• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Low Fat in Arlington (or near)

Haggis man

Here I am going on my first date in 15 years. I know she likes to eat low fat, so I am thinking a veggie, chinese or some other place that can do veggies well. It has been a while, but I know Fortune use to be good and so is Dungrats. any other suggestions in this area. I would like some atmosphere if possible. ANy suggestions for this budding Romero?

I should have added that she lives near the Pentagon.

Here I am going on my first date in 15 years. I know she likes to eat low fat, so I am thinking a veggie, chinese or some other place that can do veggies well. It has been a while, but I know Fortune use to be good and so is Dungrats. any other suggestions in this area. I would like some atmosphere if possible. ANy suggestions for this budding Romero?

ANy suggestions for this budding Romero?

Yes, two suggestions.

First and foremost, I would bear in mind that it's Romeo, especially as Cesar Romero played the Joker in the original Batman series.

As for the low-fat options: for sushi, Makoto (intimate tete-a-tete) Sushi-Ko (fun sushi bar or full restaurant upstairs) Spices (for inexpensive variety in a casual setting); for healthy-ish pizza, Two Amys (if she has kids she wants to bring); for a hip menu and restrained portions, Komi (the vegetables aren't necessary low in fat); for raw bar, Old Ebbitt Grill (historical, cavernous) Oceanaire (for a dressy business lunch) Kinkead's (for name recognition and simple grilled fish); for an impressive atmosphere, 2941 ($60 vegetarian tasting menu) Asia Nora (some good options here) Yanyu (likewise); for spicy Korean, Yee-Hwa (I haven't been, but it's the only place downtown and supposedly decent); for lots of different dishes to handle a variety of needs, Zaytinya (large, hip and bustling, middle-eastern styled tapas) Jaleo (medium-sized, loud and bustling, Spanish tapas); for genuinely healthy vegetarian, Sunflower (out in Vienna) Vegetable Garden (Chinese in Rockville).

Knock 'em dead, tiger.

Rocks.

Edit: Damn it I just now noticed that you're looking near Arlington. Add Tachibana in McLean for Japanese, Thai Square in Arlington for casual Thai, Pho 75 in Rosslyn for casual Pho, Llajtaymanta in Falls Church for casual healthy family-run Bolivian, Secret Garden in Falls Church for Korean, Fortune in Falls Church for Cantonese, Jaleo or Oyamel in Crystal City (see above), 2941 in Falls Church (see above), Guajillo for ceviche in Rosslyn.

Edited by DonRocks (log)

Don as usual your sugesstions.... well ROCK.

Thanks Sushi is a great idea and I have been wanting to try Spices

Yes, two suggestions.

First and foremost, I would bear in mind that it's Romeo, especially as Cesar Romero played the Joker in the original Batman series.

As for the low-fat options: for sushi, Makoto (intimate tete-a-tete) Sushi-Ko (fun sushi bar or full restaurant upstairs) Spices (for inexpensive variety in a casual setting); for healthy-ish pizza, Two Amys (if she has kids she wants to bring); for a hip menu and restrained portions, Komi (the vegetables aren't necessary low in fat); for raw bar, Old Ebbitt Grill (historical, cavernous) Oceanaire (for a dressy business lunch) Kinkead's (for name recognition and simple grilled fish); for an impressive atmosphere, 2941 ($60 vegetarian tasting menu) Asia Nora (some good options here) Yanyu (likewise); for spicy Korean, Yee-Hwa (I haven't been, but it's the only place downtown and supposedly decent); for lots of different dishes to handle a variety of needs, Zaytinya (large, hip and bustling, middle-eastern styled tapas) Jaleo (medium-sized, loud and bustling, Spanish tapas); for genuinely healthy vegetarian, Sunflower (out in Vienna) Vegetable Garden (Chinese in Rockville).

Knock 'em dead, tiger.

Rocks.

Edit: Damn it I just now noticed that you're looking near Arlington. Add Tachibana in McLean for Japanese, Thai Square in Arlington for casual Thai, Pho 75 in Rosslyn for casual Pho, Llajtaymanta in Falls Church for casual healthy family-run Bolivian, Secret Garden in Falls Church for Korean, Fortune in Falls Church for Cantonese, Jaleo or Oyamel in Crystal City (see above), 2941 in Falls Church (see above), Guajillo for ceviche in Rosslyn.

I would not disagree with any of the suggestions given by Don, but would also add Lebanese Taverna for closeness to where your date lives, not sure if it is low fat though. Also Crystal Thai, and Mark's Duck House might be good choices if you want something Asian.

One thing to keep in mind is that Chinese food, which you mentioned in your original post, is not generally a low fat option, as most of the non-steamed dishes start out with a healthy does of oil both for the cooking and in the sauces. Thai is generally a little better on the low-fat end of things.

Bill Russell

If it is George Romero you mean, then I might point out that dietary restrictions of any nature are not much of a concern for insatiable, rabid, brain-craving zombies, although they might not like the no substition rule at Buck's.

One thing to keep in mind is that Chinese food, which you mentioned in your original post, is not generally a low fat option, as most of the non-steamed dishes start out with a healthy does of oil both for the cooking and in the sauces.  Thai is generally a little better on the low-fat end of things.

Depends on where you go. Unfortunately, there's a lack of decent Chinese (Cantonese) restaurants in the DC area. Northern Chinese food is definitely more oily and heavier by comparison. There are good Northern Chinese restaurants to be had in the Rockville, MD area. Best of luck to you! Don't forget the breath mints... :biggrin:

If you want to invest in the relationship -- Colvin Run Tavern on Rt. 7 at Tysons

Oh, J[esus]. You may be omnipotent, but you are SO naive!

- From the South Park Mexican Starring Frog from South Sri Lanka episode

If you want to invest in the relationship -- Colvin Run Tavern on Rt. 7 at Tysons

I had forgotten all about Colvin Run Tavern.

If you decide on this one make a reservation immediately -- they are frequently solidly booked days in advance and particularly on wkends.

Edited by FunJohnny (log)

Oh, J[esus]. You may be omnipotent, but you are SO naive!

- From the South Park Mexican Starring Frog from South Sri Lanka episode

If I were you, I'd take the lady to Komi. I know it's not Arlington, but it's also not far.

At Komi you'll get thoughtful, light-handed, Asian-influenced food (lots of awesome veggie sides, oysters, delicate salads, etc.), and excellent service from attractive people who will remind that you don't need excess.

And then there's Asia Nora, even closer to Arlington...

The whole first date thing adds a layer of complication, then a first first date in 15 years, well, that's even tougher. I'd heed the bilrus comments--if she's admittedly a low fat seeker then she knows apart from steaming most asian food sans-sushi is very high in fat and probably avoids it--so, too is she aware most traditionally-trained chefs use a ton of fat even in their vegetables and starches. Their food tastes better with a lot of fat--their mentors used fat--so do they.

Odds are this person has been to their nearby restaurants like Lebanese Taverna, so that would be off my list. I (personally) don't understand the sustained attraction to Mark's Duck House and Crystal Thai (sorry Sthitch--you've had better experiences) both have poor aesthetics, with cooking that's been surpassed by other restaurants in their genres--neither are what they once were even by slightly-behind-the-curve Chowhound-type standards. If you want to stay nearby and within the Asian spectrum, try the new Thai place Tom just reviewed, Bangkok 54 over on Columbia Pike--it's in the block with Matuba and that beer/movie place--we've eaten there a bunch of times, though the pork belly dish obviously isn't low fat--rather it is pure fat but it is delicious, they do a reasonably-priced steamed fish, the place is affordable given its quality level, overall exceptionally good food with a gorgeous interior (gorgeous compared to Mark's Duck House and Crystal Thai anyway.) They're new, still trying very hard to please so service is very attentive, date-wise strategy, go by ahead, scout out the table you'd feel the most secure in (booths are nice) and ask them for it. For a date I'd like the tables tucked near the corner near the lighted red wall installation which the Post magazine ran a picture of in their review--though we never seem to get seated there--as a married couple who just wanders in we always seem to get the tables near the front door. You'll see what I mean if you drop by. Parking in the lot in back, enter through the back as well. Otherwise, it can seem like a shitty--(for the politically correct substitute "emerging") neighborhood if you park on certain streets, if it is late and/or dark.

Just like Minh's surpassed everything in Eden center, including 4 Sisters, with vital fresh cooking when it opened, and Singh Thai surpassed the usual suspect roundup of just-pretty-good-but-all-the-same NoVA places like Crystal Thai, I expect Bangkok 54 to rule on this roost for a while--with its more stylish interior to boot--and at least at this point they haven't started dumbing stuff down for the Americano Range Rover set. Certain dishes will always please at the usual suspects, but top to bottom, Bangkok 54 is the asian restaurant doing the best job right now in NoVA. It's so good we haven't been back to Singh Thai yet--and we loved Singh Thai.

I haven't been on a date in a long time either, but when I was dating some bustling place like Zaytinya and the downtown Jaleo--and these two are still as packed as ever--would probably not have been my first date style despite their plethora of vegetarian options, such that my style was, anyway. Too noisy, too busy, with a very attractive clientele, much more attractive than me. Oyamel, which hasn't yet been reviewed by Tom, and Jaleo in Crystal City would be better date-wise for me--quieter, colorful, more charming and romantic, but then maybe you want the scene and energy of the busier place, so that's always gonna be a personal call. Atmosphere, like taste, is subjective. Oyamel hasn't exploded yet but it will--now might be the right time to go.

Upscaling in my neck of the woods for a date, above the price point of Bangkok 54, Restaurant Eve would get my top Northern VA nod not Colvin Run; Eve would be a great first date place if you wanted to jump up your check average--quiet enough to talk, perfect service, perfect floor management, if not perfect everything else, call ahead about your low-fat concerns and I'm sure they'd steer you or devise something just for you. The chef is very comfortable with Fall flavors, cooking styles and ingredients.

(Don has offered you a wealth of options, I'll just comment on one of his--downtown, I'd prefer the cooking and atmosphere of Firefly to Komi everytime, first date or any date--though I'm glad to see Komi getting more love on its own merits versus focusing on how good it was "for its neighborhood.")

Steve Klc

Pastry chef-Restaurant Consultant

Oyamel : Zaytinya : Cafe Atlantico : Jaleo

chef@pastryarts.com

With offering all of these wonderful places to eat, it seems that the point of a first date is being missed. The point should not be to impress your date with the restaurant you can find, but with your company. If the date were ultimately a success, and years from now you sat back and talked about the first date, I doubt you will remember what you ate. I would save the incredibly romantic room for your first anniversary. The first date should be about getting to know one another and to decide if there should be a second date. So you might want to look for somewhere that is quiet, and conducive to conversation. Most of the places mentioned (and the three I previously mention included) are not the best for talking to your new interest.

I am quite hard of hearing so the ability to have an easy conversation is something that I notice. The one place that I have found that provides a consistently comfortable room for a conversation is Simply Fish in Arlington. I have found that the food is good and they have a number of low fat selections. If you are not familiar with it, you choose the fish, how it is cooked and how it is dressed. While my first experience there was not the best, subsequent visits have proven to be quite enjoyable.

Wow Chowhound and dating advice! Who knew!

I will check on the sushi, not everyone is in to that, but I agree it's lowfat and good!

I truely appreciate all the great suggestions and comments that everyone has. Hopefully I will be able to make one of the upcoming "events" and meet a few of you. You have given me alot of good ideas! Hopefully there will be many more dates as I start to make my way back into the real world.

I am afraid that my date will have to decide wether it is Romeo or Romero :)

Cheers

Scott

1856, I believe.  My great grandmother met her second husband there eons ago.

The bar area was crowbarred out of the original Old Ebbit Grill, which was around the corner from the current location; the original structure was demolished.

The question of whether or not an old bar in a new location with an old name and new owners is historic, is a little too metaphysical for me. The original establishment is missed, though.

I'm on the pavement

Thinking about the government.

1856, I believe.  My great grandmother met her second husband there eons ago.

The bar area was crowbarred out of the original Old Ebbit Grill, which was around the corner from the current location; the original structure was demolished.

The question of whether or not an old bar in a new location with an old name and new owners is historic, is a little too metaphysical for me. The original establishment is missed, though.

Amen. Remember the potato chips?

But the old Old Ebbitt grill wasn't the original; it was at least the 3rd location, I believe. So there would have been an old old Old Ebbitt and an old old old Old Ebbitt before the the old one, all before the current new Old Ebbitt Grill. The fact remains that the new Old Ebbitt Grill is mostly pretty new. And given the fact that the development it's now located in was in part made possible by the demolition of Rhodes Tavern, calling the new Old Ebbitt Grill "historic" is, well, cruelly ironic.

Another sushi place to consider is Bonsai in Shirlington. You can start off next door at the Curious Grape and see what wines they have to taste; whether it's good or not, it might be a good conversation starter. It's also close to Shirlington movie theater -- maybe good for second date -- dinner & movie.

Minh's is also a good suggestion from Steve Klc, because the noise level is low, so you can hear each other without yelling, and the food seems more elegant than at other vietnamese restaurants, yet it's not expensive. Close to Courthouse movie theaters, again good for dinner/movie date.

As for Yee Hwa in DC, I would definitely pass on that -- it was overpriced and only so-so foodwise when I went there for lunch.

Restaurant Eve - fun place, great cocktails and food, not sure how it does on the low fat spectrum, but may be hard to get a table.

2941 -- horribly overrated in my opinion. Terrible service, mediocre food, very nice decor, however.

Good luck with the date.