuddruckers a block away because I think they're overpriced - yet i'll go back to 5 guys. i guess that shows something about how i like 5 guys.

of course if i'm already escaping form the office and walking over that way, i should just go get a plate of mini-burgers at matchbox across the street...... or some beef brisket at capital Q.

of course if i'm already escaping from the office and walking over that way, i should just go get a plate of mini-burgers at matchbox across the street
I agree, nothing beats Matchbox's mini-burgers... but they're cute little suckers and they don't sit in your stomach like rocks. Sometimes you want grease, and a Five Guys burger is the ticket.

The first time I had a Five Guys burger, I made the mistake of ordering one with "everything... except mayo". Not only was the result extremely difficult to eat (the darned toppings kept falling out... and they don't give you a plate!), but it was hard to actually taste the meat. I've learned from my mistake, and have realized that the best Five Guys burger has at most 3 toppings (in addition to condiments). Oh, and bacon doesn't count as a "topping", it's a given.

of course if i'm already escaping from the office and walking over that way, i should just go get a plate of mini-burgers at matchbox across the street
I agree, nothing beats Matchbox's mini-burgers... but they're cute little suckers and they don't sit in your stomach like rocks. Sometimes you want grease, and a Five Guys burger is the ticket.

The first time I had a Five Guys burger, I made the mistake of ordering one with "everything... except mayo". Not only was the result extremely difficult to eat (the darned toppings kept falling out... and they don't give you a plate!), but it was hard to actually taste the meat. I've learned from my mistake, and have realized that the best Five Guys burger has at most 3 toppings (in addition to condiments). Oh, and bacon doesn't count as a "topping", it's a given.

First: Welcome to eGullet tcpanda.

Second: What "toppings" other than lettuce, tomato and onion do they offer (or are those condiments?)?

As an Alexandria resident, I eat at the Fayette St locale about once a month. I've always enjoyed the burgers (and dogs) there. I will add that they don't seem to travel well and are best enjoyed on site.

I just took on 5 Guys. My first time, but not the last, assuming that I recover from this experience.

It was pretty good. Two big, loose patties, reasonably flavorful and certainly juicy, with cheese, bacon, tomatoes, lettuce, onions, and mustard. The short analysis: not enough bacon, too much mustard, and (pet peeve!) wan, bite-less diced onions that fell out in sad little jumping-ship pieces with every bite.

The fries were excellent, salted well and not really crisp after the first minute or so, but tasty and an excellent swab for green-tabasco mopping.

I went to the location at King and Beauregard in Alexandria (Bailey's Crossroad-ish?). They get points for the box o' peanuts sitting in the corner (a fixture of 5 Guys, from what I am told), but lose points because, when I grabbed a handful, the nuts rattled in their shells, macarena-like.

Also, I can't decide if the guy behind the counter who told me my order would be too much food for me to eat is a plus or a minus. For the record, I ate it all, but mostly just to prove him wrong. I may have to be rolled out of here later.

Not to mention, my office and my clothes smell and feel like I rubbed myself down with peanut oil, and then put a topcoat of it on the walls. Fucking Illustrator CS is even more of a bitch when your mouse is slick and your keyboard is sticky.

I had a 5 guys experience this weekend myself. Took my two boys to the Old Town location. I had a bacon cheeseburger with lettuce, tomato and onions. I agree that the chopped onions leave a lot to be desired. I expected sliced onion. The burger was beefy with lots of flavor. The 2 guys agreed that it was much better than the fast food they are accustomed to. They want to back. The 3 of us could not wipe out the large order of fries, which were great. They reminded me of the fries you get at the beach.