• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Foie Gras

As I'm sure Mathew is about to tell you - it's not difficult to find foie gras in London. Either Harvey Nichols, Harrods, Selfridges, or The Ginger Pig on Moxon street, or three places at Borough Market...

"Gimme a pig's foot, and a bottle of beer..." Bessie Smith

Flickr Food

"111,111,111 x 111,111,111 = 12,345,678,987,654,321" Bruce Frigard 'Winesonoma' - RIP

Raw foie gras you will find the best prices are at the chicken place in borough market (the shop not stall). About 28 quid a kilo (may have ticked up a bit) or 14-15 quid for a whole duck liver, which is certainly not unreasonable.

Their terrine is also keenly priced, though you often get a lot of fat on top.

Ginger Pig also had it @ £28/kg last Sat

They will cut of slices if you do not want a whole liver

Comptoir Gascon was aruond £40/kg (haven't been for a while) and wouldn't do slices

cheers

J

More Cookbooks than Sense - my new Cookbook blog!

Marc -

Club Chef Direct should do it for you. Look under 'Other Produce' and then (I think) 'Specialty Items.'

It says 7 days notice required.

Thanks, Moby. Site looks interesting but I'd be seeking further information/reassurance if I stumbled on it unrecommended. Have you used them? They don't say who they are, where they are (no telephone number, no address that I can find), who their sources or suppliers are, very little info to entice one to buy. And as we all know, taking the plunge to buying on line is always something of a leap of faith. We need, we crave information, for what we're buying in good measure is Trust. Would be interested to know more, but that said, I think I'll definitely have a pop at the foie gras.

Cheers,

Marc

If it is diificult to get hold of is this why recipes are rare in cookbooks?

There's an excellent recipe for foie gras parfait in Starters by Shane Osborn and I'm sure I have others in my collection (I know there's one in My Gastronomy by Nico Ladenis for example). I'll have a search through and let you know.

Marc -

Club Chef Direct should do it for you. Look under 'Other Produce' and then (I think) 'Specialty Items.'

Thanks, Moby. Site looks interesting but I'd be seeking further information/reassurance if I stumbled on it unrecommended. Have you used them? They don't say who they are, where they are (no telephone number, no address that I can find), who their sources or suppliers are, very little info to entice one to buy. And as we all know, taking the plunge to buying on line is always something of a leap of faith. We need, we crave information, for what we're buying in good measure is Trust. Would be interested to know more, but that said, I think I'll definitely have a pop at the foie gras.

Cheers,

Marc

Telephone number - 01275 475252

There was a member - Steve Martin - used to speak very highly of it for hard-to-find items like woodcock etc. I haven't used it myself though.

Edited by MobyP (log)

Flickr Food

"111,111,111 x 111,111,111 = 12,345,678,987,654,321" Bruce Frigard 'Winesonoma' - RIP

Here's a good recipe from Sue Style's web site for Christmas foie gras. Sue, who writes for the FT, lives in Alsace and her recipes always work. Provided I can get ahold of the foie, this is how I'll be cooking it (though I think I'd probably macerate first in Armagnac together with the salt and spices). However I'd certainly be interested to hear of other ways to cook and serve. Moby, what is your favourite fresh foie gras preparation.

Marc -

Cheers,

Marc

They are based in Bristol and mostly sell to the high-end restaurant business, especially in London. However, they also sell to the mail-order market and even direct if you go to their premises, near Bristol airport. I have no experience of the internet ordering system, but as I live in Bristol, I go regularly there to buy seafood and game and always found them to be quite good.

Francesco

Moby, what is your favourite fresh foie gras preparation.

I'm just learning. I've done the Gordon Ramsay Foie and duck confit terrine a few times (I have one in the fridge at the moment for my stepmum's xmas-present) as they're so simple to make. Devein - mascerate - roast for 12 minutes, and line a terrine with alternating layers. I'll send the recipe if you want it. I should probably graduate to something more - what's the word - pure, maybe. I've served seared foie as a garnish to a few dinners, but I always find it loses heat very quickly, and by the time everyone tucks in, it tends towards the lukewarm.

Flickr Food

• 2 weeks later...

Just received my order of fresh foie gras today - delivered from Chef Club Direct on the day and time specified, packed in styrofoam with dry ice to keep cool. I've just now separated the lobes of foie gras, deveined and it's macerating in Armagnac, salt and pepper. Looks and feels very high quality. Tomorrow I'll simply cook in a bain marie to make a terrine de foie gras as a pre-starter for the Christmas meal.

Thanks for the suggestion, Moby. It looks like you came up trumps.

Marc